Antonio Pierce named HC

NCOUGHMAN

If Pierce earns the job, great, but I’m worried about Mark rolling with him to avoid a Bisaccia like situation. Similar to the way USC gave Clay Helton the keys to the program because they didn’t want to make the same mistake as they did with Orgeron. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TLO said:

If Pierce earns the job, great, but I’m worried about Mark rolling with him to avoid a Bisaccia like situation. Similar to the way USC gave Clay Helton the keys to the program because they didn’t want to make the same mistake as they did with Orgeron. 

What do you think Record would have to be for him to win the job

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

What do you think Record would have to be for him to win the job

I want to see basic execution, no obvious bonehead mistakes like McDaniels made with the 4th downs, good time management, discipline and the offence actually using our weapons. If, as an interim HC he can come in and make it look like the team is buying in, playing in a cohesive manner to what looks like a unified plan and our offence starts to function then he has to be in the mix. If he has a winning record to finish out the season then you’d have to consider him.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I want to see basic execution, no obvious bonehead mistakes like McDaniels made with the 4th downs, good time management, discipline and the offence actually using our weapons. If, as an interim HC he can come in and make it look like the team is buying in, playing in a cohesive manner to what looks like a unified plan and our offence starts to function then he has to be in the mix. If he has a winning record to finish out the season then you’d have to consider him.

So like 9-8?

9 hours ago, TLO said:

I had the same thought, but didn't post it. Figured I'd wait until the end of the season to see how it went. But you're absolutely right. An NFL example, Freddy Kitchens in Cleveland. 

51 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

Looking through his resume he does have defensive coordinator experience but I’m assuming he’s operating as more of CEO type HC ?

That's what I gathered. Hired a player coach who can defer to the coordinators to run their units. Versus promoting Graham and having him handle both duties.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TLO said:

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I had the same thought, but didn't post it. Figured I'd wait until the end of the season to see how it went. But you're absolutely right. An NFL example, Freddy Kitchens in Cleveland. 

Thought the same thing. I could see a situation where we improve and win some games, and Mark won’t want to make the same “mistake” he made by not retaining Bisaccia.

The problem is, it wasn’t the decision to let Bisaccia walk that was the issue; it was who he selected to replace Rich.

I would hate for us to roll with a guy this time just because he didn’t the last time and it didn’t work out.

FWIW, I really like what I hear from Pierce so far. He feels like a leader. If he goes over .500 in his remaining games then you absolutely have to consider him, based on a few metrics.

But it’s an interesting dynamic with the Bisaccia comparison which could get interesting.

• Like 3

I don’t know but he looks like lightning in a bottle that we need. One thing that stood out was the locker room clicks part of the interview. Pierce said no more of that. As a coach you hate the clicks cause it doesn’t promote teamwork it breeds individuality. I like that he’s born a raider you can tell how much this opportunity means to pierce. Kelly idk about tho

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

So like 9-8?

I think we have 9 games left, so if he goes 5-4 that would be huge to me, that would be really impressive given where we’re at.

Though if we’re competitive in games against good teams even if we lose that would’ve massive to me also. Can he put guys in position to accentuate their strengths and negate their weaknesses? Does he do the obvious things and the simple things well? Those would be good indicators.

42 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I think we have 9 games left, so if he goes 5-4 that would be huge to me, that would be really impressive given where we’re at.

Though if we’re competitive in games against good teams even if we lose that would’ve massive to me also. Can he put guys in position to accentuate their strengths and negate their weaknesses? Does he do the obvious things and the simple things well? Those would be good indicators.

Wanna see how the team responds especially on offense. That’s gonna be a huge indicator. I always say a team is a direct reflection of their coach 

• Like 1