Game 9: Detroit Lions (6-2) @ LA Chargers (3-4)

Louis Friend

The Lions will have to be fairly aggressive with their pass rush to stay in this game.  If they let Justin Hebert sit in the pocket he will pick that secondary apart.  Keenan Allen and Austin Ekeler are always tough but the on player who is a real mismatch TE Donald Parham Jr.  A pass-catching TE that is 6'8" who moves more like a WR is a significant mismatch.

6 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The Lions will have to be fairly aggressive with their pass rush to stay in this game.  If they let Justin Hebert sit in the pocket he will pick that secondary apart.  Keenan Allen and Austin Ekeler are always tough but the on player who is a real mismatch TE Donald Parham Jr.  A pass-catching TE that is 6'8" who moves more like a WR is a significant mismatch.

He has 13 catches for 104 yards. Why hasn't he been a significant mismatch against anyone else?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

He has 13 catches for 104 yards. Why hasn't he been a significant mismatch against anyone else?

I watched his last game.  He was a real headache as a third option.  Personally, the fact that he doesn't contribute more has to do with how they run their offense.  Keenan Allen is very good.  Quentin Johnson hasn't shown much as a complimentary WR.  Overall, the Chargers offense seems to be a lot less explosive that it should be on paper.  It is probably why the HC is on the hotseat.

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Lions coming off their bye. Should get guys like Ragnow, Jonah, Montgomery back as well as new WR Donovan Peoples-Jones.

Chargers play Monday night. They’ve been hit or miss so far this season. 

Can the Lions come out of the bye with a victory? 

They need to. With Minny hot on their take this is a must win. If not the slope gets slippery. 

Chargers lost to two good teams in KC and Miami and barely lost to a so so Ten and a hit or miss Dallas.

They are one of only two teams I believe with a losing record despite a slight positive point differential. 

They have one of better run defenses I think but can be passed on. 

Chargers on short week but are home. Detroit had more time to prepare.

Think the edge is Detroit but not sure they will hit 30 pts which they haven't since Car 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

I actually feel like Palmer is the player that we need to focus on. 

This is the game where Ben Johnson auditions to be the next HC of the Chargers. 

The Chargers absolutely have talent but for some reason have not been able to put it all together. I'm hoping that we aren't the game where they figure things out. Will be nice to get some key guys back from injury. 

• Like 1

I fully expect this to be one of our tougher games left.  This, Dallas, and the Vikings games are our toughest tests but I am hoping coming off the bye week, getting the Chargers on a short week, and us getting some players back like Monty, Jonah Jackson, and maybe Ragnow should help power us to victory.  This is a scary game given our DBs and pass rush are the weakest part of the D and Herbert can do damage quickly so I think controlling the clock like last game with our run game is going to be important. We dominated the TOP against the Raiders and that helps keep dangerous weapons off the field and out of rhythm. 

Bosa and Kahlil Mack are going to give us trouble similar to Crosby IMO.  Even though Mack isn't the Mack of old, he did have a 6 sack game this year and if our line isn't healthy, we will have problems. The Chargers are second to last in the league in yards allowed per game at 390 and 10th worst scoring D at 24 points per game.  They have the worst pass D in the league and a top 10 run D so it doesn't play well for us controlling the clock but we should be able to take advantage in the pass game.  Screens to Gibbs may be important in this game. 

Similarly they have struggled to run the ball but are a top 10 passing offense.  Injuries are mounting for their WR's so our focus should be on Keenan Allen.  Johnston and Derius Davis have combined for 19 catches this year and their TEs haven't been overly involved yet either with a combined 32 catches from Everett and Parham.  If our S/CB double Allen, we will need to have our other CB and LB lock up their TE and RB to shut them down.  I think we need to keep attacking and blitzing more than Glenn likes but we can't let Herbert get comfortable and pick us apart.  

I am going to say we win 31-27 and move to 7-2. 

• Like 1