2023 Week 11 GDT 6-3 Steelers Visit 6-3 Browns

Steeler Hitman

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

A really interesting thing I was looking at today:

Bringing in Brian Flores last year was one of the only times Tomlin and Rooney have said that Tomlin has walked into Art's office and said "let me sign this guy".  

Canada - "Why get the guy who runs the system when you can have the guy that designed it?", but he's never said that's what he wanted.  

Austin - "We like his familiarity with the players and the system", very little about how that's what he wanted in a DC.

Fitchner - "We're comfortable with his rapport with Ben". 

Butler - "He's been in line for this position for a long time."

Haley - This is the one Dan Moore stood up and said he was bringing him in because that's what we needed.

Like in 5 coordinators not once did we hear Tomlin ever talk about banging the table that we needed to hire them, at least publicly.  Under Cowher there was a lot of that as well.  A lot of going with who's in house, or someone they know from being with the team.  

Just an observation.

Neutral to slight pro Tomlin

Theses are the plays I think Kenny will get smoke for the wrong reasons online...but it's still on him to complete the play and he doesn't. 

I don't blame Kenny in anyway for not going to DJ. It's not that he doesn't see him -- he doesn't NEED to see him. What he doesn't do is complete the play.

Kenny's reading out Austin the entire way. His helmet stripe is tracking him. It's man -- you win. There is no need to go to DJ. Right about the the time he wants to release, Ward comes off DJ. My guess is the S is meant to drive on DJ (but doesn't) and Ward picks up the underneath on Austin (or it's just Ward being next level). 

Kenny should know there is no one left behind Austin. He has this throw. Nothing changes. Ward CANNOT make the play on this football, but his appearance broke Kenny's brain. 

You need to let this ball loose. NEED to. They cannot make a play on the ball. Better QBs do. Difference in 4 points in a game we lost by 3. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I think Najee has played well and is a good back, but Warren has been next level. Needs more run, which is unfortunate for Najee. Should consider Harris being a trade chip next year. 

harris should be traded, but we will see if Khan is like colbert, who we know wouldn't trade any of his RD1 picks. Instead they are guaranteed to play out their contracts .  

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

I have been really hard pressed to think this is anything other than what the Rooney Family wants.

If that was the case Tomlin likely wouldn't even be the coach. We'd be talking about Ken Whisenhunt or Russ Grimm. We were lucky to get Haley, best OC this team has had in 40 years. 

Keith Butler worked with Mike at Memphis and Keith made him DB coach when he became the DC at Arkansas State, he converted Mike from offense to defense before that he was a WR coach.

• Like 2

Here's my current mock:

Round 1: J.J. McCarthy QB Michigan
Round 2: Sedrick Van Pran Center Georgia
Round 3: Tommy Eichenberg ILB Ohio State
Round 4a: Ruke Orhorhoro DE Clemson
Round 4b: Jamari Thrash WR Louisville
Round 6: Jack Howell Safety Colorado State
Round 7: Javion Cohen Guard Miami (FL)

2 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

If that was the case Tomlin likely wouldn't even be the coach. We'd be talking about Ken Whisenhunt or Russ Grimm. We were lucky to get Haley, best OC this team has had in 40 years. 

Keith Butler worked with Mike at Memphis and Keith made him DB coach when he became the DC at Arkansas State, he converted Mike from offense to defense before that he was a WR coach.

Somewhat fair enough. I just don’t think Tomlin has the free rein to the level many think and ARII has more input than some think too. It’s interesting in all his years there’s only one story about him “pounding the table” for a hire. 

1 hour ago, 43M said:

The good thing about Warren is that, if we give him a new contract, his legs will stlll be pretty fresh.    Thats what I always worry about with Tomlin running backs going into a C$2.    He wont have heavy mileage.

He only had 1 season of heavy usage in college too. He just turned 25…then control his rights with a RFA tender through his age 27 season.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they give him a 3-4 year deal after next year worth about $6-$7 mill per to cover him through his age 30 season.

31 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

And they were on the same staff as Fitcher too. Mike hired Austin to coach DBs after he was fired and the year after he hired Bulter to the same role and was later promoted. Canada came in after a year with no QB coach (despite drafting a QB…) and was later promoted. 

Munchak left, his #2 was the promoted.

#2 was let go, his #2 was promoted.  

There’s a true pattern of familiarity, but I have a very hard time believing one of the highest paid coaches in sport has no say to his staff when at every turn it seems that comfort level and familiarity with that person is the reason they are hired/retain outside of Haley and Munchak — which are the best two hires to date.

I can 100% buy that Tomlin has a budget that he is constrained by and because of that also leads to things he may not be able to do or people he can’t go get. But I cannot believe that he has no say in his hires. There’s no way. 

And Whisenhunt was TE coach before being OC under Cowher. Mularkey was TE coach before OC under Cowher. Gilbride was the last outside outside OC hire before Haley in 99. Sherman was an outside hire in 98 as well. Chan Gailey was WR coach before being OC. Erhardt was an outside hire in 92. 30 year span 13 of them had an OC that was outside the organization when hired. Going back further, Walton was an outside hire and Tom Moore was WR coach. 41 years with OC’s, 15 of them overseen by someone outside the org prior to hiring. 

Defense looks kinda the same with Haslett, Capers, Rust being the outside hires from 84 to now. 8 seasons out of 39 had someone outside the building be an OC. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Somewhat fair enough. I just don’t think Tomlin has the free rein to the level many think and ARII has more input than some think too. It’s interesting in all his years there’s only one story about him “pounding the table” for a hire. 

I think the only thing that is true is that ownership has a concept that they are regulated by that has been tried and true for them, that both Art Rooney Sr believed in, combined with what worked with Chuck Noll, and they use that as their guiding force/light. 

It has to do with family, community involvement, staying true to the roots of  Pittsburgh, toughness, playing defense and being able to run the football, and there is a value placed on loyalty which goes back to family.

Thats what I feel/believe is the extent of the Rooney's guidance. They have their annual meeting about the state of the franchise and it is suggested about what needs to happen to be like that or stay like that. The one time I know that was obvious was when they/Art suggested that they do whatever they needed to get the running game back on track. So they went out of their way to trip over themselves get some semblance of a run game back and they drafted Najee Harris. 

• Like 1