Week 9 thoughts / GDT

Mid Iowa

For only the second time this year I've got to sit down and watch the game.

Right out of the gates, our defense is playing like absolute crap, except Carl Granderson. In fact, he's playing so well I wonder who he will be playing for next year, cuz we certainly won't hang on to him LOL!

4 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

For only the second time this year I've got to sit down and watch the game.

Right out of the gates, our defense is playing like absolute crap, except Carl Granderson. In fact, he's playing so well I wonder who he will be playing for next year, cuz we certainly won't hang on to him LOL!

Granderson has already signed his extension 

4/$52m

Edited by Dome
  • Like 2

The offense finally gets it together and has actually looked pretty good the last 3 weeks...and the defense has fallen off a cliff lol. 5 turnovers, and some very timely ones, but man...BAGENT was tearing us a new one all day. We have zero pass rush, Cam Jordan is absolutely COOKED. I know DA likes his big run stuffing DE but it might be time to take a freaky pass rusher. 

35 minutes ago, Kingram said:

The offense finally gets it together and has actually looked pretty good the last 3 weeks...and the defense has fallen off a cliff lol. 5 turnovers, and some very timely ones, but man...BAGENT was tearing us a new one all day. We have zero pass rush, Cam Jordan is absolutely COOKED. I know DA likes his big run stuffing DE but it might be time to take a freaky pass rusher. 

I'm ok with keeping Cam around past the breaking point, he seems like one of the best veterans you could ever ask for as far as the locker room goes.  

2 hours ago, Dome said:

Granderson has already signed his extension 

4/$52m

Wish we would've signed Adebo for cheap. He's been balling. If he doesn't get grabby he's genuinely one of the better DBs in the league. Reminds me a lot of Marcus Peters with his ball skills.

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

I'm ok with keeping Cam around past the breaking point, he seems like one of the best veterans you could ever ask for as far as the locker room goes.  

He's a great veteran, but he's lost a step. He really shouldn't be our starter after this year, but he likely will be because we don't have another option because we've whiffed on every DE pick in the draft.

I'm not saying we should cut him (we can't because of his contract anyways), but we need someone who can rush the passer opposite of Granderson. Cams too slow nowadays, so QBs escape any of his pressures with ease. We need to stop going after those big run stuffing DEs like @Kingram said and get someone fast who can really get after the QB.

1 hour ago, JMG5 said:

Wish we would've signed Adebo for cheap. He's been balling. If he doesn't get grabby he's genuinely one of the better DBs in the league. Reminds me a lot of Marcus Peters with his ball skills.

Reminds me of Breaux… not in play style, just his fit…  guy nobody really knows about cause he’s not a star but is a really strong #2

Bagent picked us apart in the 1st half, but we have all of 1 pro game and just his college career of film to watch. I was happy with how they adjusted in the 2nd half, and committed more turnovers than we've seen in a single game in a long, long time.

I was really disappointed in the lack of tackling, the bad angles and over pursuits etc... The Bears backfield (which is actually top 5 in the NFL) made our D look silly. Had it not been for a rookie QB, we'd have lost this game.

If we fire Carmichael (please, Lord, make it be!) we need to send the kicking coach with him. Groupe is horrendous, and Hedley Lamar is a joke of a punter.

And finally, our O-line has yet to get it together in the run game. Most of the running plays are taking too long to develop, and by the time the RB gets to the line, the line is already beat, the lanes collapse, and that's that. Under 3 Yards per rush... that's a joke. 

Glad to see Olave stepping up, finally.

Anyway, a win is a win, and I'll take it. Especially with the rest of the NFC South falling, so we're at #1 in the division.

Ever since the 4th Quarter in the Jags game a couple weeks ago, it seems like the offense has started to come together a bit more and players seem to be on the same page. It hasn't been perfect, but certainly much improved from where it was at earlier this season. It's still wild to me that this team could easily be 7-2 if our kicker wasn't so bad in clutch situations. With our easy schedule the rest of the season, I'd be surprised if we don't win the NFC South. We have too much talent on both sides of the ball to not be the favorites at this point. Despite a poor showing in the 1st half against the Bears, our defense stepped up when in counted and helped us seal the game in the 2nd half with many key plays. It really seemed like the defense just was caught off guard with how mobile Bagent was in the 1st half and was able to adjust in the 2nd half. 

• Like 2

On 11/7/2023 at 10:14 AM, tyler735 said:

Ever since the 4th Quarter in the Jags game a couple weeks ago, it seems like the offense has started to come together a bit more and players seem to be on the same page. It hasn't been perfect, but certainly much improved from where it was at earlier this season. It's still wild to me that this team could easily be 7-2 if our kicker wasn't so bad in clutch situations. With our easy schedule the rest of the season, I'd be surprised if we don't win the NFC South. We have too much talent on both sides of the ball to not be the favorites at this point. Despite a poor showing in the 1st half against the Bears, our defense stepped up when in counted and helped us seal the game in the 2nd half with many key plays. It really seemed like the defense just was caught off guard with how mobile Bagent was in the 1st half and was able to adjust in the 2nd half. 

Probably because, unlike the Jags, the Colts and the Bears are complete trash on defense.  

The Vikings will be a good test, as they are about middle of the road statistically, both offense and defense points/drive.  Should be an interesting game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Probably because, unlike the Jags, the Colts and the Bears are complete trash on defense.  

The Vikings will be a good test, as they are about middle of the road statistically, both offense and defense points/drive.  Should be an interesting game.

If Foster Morreau catches that easy touchdown pass against the Jaguars, we end up with over 30 points against a good defense. Since that big 4th quarter against the Jaguars, we have continued to look good on offense. Sure it doesn’t hurt that we are playing against bad defenses (which is basically our entire schedule as the NFC is mostly a joke this year), but the team still has to show they can get it done whether it’s a good defense or bad defense and the past 2 games have been a big step in the right direction. 

• Like 1

I think the Saints are headed in the right direction. Only things seem to be lagging behind are "4 quarters defense" and the joke of a kicking game. Why did they let Big Nutz Lutz go anyway? Money??? At least he was clutch 75% of the time as opposed to 25% of the time.

But yeah, @tyler735 has a point... Moreau makes his catch... we're good. On top of that, if Grupe is not Sir Choke-a-lot... we're easily 7-2.

Edited by jcvoodoo
  • Like 1