Off-season

Beck Bristow

On 6/13/2024 at 1:45 PM, THE DUKE said:

Bengals extended Karras into 2025, supposedly around somewhere for $7-$8 million.  Good extension, keeps an immensely popular guy with the fans and in the locker room around a little longer.

I read $6.6 mill over the next two, so I;'d assume the 2025 year is just north of $7mm.

Definitely a good move to keep a veteran locker room leader around.

On 6/15/2024 at 2:58 PM, sparky151 said:

And Tee is helping the team out by signing his tag early. He'll be there for all of camp, instead of holding out into the preseason ala Bates. 

Tee's in, Hendrickson is happy, and the national writers will have to invent something new to try to rip the team for.

3 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Tee's in, Hendrickson is happy, and the national writers will have to invent something new to try to rip the team for.

Can't take it personally. That's sadly how this industry works. They're only paid when there's drama.

7 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Can't take it personally. That's sadly how this industry works. They're only paid when there's drama.

I don't take it personally.  I was originally a journalism major and can't stand to watch the profession die this way.

20 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I don't take it personally.  I was originally a journalism major and can't stand to watch the profession die this way.

Ugh. It hurts me, I can't imagine how people who had that ambition feel.

• 4 weeks later...

To the surprise of no one, the Bengals and Tee Higgins were unable to work out a long term deal after meeting last weekend.  I assume Tee wants to be paid like a top of the market receiver and the Bengals don't want to pay him that.  Even the franchise tag is less than what WR's have been getting this offseason and it's not tied to multiple years.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Chase hasn't been practicing at training camp this week. He's not commenting but everyone thinks it's because he wants his contract extension now rather than next year. 

Which is weird, considering everything that we'd heard before indicated he didn't want an extension until next off-season. Maybe that was incorrect.

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

Which is weird, considering everything that we'd heard before indicated he didn't want an extension until next off-season. Maybe that was incorrect.

Not exactly.  He wanted Jefferson and Lamb done.  Only half way there, and with the state of the Cowboys, I hope he just gets his deal in place.

• 5 weeks later...

Why is Chase holding out with two years left on his deal? All the other WR’s did it with one year remaining on their contract. It’s not like Chase lit it up last year. 

Just screams diva/entitled. And this is coming from someone who really likes Chase and picked him in the 1st Round yesterday. 

36 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Why is Chase holding out with two years left on his deal? All the other WR’s did it with one year remaining on their contract. It’s not like Chase lit it up last year. 

Just screams diva/entitled. And this is coming from someone who really likes Chase and picked him in the 1st Round yesterday. 

I don't think his sitting out practice makes it likely that he gets a better offer from the Bengals, but it's all he can do at the moment. I guess that's the card he's playing.

Ian Rapoport, on Ja'Marr Chase:

"My understanding is that the two sides are still discussing a long-term extension, that, if he got it, would make him either: Tied for the highest-paid receiver with Justin Jefferson, or beating Justin Jefferson by one cent, which I believe is Chase's goal."

• Like 1