A 2024 OFF-SEASON PROJECTION (POST NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME)

Karnage84

12 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

LT - Decker, Skipper

LG - Hunt, Awosika

OC - Ragnow, Glasgow

RG - Glasgow, Sorsdal

RT - Sewell

If he's available at 29 (unlikely), I would strongly consider taking Oregon OC Powers-Johnson here. If Ragnow doesn't retire:

LT - Decker, Skipper

LG - Hunt, Awosika

OC - Ragnow, Powers-Johnson, Glasgow

RG - Powers-Johnson, Glasgow,

RT - Sewell

This likely pushes Glasgow into a backup role. However, if Decker or Ragnow is injured you have guys that can step in and be highly competent starters. 

Sorsdal to PS

LT

LG - Hunt, Awosika

OC - Powers-Johnson, Glasgow

RG - Glasgow,

RT - Sewell

Decker is no longer under contract. He's battled injuries and is probably going to look at retirement. If Ragnow hasn't already retired, he's likely gone by now as well. We could consider adding a LT prospect in 2024 or addressing the position in 2025 (either free agency and/or draft). 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

If he's available at 29 (unlikely), I would strongly consider taking Oregon OC Powers-Johnson here. If Ragnow doesn't retire:

LT - Decker, Skipper

LG - Hunt, Awosika

OC - Ragnow, Powers-Johnson, Glasgow

RG - Powers-Johnson, Glasgow,

RT - Sewell

This likely pushes Glasgow into a backup role. However, if Decker or Ragnow is injured you have guys that can step in and be highly competent starters. 

Sorsdal to PS

LT

LG - Hunt, Awosika

OC - Powers-Johnson, Glasgow

RG - Glasgow,

RT - Sewell

Decker is no longer under contract. He's battled injuries and is probably going to look at retirement. If Ragnow hasn't already retired, he's likely gone by now as well. We could consider adding a LT prospect in 2024 or addressing the position in 2025 (either free agency and/or draft). 

My hope would be Sorsdal grows and can be the backup OG/OT swing man.  He obviously wasn't great this year but Awosike wasn't either so the hope would be Sorsdal can pass him in the offseason.  I really like JPJ and would be ok with him in the 1st and think it makes sense either way with Ragnow.  Hunt is a solid pick up  too and there are a few others I wouldn't mind adding at LG instead of re-signing Jackson.  If Jonah wants to stay at 5M per then fine but I think he was low enough on the OG list this year to not deserve the double digit pay day that someone will likely give him. 

I think you are correct in forecasting a re-work of most of our O-Line in 2024 and 2025.  I could see Taylor Decker retiring after his current contract.  I would be willing the Lions are looking ahead and trying to plan for the potential departures of Ragnow, Decker and Glasgow. 

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Sorsdal though.  He seems like the type of player who is brought turn into a solid starter with some time too develop.  This will be an important off-season for him.

Just now, Just Want A Title said:

I think you are correct in forecasting a re-work of most of our O-Line in 2024 and 2025.  I could see Taylor Decker retiring after his current contract.  I would be willing the Lions are looking ahead and trying to plan for the potential departures of Ragnow, Decker and Glasgow. 

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Sorsdal though.  He seems like the type of player who is brought turn into a solid starter with some time too develop.  This will be an important off-season for him.

I actually think Decker and Ragnow have been reinvigorated by the success. I think its more likely we extend Decker a couple of years at a cheap per year rate to reduce his cap hit now and in the future.  Something like a 2 year $15M extension which would end up hitting about $13M per year each year over the next 3 years instead of 20M this year.  But I wouldn't be mad if we move on from him if we have plans at the position.  I also wonder if Sewell would move over to LT or if they leave him be given how successful he has been there. 

16 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I'm assuming that Fraley is PROBABLY going to be sticking around again... so that's definitely a positive in Sorsdal's favour. 

I'd love for him to work out and replace Skipper as our swing OT. As much as I love the whole "reporting"thing, we need these guys to turn into something we can rely on. 

I don't know if I disagree with @Sllim Pickenson Decker possibly doing an extension. I still feel like Ragnow could be closer to leaving just with all of the injuries that he's dealt with. 

30 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm assuming that Fraley is PROBABLY going to be sticking around again... so that's definitely a positive in Sorsdal's favour. 

