2024 Offseason Thread: Dodgers Betting Big On Ohtani

hrubes20

51 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

And it's for relative beans as well.  We don't have all the reports yet, but it's supposedly a base deal of 2/30 to 4/60.  His medicals must be terrible.  

As for the flyball stuff, it will play terrifically in March-early June when the wind howls in.  Wrigley doesn't get the wind blowing out until later on.  His pitch usage in Japan was extremely fastball-heavy and he attacked up in the zone.  Pretty easy to see where the tweaks need to be made.

Apparently, he had offers on the table for more AAV from at least one other team. He must have wanted that opt out, or really wanted to be in Chicago. 

I'm stunned he picked Wrigley over Oracle Park. 

58 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Apparently, he had offers on the table for more AAV from at least one other team. He must have wanted that opt out, or really wanted to be in Chicago. 

I'm stunned he picked Wrigley over Oracle Park. 

Oracle definitely plays more to his strengths.  Clearly he valued other things.  It couldn't hurt having Seiya Suzuki already on the team and then have Yu Darvish speak glowingly about his time in Chicago.  

@hrubes20 you got to be happy hearing this news, after they've been sitting on their hands most of the winter:

According to The Athletic's Jim Bowden (subscription required), the Cubs remain engaged in negotiations with Jordan Montgomery, Cody Bellinger, Matt Chapman and Rhys Hoskins. Per MLB.com's Mark Feinsand, the Cubs are also a potential suitor for Josh Hader.

16 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

@hrubes20 you got to be happy hearing this news, after they've been sitting on their hands most of the winter:

Personally I'd love the Sox to get Montgomery and Hoskins (they won't. Even almost 40 mill below the first threshold) but the cubs are so fun to watch when they try to be good 

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I've learned by now that "engaged in negotiations" means diddly squat when it comes to the Cubs.  I do think they get Bellinger back though, simply because his market isn't what he thought it was going to be.  Hoskins is a strong possibility as well, since he almost surely is looking for a prove-it type deal that Hoyer loves to give out.  

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Personally I'd love the Sox to get Montgomery and Hoskins (they won't. Even almost 40 mill below the first threshold) but the cubs are so fun to watch when they try to be good 

Which is once every ten years, apparently.  

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

I've learned by now that "engaged in negotiations" means diddly squat when it comes to the Cubs.  I do think they get Bellinger back though, simply because his market isn't what he thought it was going to be.  Hoskins is a strong possibility as well, since he almost surely is looking for a prove-it type deal that Hoyer loves to give out.  

Which is once every ten years, apparently.  

Never said it was often lol

Cubs moving Ferris for Bush is an interesting move.  Likely kills the Chapman talks or Hoskins/Belly if they decide to play Bush at 1B.  Looks like Mervis is not in the running at 1B with all of the 1B they are talking to which likely turns him into a AAAA player. 

4 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Never said it was often lol

Sigh.  A guy can dream.

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Cubs moving Ferris for Bush is an interesting move.  Likely kills the Chapman talks or Hoskins/Belly if they decide to play Bush at 1B.  Looks like Mervis is not in the running at 1B with all of the 1B they are talking to which likely turns him into a AAAA player. 

Yeah, that deal really makes no sense to me unless the Cubs are quite certain that they can turn Busch into a decent defensive 3B.  I have strong doubts that they are able to.  I definitely think his bat plays with legit playing time at the big league level, but he may be unplayable anywhere other than DH.  That's already Christopher Morel's role, although Busch does it from the left side of the plate.

Almonte is a sneaky good pickup for the upcoming even year as well.  Dude has flat out stolen the Giants' EYBS after the Cubs defeated it in 2016.  

Ferris is exactly the kind of pitcher you love adding to the system.  If he can get his command/control ironed out and stay healthy, you have yourself a #2.  All in all, it's a pretty dang fair swap for Busch, IMO.  I really didn't want to include Hope, though.  Guy is an absolute toolshed.