Napoleon

Ozzy

Honestly I might actually go to the theatres to watch this.  Last movie I watched in person in a theatre and even wanted to was Doctor Sleep 2019.

This seems pretty solid and has a solid director obviously that has made some great films.  Only real issue is who is the damn antagonist, really there is not one which could be kind of boring.  Only actor of note is Joaquin Phoenix but is a quality casting and he alone can hold attention obviously.  

So what is the word on this film?

Maybe this film will make one not instantly think of this Napoleon when you say that name, the guy is still a dude though!

dance-slide.gif

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Weird. Me too. 

Weird?  Maybe but honestly Hollywood is **** currently, so little films made of note and nothing is really unique or well made at all.  Been waiting for another Fury Road or sequel to it to come out but that will probably never happen.  The King was a great film also made in 2019 but that was on Netflix only so clearly films have changed and even in theatres have changed when most are on streaming platforms instead.  

Sorry but I do not greatly anticipate the millionth Star Wars adaptation that comes out of ******* Disney plus.  But maybe Napoleon the film is a grab, 

Napoleon the film though, who knows, if Netflix rental was still around would I be interesting in watching this film in theatres?  Probably not and would just wait for it on rental.  Napoleon was just a short little dude who was pissed and won some battles, is that interesting, I am not sure.  Visually the trailer looked kind of cool though.  Maybe I am putting too much into Ridley Scott, The Last Duel he made which looked visually ok but kind of sucked honestly and those newer Alien movies really sucked so maybe I will have to wait and see the reviews of this.    Maybe this film is honestly not interesting enough....

Everything Everywhere All At Once won 7 freaking Oscars in 2022, and that movie was absolutely awful and stupid I thought.  Way too dependent on who is the cast, if they are not white they will get way more attention than they should especially if they are just moderately creative and oddly stupid.  Sure the film made a few decent points but making social issues into a comic book type film Super Hero story and we are all Superheroes in our own story...  what a joke...

Napoleon from the Valley is an interesting choice by Phoenix lol.  He’s an excellent actor but not making an effort to do an accent takes me out of the trailer much less the movie.  I’ll check it out on AppleTV but I don’t trust it enough to see it in the theater.  

54 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Napoleon from the Valley is an interesting choice by Phoenix lol.  He’s an excellent actor but not making an effort to do an accent takes me out of the trailer much less the movie.  I’ll check it out on AppleTV but I don’t trust it enough to see it in the theater.  

True, but Joaquin did not have an accent in Mary Magdalene when he played Jesus and that movie was outstanding!  He did a great job like usual, I am more concerned with the lack of a true antagonist.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 8:08 PM, Ozzy said:

Weird?  Maybe but honestly Hollywood is **** currently, so little films made of note and nothing is really unique or well made at all.  Been waiting for another Fury Road or sequel to it to come out but that will probably never happen.  The King was a great film also made in 2019 but that was on Netflix only so clearly films have changed and even in theatres have changed when most are on streaming platforms instead.  

Sorry but I do not greatly anticipate the millionth Star Wars adaptation that comes out of ******* Disney plus.  But maybe Napoleon the film is a grab, 

Napoleon the film though, who knows, if Netflix rental was still around would I be interesting in watching this film in theatres?  Probably not and would just wait for it on rental.  Napoleon was just a short little dude who was pissed and won some battles, is that interesting, I am not sure.  Visually the trailer looked kind of cool though.  Maybe I am putting too much into Ridley Scott, The Last Duel he made which looked visually ok but kind of sucked honestly and those newer Alien movies really sucked so maybe I will have to wait and see the reviews of this.    Maybe this film is honestly not interesting enough....

Everything Everywhere All At Once won 7 freaking Oscars in 2022, and that movie was absolutely awful and stupid I thought.  Way too dependent on who is the cast, if they are not white they will get way more attention than they should especially if they are just moderately creative and oddly stupid.  Sure the film made a few decent points but making social issues into a comic book type film Super Hero story and we are all Superheroes in our own story...  what a joke...

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Thanks for sharing man, now who gives a F about Napoleon...haha    I will hold off and rent it and wait for the real movie to come out!  😁

Time to start a new thread....hahaha

• Like 1

Was actually pretty excited to go see this.  Ended up a little disappointed.

Wasn't necessarily bad per se...but the whole thing felt a bit "confused" to me.  Couldn't really pin down what it was trying to be.  Felt like it was rapidly cycling different modes or "tone" that felt really unfocused.  One minute it's a war movie, the next it's a sort of weird psychosexual pseudo comedy commentary on his psyche, the next it's trying to be a political period piece.  And just sort of cycling through those things a little bit manically throughout.  Had some elements that felt like a loose thread that hinted at something but were never expounded on (maybe the longer cut will resolve some of that?).  Could definitely feel the heavy British influence on the perspective through a lot of it, especially the end.  At times it felt like they kind of gave Napoleon intermittent autism or something, which was a bit weird too...especially as it'd come and go.

Some pretty nice visuals though.  Was glad to see it in theatres for some of the great seat rumbling cannon fire and scale of things.  And not a terrible movie.  Just probably built it up a little bit more than i should have in my expectations.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 4