I'll never understand why Washington didn't keep the classy football club name and those looking uniforms

Towerbridge

On 11/21/2023 at 10:25 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

I hate that the Redskins are gone. I loved their unis. Loved their color schemes. Loved everything about their team. Badass name. Badass logo. Nonsensical PC bullcrap took it away. I hate people sometimes. It’s not meant to be racist or derogatory if it’s what you choose to call yourself. Nobody would call themselves something meant to be demeaning. 

Please say sike.

I liked WFT, too, but I think that's the minority position. I think it's rational to want something with a stronger brand identity. Commanders is fine, the helmets are pretty good, but the jerseys are bad.

38 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Please say sike.

No. Why would a team choose to name themselves something perceived as negative?

Teams want strong badass names. The Redskins were a badass strong name. They had to change it because of the PC Police. It’s dumb. The Chiefs are gonna be next. Guaranteed. It’s dumb. 

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Teams want strong badass names. The Redskins were a badass strong name. They had to change it because of the PC Police. It’s dumb. The Chiefs are gonna be next. Guaranteed. It’s dumb. 

If you have any interest, Marquette did multiple studies on the origin of the name. The Washington Post polls were good as well. However, I can see the Reddit crew is going to turn this thread into something it's not so its time to exit. 

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Chiefs are a completely different situation.

It's similar to the Sacramento Kings in terms of how it's viewed.

Redskins is like the native version of the n-word. Not the same. We don't have the Detroit N-words in the NFL. So why did we have the Washington Redskins?

On 11/27/2023 at 11:31 AM, scar988 said:

The Redtails being the Tuskegee Airmen doesn't mean that they're from Tuskegee Alabama as a individuals. They were black pilots from all over the country that helped us win in WW2. They are American heroes. And the capitol of the country being Washington, they should honor anyone who's an American hero. This would be one of the best ways to do so.

Commanders helped win WW2 as well.

48 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Chiefs are a completely different situation.

It's similar to the Sacramento Kings in terms of how it's viewed.

Redskins is like the native version of the n-word. Not the same. We don't have the Detroit N-words in the NFL. So why did we have the Washington Redskins?

This is not even remotely true dude 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

This is not even remotely true dude 

Like I told Saul. It's not how you view the word. It's how natives view it.

My tribe doesn’t identify as 'redskins' – this is a derogatory term coined by colonialists often historically used interchangeably with 'savages'

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/washington-redskins-name-controversy-native-americans-racism-white-people-a9058881.html

Edited by scar988
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Like I told Saul. It's not how you view the word. It's how natives view it.

****Actually forget it

I respect everyone’s view on this. The name is gone and it’s never coming back. As a fan I’ve moved on and hope Commanders is changed as well to something better 

Edited by lavar703

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

Except natives view it as the same thing. that's the thing you're missing. It's not how YOU view it. It's how they view it.

Maybe a hand-selected few. There’s also several that were pissed that the name was going away, citing that they didn’t believe that “redskin” was racist or disparaging.

I feel like 99% of the outrage was woke white people who felt they needed to speak for the “marginalized.” I doubt you’d find any black person saying it’s ok for Detroit to be the “N words,” per your example.

Anyways…it’s Commanders now and forever. I pretty much guarantee you that Chiefs is next. It doesn’t matter that it isn’t as obvious…eventually the PC Police will make that a priority and it’ll get done.