Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

53 minutes ago, drew39k said:

I'm in on most of this. I don't think trading multiple picks for a QB is the right play though. I'm fine with selecting one in the third or later to compete with Zach, but anything before that or more than that is a waste of assets when we should be going all in on Rodgers likely last season. 

I don’t disagree. Depends on how things shake up. I’m also on board with drafting OL every pick. 😂

If Rodgers is definitely here for 2 more years then we can get away with waiting another year for a QB. 

• Like 1

I know we all want to blame Zach Wilson. But watching his throws vs the Giants again, he was under constant pressure. Dexter Lawrence absolutely game wrecked us. He was consistently blowing up the middle.

Kayvon got 3 sacks not because of anything special he did, but because Lawrence would push the QB out  and never allowed Wilson a pocket to step into.  So Kayvon could just run wide and get the QB as hes running from the middle. Wilson is not perfect and misses guys at times, but football is a team sport. When you have zero run game, and horrible pass protection, plus Wrs that drop passes, its not giving the QB the best chance to succeed. 

I think Wilson improved on things that he was extremely pathetic at last season. 

8 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

I know we all want to blame Zach Wilson. But watching his throws vs the Giants again, he was under constant pressure. Dexter Lawrence absolutely game wrecked us. He was consistently blowing up the middle.

Kayvon got 3 sacks not because of anything special he did, but because Lawrence would push the QB out  and never allowed Wilson a pocket to step into.  So Kayvon could just run wide and get the QB as hes running from the middle. Wilson is not perfect and misses guys at times, but football is a team sport. When you have zero run game, and horrible pass protection, plus Wrs that drop passes, its not giving the QB the best chance to succeed. 

I think Wilson improved on things that he was extremely pathetic at last season. 

I kind of agree here but Wilson is still making bonehead plays. On that 4th down last week he took the sack at the very end and they should have lost because of that. How the heck can you not just throw the ball down field. Who cares where it goes it is the last play for them until they got very lucky. Plays like this is why Wilson will never be a top 5 or 10 QB in the league. He will always be around 20th best in the league. He is below average QB. No line will every change this. 

Love ranks last in completion rate (57.7%) among the 32 qualifying quarterbacks, just behind the Jets' Zach Wilson (58.3%). The Packers rank 25th in total yards per game and 21st in passing yards per game.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38794373/packers-gm-unsure-jordan-love-long-term-future-franchise

Shouldve included Wilson in that trade.

muppets-laughing.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Yes, I wish Q was as good as Lawrence.  And Becton loves to run those speed rushers wide, so combine that with Zach not stepping up, you get 3 sacks.

Well, "tanking" seems to be all the rage in the NFL this year. The commanders are all in, the Giants are not far from the top of the draft pecking order. The Raiders seem to be all in after firing everyone who was anyone with the team. The Panthers and Cardinals should be in the hunt as well, although their just badly run organizations.

14 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Yes, I wish Q was as good as Lawrence.  And Becton loves to run those speed rushers wide, so combine that with Zach not stepping up, you get 3 sacks.

Please lets be clear about something here Becton played like a statue, Thibs made him look below average as a T, Lawrence was blowing up everything. THIS is what happens when your OL has no continuity and strangers are playing together with no idea how the other guy is going to respond to pressure. 

The Jets OL has been a mess for 3 years, Becton was out for 2 and now AVT will miss back to back years. 2 first round draft choices. If the Jets could put together a cohesive OL one which could compete, never mind be elite perhaps Aaron Rodgers would be behind center and Zach could be riding the bench and learning.

But as it stands right now, Zach is behind perhaps the worse OL in football, never mind the knit picking over his faults, never mind that our WR group leads the NFL in drops per game. Never mind that B.Hall's touchdown came on a pass play, the guy was hit before he could even begin.

Yes Zach has his problems, all fixable, but I will tell you what he doesn't have and that's an INT in the last 5 games, and he's been under center during this 3 game winning streak.

Perhaps some of the blame has to be on the coaching, especially the OC, and Saleh for not allowing the kid to play to his strength and being so predictable as an offense.

22 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I kind of agree here but Wilson is still making bonehead plays. On that 4th down last week he took the sack at the very end and they should have lost because of that. How the heck can you not just throw the ball down field. Who cares where it goes it is the last play for them until they got very lucky. Plays like this is why Wilson will never be a top 5 or 10 QB in the league. He will always be around 20th best in the league. He is below average QB. No line will every change this. 

He isn't perfect and still needs to show a lot more. But I wonder how Rodgers would be doing behind that OL.  With all the injuries right now, the OL is a issue. Specifically inside. When Wilson had a pocket he made some nice throws, but it was rare vs the Giants. Lawrence had 15 QB pressures. 

We need Joe Tippmann to get healthy quick and take over center, hopefully he is the center for the next decade. The way the Jets were talking, it sounds like if Duane Brown can play he is going to return to the starting lineup and probably be at LT with Becton at RT. 

2 hours ago, Big T said:

Please lets be clear about something here Becton played like a statue, Thibs made him look below average as a T, Lawrence was blowing up everything. THIS is what happens when your OL has no continuity and strangers are playing together with no idea how the other guy is going to respond to pressure. 

The Jets OL has been a mess for 3 years, Becton was out for 2 and now AVT will miss back to back years. 2 first round draft choices. If the Jets could put together a cohesive OL one which could compete, never mind be elite perhaps Aaron Rodgers would be behind center and Zach could be riding the bench and learning.

But as it stands right now, Zach is behind perhaps the worse OL in football, never mind the knit picking over his faults, never mind that our WR group leads the NFL in drops per game. Never mind that B.Hall's touchdown came on a pass play, the guy was hit before he could even begin.

Yes Zach has his problems, all fixable, but I will tell you what he doesn't have and that's an INT in the last 5 games, and he's been under center during this 3 game winning streak.

Perhaps some of the blame has to be on the coaching, especially the OC, and Saleh for not allowing the kid to play to his strength and being so predictable as an offense.

Rewatching it, honestly I think the bigger issue was Lawrence was destroying the middle. He forced Wilson to bounce out which allowed Thibs to run wide around  to make sacks. Basically Thibs sacks were all because Lawrence destroyed the middle.  Anyone could get a sack like that.  Cause if Wilson had a pocket, all he had to do was step up and Thibs wouldn't come close to the QB. Which is the OTs job to push the DE out wide to form a pocket. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

There is a rumor that Corey Davis is going to return, I really hope that is true. We could use him. 

I was wondering about this. JD did make calls to the Raiders for Adams, Tampa about Evans but they all said no. JD probably had is price line and it was over what he wanted to give up so I think he might bank on Davis coming back. 

5 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I was wondering about this. JD did make calls to the Raiders for Adams, Tampa about Evans but they all said no. JD probably had is price line and it was over what he wanted to give up so I think he might bank on Davis coming back. 

Jets don't have 2nd round pick so it is going to be difficult to pull a trade for either.  Evans for lower compensation since he will hit FA after this season.

Let’s not completely overblow the offensive line issues. Miami has had the worst offensive line all season and they are not only functional but the best offense in the league.

The injuries suck, but this is happening all over the NFL. Rodgers had Billy Turner as a starting OT in Green Bay.

NYG game was ugly but what do you expect when your down to your 3rd C.