Game 9: Detroit Lions (6-2) @ LA Chargers (3-4)

Louis Friend

3 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Also not adding secondary at trade deadline is looking worse.

These guys needed help 

The price for a player that would have genuinely helped them would have been pretty steep.  I agree with the need at CB but teams aren't letting quality DBs go for a bag of footballs.  One thing to consider:  Most folks thought this would be a 4-5 year rebuild.  Our DBs aren't perfect but they are much better than 2021 or 2022.

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

I don't know what is going on in the locker room.  However, after watching every Lions game this season, it seems like Aaron Glenn doesn't really trust his players.  He has real talent on the defense this year but he schemes things like he has the same group of players he had in 2021.  

Besides Jack Campbell, Brian Branch and Cam Sutton… it is the same group of players he had last season that had one of the worst defenses. 

We added 3 DBs in free agency and two of them have been on IR all season. We never addressed DT, we brought back every average pass rusher we had last season next to Hutch. 

TBH, outside of Sutton, the rooks, and improved play by McNeill, what does AG have to help him out? He was hoping for at least a rebuilt secondary and that is not there. 

5 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

The Lions win today was the first time the Lions have won in Los Angeles since 1993. 

It was also their first road win against the Chargers in team history.

I was at the game back when SD was stadium and Detroit lost 50 something to teens. Many years back. Today reminded me of that good trip to SD 

• Like 1

Just now, Louis Friend said:

Besides Jack Campbell, Brian Branch and Cam Sutton… it is the same group of players he had last season that had one of the worst defenses. 

We added 3 DBs in free agency and two of them have been on IR all season. We never addressed DT, we brought back every average pass rusher we had last season next to Hutch. 

TBH, outside of Sutton, the rooks, and improved play by McNeill, what does AG have to help him out? He was hoping for at least a rebuilt secondary and that is not there. 

Yea and Campbell hasn't done a lot 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Yea and Campbell hasn't done a lot 

You keep harping on Dan Campbell.  What exactly hasn't he done?  Previously, you said that he was a good HC but wasn't great because of time management.  Clearly, that isn't an issue.  He was consistently aggressive and successful on offense.  Special Teams had a solid day.  I can't really think of one decision on special teams or offense that really hurt the team.  If you are going to trash say Dan Campbell by saying "hasn't done a lot" then you need to back that up with something tangible and/or concrete.

The Defense added Cam Sutton who as I recall was the 11th best CB in the NFL last year.  He and Brad Holmes kept Alex Anzalone who is a smart veteran LB who is playing very well.  We added Brian Branch.  Aidan Hutchinson has improved from his rookie year.  Kerby Joseph is in his second season rather than being a rookie.  Jack Campbell has played fairly well as a rookie.  Quality resources have been added to the defense.  The defense may not be on the level of the Ravens but they have a respectable talent level. 

Dan Campbell isn't going to micromanage his coordinators and he shouldn't have to micromanage Aaron Glenn.  Aaron Glenn has improved his in-game adjustments this year but today looked not great.  The same pass-rush issues have been coming up for all but two games this year.  The use of James Houston prior to his injury is a good example of questionable scheming and player usage.  He was spending as much time in coverage as he was rushing the passer.  This is a scheme and coaching problem that lies squarely with Aaron Glenn and his staff.  This passive "containment" that is being played doesn't fit the identity of the team or the skills of our players. 

11 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

You keep harping on Dan Campbell.  What exactly hasn't he done?  Previously, you said that he was a good HC but wasn't great because of time management.  Clearly, that isn't an issue.  He was consistently aggressive and successful on offense.  Special Teams had a solid day.  I can't really think of one decision on special teams or offense that really hurt the team.  If you are going to trash say Dan Campbell by saying "hasn't done a lot" then you need to back that up with something tangible and/or concrete.

The Defense added Cam Sutton who as I recall was the 11th best CB in the NFL last year.  He and Brad Holmes kept Alex Anzalone who is a smart veteran LB who is playing very well.  We added Brian Branch.  Aidan Hutchinson has improved from his rookie year.  Kerby Joseph is in his second season rather than being a rookie.  Jack Campbell has played fairly well as a rookie.  Quality resources have been added to the defense.  The defense may not be on the level of the Ravens but they have a respectable talent level. 

Dan Campbell isn't going to micromanage his coordinators and he shouldn't have to micromanage Aaron Glenn.  Aaron Glenn has improved his in-game adjustments this year but today looked not great.  The same pass-rush issues have been coming up for all but two games this year.  The use of James Houston prior to his injury is a good example of questionable scheming and player usage.  He was spending as much time in coverage as he was rushing the passer.  This is a scheme and coaching problem that lies squarely with Aaron Glenn and his staff.  This passive "containment" that is being played doesn't fit the identity of the team or the skills of our players. 

He said Campbell, not Dan Campbell. He was discussing Jack Campbell. 

edit: This just continues my belief that you don’t even read what we post/discuss unless you are trying to find something to contradict. 

Edited by Louis Friend

54 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

edit: This just continues my belief that you don’t even read what we post/discuss unless you are trying to find something to contradict. 

I read the posts clearly enough to pay attention to the sign on the wall:  Don't feed the trolls.

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

One thing about Jack Campbell that most folks didn't notice:  He got caught in a mis-match and was covering Keenan Allen.  He allowed the catch but made the tackle almost immediately and didn't allow a significant amount of YAC.  He should not have been in that position but he still managed to limit the damage.  That seems to qualify as doing something significant.

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Bingo. 

Defense was being talked about and the players but hey 

Edited by detfan782004

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I read the posts clearly enough to pay attention to the sign on the wall:  Don't feed the trolls.

So attacking those people and calling them trolls because they have a different opinion?

okay.

I was clearly responding to what he said about adding Campbell to the 2021 defense. 

Nothing in that stuff was about Dan Campbell. 

25 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

So attacking those people and calling them trolls because they have a different opinion?

okay.

I was clearly responding to what he said about adding Campbell to the 2021 defense. 

Nothing in that stuff was about Dan Campbell. 

Pineapple DOES belong on pizza

• Like 2