Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

7 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Rodgers cronies that are here are the biggest issue. Nate Hackett was such a horrible hire and I think we all knew it

Agreed.  If Rodgers would not have gone down, it is quite possible that Hackett would look good so I do not necessarily fault the hire.  My issue is that Rodgers and his posse never should have been brought in here in the first place.  I was NOT on the AR bandwagon.  I prefered Carr.

The biggest problem with this team is the insane loyalty to the starting players.  Zach, Tomlinson, Brown, Uzomah, Lazard never should have been handed the starting role or should at least be on a short leash.  I am not sure if Saleh is truly stubborn in his refusal to bench Zach and others or if he is just being a good soldier.  Personally, I think Saleh is just not confident enough in Boyle (probably justified) and Siemen is not yet ready.  Sadly, Zach may be our best option ATM.

Forgetting QB and WR for the moment.  Until this OL is even just competent, any QB we throw back there will struggle.  The run game will struggle.  I will be calling for JD's head if he does not draft a FRP OT and at least a day 2 or early day 3 iOL. regardless of what happens in FA.  At some point you have to learn from your past doings.  So far, JD has not.

I have not watched much Jets football this year because I know how it will look.  I want to be entertained.  The Jets are not entertaining, even when they win.  It is boring-*** football.  I watch other games or do other things.  The Jets are ruining the fun and entertainment of football for me.  I've had enough.  Until they can trot out a competitive team on both sides of the ball, I will probably continue ignoring them on game day.  Ah well, maybe next year.

Here's the crux of it all, no matter how good the Jets D is or will wind up being. The Jets D could turn out to be the best in the NFL, numero uno, and it will not mean a hill of beans because we have an offense that struggles to put 6 points on the board. 

My son said something interesting concerning the Jets struggles offensively, he said "It feels like the offense has to go 95 yards to score any points". There are no games on the remaining schedule that the Jets are guaranteed a win.

Before and during the season, we thought collectively, we should win this game, that game, we should have a record of this and that and make the playoffs. With the way the Jets are playing now on offense they may not win another game. 

Hackett has shown if the QB is not A.R. he's just not a very good OC. I believe that Zach is handcuffed, just do enough Zach that you don't lose us the game. The problem with this is that their OL SUCKS!!!!! and has SUCKED for years, and year after year, we put a bandaid on it over and over. 8 sacks of Zach, how many pressures, how many dropped passes, the WR room SUCKS with the exception of Wilson. 

How on earth is Breeze Hall supposed to have success when they are sitting on him, when the OC's game calling is so obvious to the D and the OL can't move anyone off the spot.

It becomes easy to place all the blame on the QB, but watch the game with a discerning eye, and you will see a totally different game. Give up 14 points the first Q which are self inflicted, add in a FG. You know what you have with this team a loss. That means the Jets who struggle to put 6 on the board (FG's) would have to score 18 or more. 

Good luck with that with this current crew. 

The Jets should have lost the Giants game and they would have been on a 2 game losing streak, losing to the worse team in football, and 4-5. 

This offense isn't scaring anyone, knowing that 7 points could allow you to win against this club.

If Hackett can't save offense without Rodgers then he has to go.   Rodgers has to stomach it and plays for different OC.  He always complained about OC and offense for many years and yet he still played well on the field.  One more season won't hurt him.

Edited by JetsandI

Top candidates to replace Robert Saleh in 2024 just in case.

Dave Canales was qb coach for Seahawks when Geno Smith became solid NFL qb. Now he is with Buccaneers as OC where there is no viable qb to rely on. He has managed to make the most of it on the field.   Imagine that if he runs the offense with legit qb at the helm.

Eric Bieniemy has done excellent job with Sam Howell's progression.  He has been able to shorten holding football time to avoid sacks and drive good drives to help Commanders to stay competitive as of late. This shows he has a dozen of different plays under his skin and he doesn't stay with ancient plays when they clearly don't work favorably.

Ben Johnson has been solid OC for Lions. Jared Goff is able to spread all the field for conservative and aggressive plays under his watch. I shall believe Rodgers will readily accept to serve under him for 2 more seasons after this season.

35 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Top candidates to replace Robert Saleh in 2024 just in case.

