Montez Sweat Traded to Chicago for 2024 2nd

e16bball

2 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Albert Breer

The Commanders have taken calls on backup QB Jacoby Brissett, but the price has been prohibitive for other teams—they’ve asked for a Day 2 pick. We’ll see if the price comes down with Josh Dobbs going for a late-round pick swap.

I would stick to my guns on Brissett. Howell is entrenched, but what happens if he gets hurt. Brissett's cost to keep isn't a hindrance. Tell the other teams, this is the price, pay it or we keep him. (Same should be said for Chase Young)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I don't see how the analytics would support Young.  The analytics would indicate that Young is available about 30% less than Sweat.  When Young is available, Young averages 10% less sacks per game, almost 50% qb hits per game, 15%< TFLs per game, etc.  

Chase Young is the splashy player.  #2 overall, etc.  Fan favorite, etc.  That is why we kept him.  (if we do)

Not this year. All the pressures, same sacks, Chase is 3 years younger.

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

I don't see how the analytics would support Young.  The analytics would indicate that Young is available about 30% less than Sweat.  When Young is available, Young averages 10% less sacks per game, almost 50% qb hits per game, 15%< TFLs per game, etc.  

Chase Young is the splashy player.  #2 overall, etc.  Fan favorite, etc.  That is why we kept him.  (if we do)

I don't get impression from this forum Young was a fan favorite. 

22 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Apparently we had no clear desire to trade Sweat, but the Bears hopped in with an offer that couldn’t be refused.  

As I said in the NFL News thread, it's actually a pretty decent return on investment. 

From the 26th pick and a 5 year rental, 35.5 sacks, 9 FFs and 1 sweet INT TD against Dallas for a (potentially) early 2nd in next year's draft is a good deal to me. 

• Like 1

Grant Paulsen

This isn't surprising. I had heard he wanted he was hoping to end up with the Falcons. I think the Bears will either have to pay him $25M+ AAV or tag him.

Ben Devine

Newest Chicago #Bears DE Montez Sweat indicated that he’s not currently ready to sign an extension. “I just want to consider everything around me before I make a decision.” 😳

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Grant Paulsen

This isn't surprising. I had heard he wanted he was hoping to end up with the Falcons. I think the Bears will either have to pay him $25M+ AAV or tag him.

Ben Devine

Newest Chicago #Bears DE Montez Sweat indicated that he’s not currently ready to sign an extension. “I just want to consider everything around me before I make a decision.” 😳

Good for Montez. Balls in his court and he can make some money AND eventually go where he wants to go. 😎 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I think the Bears got a very good player for a modest price. I also think its extremely stupid if they can't get a deal done with him. I figured that is something they would've worked out with this agent prior to making the trade. 

sounds like something we'd do/ Spend a high draft pick on a go no where season and then not have a deal in place. Maybe we ain't the dumbest team in the league after all .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I think the Bears got a very good player for a modest price. I also think its extremely stupid if they can't get a deal done with him. I figured that is something they would've worked out with this agent prior to making the trade. 

Can they have contact with the agent for a player on another team is the question.  I know in baseball in the off-season they grant those requests, but I don’t think it happens in season.  

The Bears can still franchise tag him.  Given the lack of potential impact edge rushers in free agency and the draft, it’s still a solid move from the Bears I think.  

• Like 2

Montez was a great athlete and an above average player but he wasn't a killer. Let's be real, no one feared Montez Sweat. He beat up on bad teams/players. I'm not sure what on earth the Bears are doing. They should be rebuilding, but I think the GM is starting to feel the heat after sticking with Justin Fields.