I'd love for him to work out and replace Skipper as our swing OT. As much as I love the whole "reporting"thing, we need these guys to turn into something we can rely on. 

I don't know if I disagree with @Sllim Pickenson Decker possibly doing an extension. I still feel like Ragnow could be closer to leaving just with all of the injuries that he's dealt with. 

I agree on Ragnow.  His injuries are more chronic from what I have read and understand so the likelihood of him ever being 100% again is small.  I think he gives it another year especially coming off an All Pro year but he could very easily go the Joe Thomas route and walk away to get healthy for the next phase of his life.  I hope we are wrong and he can give us 3-5 more years and go down as an all time great Center but I don't see it happening. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree on Ragnow.  His injuries are more chronic from what I have read and understand so the likelihood of him ever being 100% again is small.  I think he gives it another year especially coming off an All Pro year but he could very easily go the Joe Thomas route and walk away to get healthy for the next phase of his life.  I hope we are wrong and he can give us 3-5 more years and go down as an all time great Center but I don't see it happening. 

I believe that the Lions will give him the time to figure things out as they want him to be right and healthy if he comes back. I also believe that Ragnow is going to give the Lions plenty of time to find his replacement should he feel its best to walk away. 

O-Line is definitely something to start looking at. Ragnow seems to always get hurt - I don't think he retires yet, but you need a backup plan there. Jackson might end up wanting more money than we want to pay him. Decker is getting older. 

I'd only take a guy in the first if it's an insane value, but I definitely can see them taking a guy on day three. Holmes will want to keep the line as a strength of this team. 

Same thing with receiver, in a way. End of round one? Probably not. Round two or three? Absolutely. I've never been thrilled with Reynolds/Raymond as our #3 receiver. You almost have to draft a receiver every year with the way the NFL is going. 

Edited by Lions017

2 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Would yall dig Stephon Gilmore on a 1 year 11 mil?

I would be fine with it as long as we can sign a couple others.  We need some help at CB and he has still played at a rather high level.  I like the short deal mentality until we can develop our own.  I would prefer Kyle Fuller for similar amount given his age and production the last two years but if not I am fine with Gillmore.   

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, General Tso said:

What do people think about throwing a bag at Justin Madubuike?

Would probably take $25M per year. I am not sure what the staff thinks about Broderick Martin.

I'd be very hesitant about giving that kind of money to a guy who's only had one season of top tier production.

2 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

I'd be very hesitant about giving that kind of money to a guy who's only had one season of top tier production.

I get the feeling part of the reason that Terrel Williams was brought in was due to the not-great results from current D-Line coach John Scott Jr.  Even Adian Hutchinson had stretches where his play was head-scratching.  During the first half of the season he was playing out-of-control and getting too far upfield taking himself out of plays fairly often.  He also wasn't flashing a wide-array of pass-rush moves.  He got better over the 2nd half of the season though--especially with not getting too far upfield.  Hutch, along with pretty much everyone else showed poor hand usage and had consistent problems shedding blocks for most of the season.  Hence the reason why we had so many pressures but not nearly as many sacks.  

Personally, I think the way Broderic Martin was handled this year was one of the few things that was done poorly from start-to-finish.  He was reportedly playing surprisingly well during training camp.  His limited reps during pre-season games indicated that he would have some kind of role during the regular season.  He got a couple of series in the first two pre-season games and didn't play at all in the third pre-season game.  Then he was inactive for the first seven games.  I think he played in three total games this season and didn't see more than a handful of snaps in any game he played. 

If he really was that much of a project why weren't they giving him an extended run in all three pre-season games?  I don't think it would have been that difficult to get him a limited number of reps every game once the season started.   Alim McNeill's injury gave them a perfect opportunity to get Broderic Martin some meaningful reps but that really didn't happen.  All of that is kind of mind-boggling given the revolving door we had going at DT for most of the season.

I like Justin Madubuike a lot.  I think him getting 13 sacks was an anomaly but I could see him hitting 7-8 consistently.  All of that being said, I think the Lions would rather see Broderic Martin coached up that throwing a big contract at Justin Madubuike.  I think Terrell Williams is the right coach to make that happen.  

Getting into some of my film breakdowns spent some time on Darius Robinson last night and good lord this kids a player.  Seen him mocked to Detroit and in the general area I really don’t see him making it that far he is a versatile beast. 

Edited by BigC421/