Dave Canales was qb coach for Seahawks when Geno Smith became solid NFL qb. Now he is with Buccaneers as OC where there is no viable qb to rely on. He has managed to make the most of it on the field.   Imagine that if he runs the offense with legit qb at the helm.

Eric Bieniemy has done excellent job with Sam Howell's progression.  He has been able to shorten holding football time to avoid sacks and drive good drives to help Commanders to stay competitive as of late. This shows he has a dozen of different plays under his skin and he doesn't stay with ancient plays when they clearly don't work favorably.

Ben Johnson has been solid OC for Lions. Jared Goff is able to spread all the field for conservative and aggressive plays under his watch. I shall believe Rodgers will readily accept to serve under him for 2 more seasons after this season.

No on Bieniemy for me. He has been good but I don't think players like him and not many would come running to play for him. You had some complants about him in KC and Wash so I would pass on him. 

My top guy is still Kellen Moore. I think he is the next big stud HC coming up. His OC at Dallas was great and now with LAC is great. 

If Saleh stays then I want a new OC and Klif Kingsbury is the guy I want. 

31 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

No on Bieniemy for me. He has been good but I don't think players like him and not many would come running to play for him. You had some complants about him in KC and Wash so I would pass on him. 

My top guy is still Kellen Moore. I think he is the next big stud HC coming up. His OC at Dallas was great and now with LAC is great. 

If Saleh stays then I want a new OC and Klif Kingsbury is the guy I want. 

Those complaints must be coming from spoiled brats so I ignore them.   However, the pressure of NY/NJ may make him drink again. That is something I am wary of at the moment.

Kellen Moore definitely in that candidate pool.

I am not crazy about Kliff Kingsbury and his character but he could work there as OC.   Jets have to convince him to work with Jets instead of a team that would draft Caleb Williams. Me think.

4 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

2021 - 2023

2023 ZW is much better than whatever we had to watch 2021 and 2022.

I think that includes these first 8 games.

Is he though? Anything tangible to back that claim up? He’s statistically the worst QB in the league yet again in 2023, only ahead of a rookie Bryce Young.

Improving from 34 to 31… lol

Edited by GangGreen420

2 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

I think that includes these first 8 games.

Is he though? Anything tangible to back that claim up? He’s statistically the worst QB in the league yet again in 2023, only ahead of a rookie Bryce Young.

Improving from 34 to 31… lol

Not counting the Dallas game, he's been much better at not throwing picks, has lead 3 fourth quarter comebacks, and is now only partly the reason we lose games instead of being the sole reason (this week the loss was a team effort).

The floor on Zach is well below sea-level, so yeah, up from there isn't all the good, but where he is is progression nonetheless.

I doubt we're going to fire anyone because of Rodgers. 

I know I'm the only one who is interested in him, but I would be interested in looking into Anthony Lynn. He wouldn't be in my top-3 or anything, but his time with the Chargers was interesting. 

Year 1: 9-7

Year 2: 12-4

Year 3: 5-11

Year 4: 7-9

The interesting part to me is that year 4 is when he got Herbert. Herbert threw for 66.6%    4,336yds 31tds/10ints. On top of that, 7 of his losses were by 1 position scores. 4 of those games would have shifted him to 11-5 with a rookie QB. Also, that was 2020. Teams had to change the way they practiced and everything. I doubt it happens, but he would be a sleeper imo. 

8 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I doubt we're going to fire anyone because of Rodgers. 

I know I'm the only one who is interested in him, but I would be interested in looking into Anthony Lynn. He wouldn't be in my top-3 or anything, but his time with the Chargers was interesting. 

Year 1: 9-7

Year 2: 12-4

Year 3: 5-11

Year 4: 7-9

The interesting part to me is that year 4 is when he got Herbert. Herbert threw for 66.6%    4,336yds 31tds/10ints. On top of that, 7 of his losses were by 1 position scores. 4 of those games would have shifted him to 11-5 with a rookie QB. Also, that was 2020. Teams had to change the way they practiced and everything. I doubt it happens, but he would be a sleeper imo. 

He was replaced by Ben Johnson as OC for Lions.  That certainly doesn't sound appealing for Jets. Well, at least.