Game 9: Detroit Lions (6-2) @ LA Chargers (3-4)

Louis Friend

13 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Besides Jack Campbell, Brian Branch and Cam Sutton… it is the same group of players he had last season that had one of the worst defenses. 

We added 3 DBs in free agency and two of them have been on IR all season. We never addressed DT, we brought back every average pass rusher we had last season next to Hutch. 

TBH, outside of Sutton, the rooks, and improved play by McNeill, what does AG have to help him out? He was hoping for at least a rebuilt secondary and that is not there. 

That defense last year over the final 10 games of the season was a top 10 defense.  Adding in Sutton, Branch, Campbell, and to a much lesser extent Martin along with the improvements from Barnes, Kerby, Hutch, Anzalone and having Walker back from injury should make us better. 

We did lose Houston early and he was one of our key pass rushers last year.  This team locked in last year down the stretch other than the Panthers game.  We have been very good this year other than the Seahawks and this game.  I think its more about game planning for specific players/systems and making in game adjustments that are the issue more than personnel. Find a way to blanket and double Allen.  Blitz more to keep Herbet uncomfortable etc.  

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think it’s more about game planning for specific players/systems and making in game adjustments that are the issue more than personnel. Find a way to blanket and double Allen.  Blitz more to keep Herbert uncomfortable etc.  

Not covering Allen, at all at points, was inexcusable. 

7 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That defense last year over the final 10 games of the season was a top 10 defense.  Adding in Sutton, Branch, Campbell, and to a much lesser extent Martin along with the improvements from Barnes, Kerby, Hutch, Anzalone and having Walker back from injury should make us better. 

We did lose Houston early and he was one of our key pass rushers last year.  This team locked in last year down the stretch other than the Panthers game.  We have been very good this year other than the Seahawks and this game.  I think its more about game planning for specific players/systems and making in game adjustments that are the issue more than personnel. Find a way to blanket and double Allen.  Blitz more to keep Herbet uncomfortable etc.  

nobody working with Hutch to add anything but his bull rush is not helping 

Yesterday's news I know... but I've been beating the drum that Jameson has to learn to catch. I will have to say, he had a nice one in the first half of the game. I hope he keeps doing that. I haven't finished watching the game yet so I'm hoping for more.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Yesterday's news I know... but I've been beating the drum that Jameson has to learn to catch. I will have to say, he had a nice one in the first half of the game. I hope he keeps doing that. I haven't finished watching the game yet so I'm hoping for more.

He played a good game. He was 2-2 for 18 yards but he also had a nice TD called back due to a BS penalty on Decker. He blocked well, especially on Monty’s 75 yarder. He also runs routes that clear the field that allows others to get open. His targets will increase but I’m really liking how he’s playing overall. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

He played a good game. He was 2-2 for 18 yards but he also had a nice TD called back due to a BS penalty on Decker. He blocked well, especially on Monty’s 75 yarder. He also runs routes that clear the field that allows others to get open. His targets will increase but I’m really liking how he’s playing overall. 

yeah, I've always liked his game overall. Just his catching is an issue. If he could sort that out, dude would be great!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Jameson Williams - He may have been quiet with respect to stats but he had the type of game that could lead to bigger games.  He had a TD wiped out by a penalty.  He made a nice catch on a comeback route.  He caught a pass for minimal yardage late but held on to the ball despite working in heavy traffic.  He is looking more comfortable when he is catching the ball.  His run-blocking on David Montgomery's long TD run was great to see and says a lot about his unselfish play as well as his continued growth as a player.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

yeah, I've always liked his game overall. Just his catching is an issue. If he could sort that out, dude would be great!

No doubt. And I think he’ll figure it out. People forget, he’s still only played 11 total career games. His speed and Goffs timing has to be something they work on. And he’s been working with Goff. His hands have to be something he works on. And reports are he’s been on the jugs machine with ARSB.  It’s going to take time. These next two games at home would be good to get him involved early. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

No doubt. And I think he’ll figure it out. People forget, he’s still only played 11 total career games. His speed and Goffs timing has to be something they work on. And he’s been working with Goff. His hands have to be something he works on. And reports are he’s been on the jugs machine with ARSB.  It’s going to take time. These next two games at home would be good to get him involved early. 

Jamo's blocking and willingness to block has really earned a lot of wiggle room for me and my patience with him. If he wasn't putting much effort into blocking, struggling to catch the ball, etc. then I would be on the "ship him out train". 

Because of what he's showing, I'm definitely willing to let him continue to learn and develop. Obviously I have nothing to do with any of this in the real world but it does help when you have fan support. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Jamo's blocking and willingness to block has really earned a lot of wiggle room for me and my patience with him. If he wasn't putting much effort into blocking, struggling to catch the ball, etc. then I would be on the "ship him out train". 

Because of what he's showing, I'm definitely willing to let him continue to learn and develop. Obviously I have nothing to do with any of this in the real world but it does help when you have fan support. 

The other thing that is tough to notice during games is that when ARSB is getting open in the intermediate crossing routes, Jameson Williams is usually running a deep post route to help get ARSB open

16 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

That sounds a lot like a post-game observation.  Interesting.