Montez Sweat Traded to Chicago for 2024 2nd

e16bball

I personally think it would be stupid to trade both DE. You're simply creating holes at that point and you get stuck in the mud as a franchise doing this. We've done it several times. You get rid of guys and then immediately use draft picks to replace them and you're never really improving. So while fans are salivating over a 3rd round pick for Chase we will immediately have massive holes on what was once a strength similar to what Rivera did to the OL. There is no guarantee you're getting two more 10 sack pace guys in the next draft and it will be even dumber if it encourages them to use our first round pick on an edge rusher. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IHatesnyder said:

Not gonna lie I’m interested what Toohill can do full time. More playing time for  Jones also and I think Casey can net 8 sacks at least this season.

Toohill and JSW split the role last season. He didn't do much. He's a good rotational, back up DE but he's nothing more than that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I personally think it would be stupid to trade both DE. You're simply creating holes at that point and you get stuck in the mud as a franchise doing this. We've done it several times. You get rid of guys and then immediately use draft picks to replace them and you're never really improving. So while fans are salivating over a 3rd round pick for Chase we will immediately have massive holes on what was once a strength similar to what Rivera did to the OL. There is no guarantee you're getting two more 10 sack pace guys in the next draft and it will be even dumber if it encourages them to use our first round pick on an edge rusher. 

Yep

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

To be fair JSW hasn't really done anything this year. Toohill has 4 sacks in a spot fill role. 

Yeah but JSW is a run defender. So, I think he starts and plays most of the run downs but Toohill will rotate in & play passing downs.

9 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Those are the kind of guys who are replaceable for good franchises, IMO.  The historically competitive teams don’t pay for depth, they let those guys go when their contracts are up.  

You are right, they are replaceable.  But I also think they are young contributors who have upside and why replace something when you already have it? 

We lost 1 starting DE and the other starter won't show up to OTAs.  So even keeping one of these guys around at DE for stability isn't a bad idea.  OTAs matter with new staff.

Just now, ARTMONK HOF said:

I Wonder how involved Eugene Shen is on these trades. 

I'd have to think analytics and age played into the decision to trade Sweat instead of Chase and what we got back in trading Sweat vs what teams were offering for Chase so I'd say he was involved in presenting that. 

I will say this, getting that high second round pick allows you to take Brock Bowers if you want now. If we aren't in position to get Fashanu or Alt, as I suspect we won't be, you can potentially get back into the back end of the first round to snag someone like Mims or Graham Barton. This opens up a lot of options for the front office. I won't lie, coming away with Bowers, Mims/Barton and Trotter Jr in the first two rounds would be pretty damn sweet. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, offbyone said:

You are right, they are replaceable.  But I also think they are young contributors who have upside and why replace something when you already have it? 

We lost 1 starting DE and the other starter won't show up to OTAs.  So even keeping one of these guys around at DE for stability isn't a bad idea.  OTAs matter with new staff.

I thought Chase showed up to them but he missed a few days because he was rehabbing or doing something with that.

Montez Sweat also missed some of this years OTAs.

Edited by turtle28

Just now, lavar703 said:

I will say this, getting that high second round pick allows you to take Brock Bowers if you want now. If we aren't in position to get Fashanu or Alt, as I suspect we won't be, you can potentially get back into the back end of the first round to snag someone like Mims or Graham Barton. This opens up a lot of options for the front office. I won't lie, coming away with Bowers, Mims/Barton and Trotter Jr in the first two rounds would be pretty damn sweet. 

That would be awesome 

Just now, turtle28 said:

I'd have to think analytics and age played into the decision to trade Sweat instead of Chase and what we got back in trading Sweat vs what teams were offering for Chase so I'd say he was involved in presenting that. 

I don't see how the analytics would support Young.  The analytics would indicate that Young is available about 30% less than Sweat.  When Young is available, Young averages 10% less sacks per game, almost 50% qb hits per game, 15%< TFLs per game, etc.  

Chase Young is the splashy player.  #2 overall, etc.  Fan favorite, etc.  That is why we kept him.  (if we do)

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah but JSW is a run defender. So, I think he starts and plays most of the run downs but Toohill will rotate in & play passing downs.

TBH, I'm done with run defender DEs. We need to get after the QB. Our LB core should fill the gaps vacated by the pass rushers. 

I'm 100% giving additional snaps to Casey Toohill over others unless we are talking the young guys, Jones or Henry, who should be pretty fresh.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I don't see how the analytics would support Young.  The analytics would indicate that Young is available about 30% less than Sweat.  When Young is available, Young averages 10% less sacks per game, almost 50% qb hits per game, 15%< TFLs per game, etc.  

Chase Young is the splashy player.  #2 overall, etc.  Fan favorite, etc.  That is why we kept him.  (if we do)

The analytics support Chase being the better player. His pass rush win rate is like 3 times that of Sweat. 

• Like 1