Coach of the year

Steelersfan43

8 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

The Browns were projected at 9.5 wins. The Rams and Texans were at 6.5 wins. 

This is such a disingenuous argument.

You're going to tell me, before the season, the Browns will start DTR, PJ Walker, and Joe Flacco and they should still get 9.5 wins, then you should win every parlay.

Now if you want to use the Jim Schwartz argument against Stefanski, then sure do that.

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Kyle has never won it and I doubt that he ever will at this juncture (at least with the niners)

Don't count your chickens.. Belichick has won it 3 times and even Harbaugh won it 10 years after getting hired.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

I don't see how you can say that Stefanski deserves COTY with a straight face knowing damn well he had no part to play in the Browns signing Joe Flacco who then carried them to where they are.

It should be Ryans or Campbell imo.

What a ridiculously bad argument lol 

• Like 3

I think it's either Stefanski or Demeco - personally I think what Demeco did with Houston was incredible and Stefanski recovering from losing such key players and turning that team into a serious playoff contender was impressive.  I think it'll be Stefanski but wouldn't be upset if it was Ryans

• Like 1

3 hours ago, General Tso said:

This is such a disingenuous argument.

You're going to tell me, before the season, the Browns will start DTR, PJ Walker, and Joe Flacco and they should still get 9.5 wins, then you should win every parlay.

Deshaun Watson wasn't good, though, so replacing him wasn't a big deal. His QB rating was well below league average. 

And it was Stefanski who evaluated the QBs in the preseason and decided to get rid of Josh Dobbs in favor of DTR and later Walker. DTR and Walker were benched for poor play. So why should Stefanski get credit for doing such a bad job evaluating the backup QB position? The reason they needed 4 QBs is because he cut the one QB who can actually win games and went with 2 guys who sucked. 

If he effectively evaluated the backup QB position, they would have had 2 QBs. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Deshaun Watson wasn't good, though, so replacing him wasn't a big deal. His QB rating was well below league average. 

And it was Stefanski who evaluated the QBs in the preseason and decided to get rid of Josh Dobbs in favor of DTR and later Walker. DTR and Walker were benched for poor play. So why should Stefanski get credit for doing such a bad job evaluating the backup QB position? The reason they needed 4 QBs is because he cut the one QB who can actually win games and went with 2 guys who sucked. 

If he effectively evaluated the backup QB position, they would have had 2 QBs. 

And he was right because Dobbs wasn't good either. Isn't that up to the GM to acquire better backups? 

4 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

I think it's either Stefanski or Demeco - personally I think what Demeco did with Houston was incredible and Stefanski recovering from losing such key players and turning that team into a serious playoff contender was impressive.  I think it'll be Stefanski but wouldn't be upset if it was Ryans

I agree with this except for the end. I think Demeco wins it.

Stefanski just won it a few years ago, and the Texans over-achieved more than the Browns (imo).

1 minute ago, ReggieCamp said:

I agree with this except for the end. I think Demeco wins it.

Stefanski just won it a few years ago, and the Texans over-achieved more than the Browns (imo).

That was the only thing that caused hesitation for me predicting Stef over Demeco - him winning in 2020 may give some voters the inclination to give it to Demeco (equally deserving) just to prevent the repeat.  Will be interesting for sure.

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

And he was right because Dobbs wasn't good either.

Dobbs at least can play well for a time and win games, although he eventually crashes. Unlike DTR who just sucked every game he started. 

Isn't that up to the GM to acquire better backups? 

Maybe. So then I guess Stefanski shouldn't get credit for Flacco, right? 

You'd think, though, that an offensive HC would relay his reports to the GM to determine whether the QBs on the roster can play or not.

1 hour ago, MaddHatter said:

That was the only thing that caused hesitation for me predicting Stef over Demeco - him winning in 2020 may give some voters the inclination to give it to Demeco (equally deserving) just to prevent the repeat.  Will be interesting for sure.

Generally speaking, it feels like the voters favor giving it to a coach on a new team when they can. 

14 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Dobbs at least can play well for a time and win games, although he eventually crashes. Unlike DTR who just sucked every game he started. 

Maybe. So then I guess Stefanski shouldn't get credit for Flacco, right? 

You'd think, though, that an offensive HC would relay his reports to the GM to determine whether the QBs on the roster can play or not.

Dobbs went 4-9 as a starter, what are we doing here?

I never said Stefanski should get credit for acquiring Flacco, but he gets some credit for coaching the team to 4-2 with a guy who came off the couch?

Even the QB point aside, they still have a massive amount of salary cap on IR.

47 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Dobbs went 4-9 as a starter, what are we doing here?

I never said Stefanski should get credit for acquiring Flacco, but he gets some credit for coaching the team to 4-2 with a guy who came off the couch?

Even the QB point aside, they still have a massive amount of salary cap on IR.

QB Wins are a terrible stat. He was playing pretty well in ARI despite the dumpster fire around him.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

QB Wins are a terrible stat. He was playing pretty well in ARI despite the dumpster fire around him.

I'm not the one who brought wins into the argument.

After a hot start, he also played poorly in Minny with better talent.