JDR Fired

ARTMONK HOF

Just now, ARTMONK HOF said:

From Washington Commanders Managing Partner Josh Harris:

"This morning, I spoke with Coach Rivera and he recommended that the team make changes at defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach. I accepted those recommendations and want to thank Jack and Brent for their contributions to the Commanders. We wish them and their families well moving forward.

I feel exactly how our fans feel today: disappointed and frustrated. It's how our players and staff feel as well. I knew our first season of ownership would include challenges along the way, and we will not shy away from hard work, nor will we be deterred by adversity. As Coach Rivera and I discussed, all of our energy for the remainder of the season will be focused on playing better, more consistent football and developing our players while intently evaluating the areas in which we need to improve this offseason. Our fans deserve a team that can compete with the NFL's best and win sustainably over the long-term. I will not waver from that mission. Thank you to our fans for the ways in which you've breathed new life into our franchise. We have not been good enough this season, but our resolve for the future is unbroken."

Lol. I would bet my house the conversation was the other way around with Harris telling Rivera to make changes.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The change in DB coach this year has been a night and day difference imo.  The new guy has been terrible while the old one molded some late round picks into starters. 

Yep, 100 correct & that's on Ron but my guess is that JDR made the decision to hire an old friend he knew and Ron said that's ok, it's your defensive unit.

But, let's not act like this is a new thing. Our secondary struggled in the first half of 2021 & 2022 also. JDR should've been fired back in 2021 after the D started off as one of the worst in the league in September & October of 2021.

27 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The change in DB coach this year has been a night and day difference imo.  The new guy has been terrible while the old one molded some late round picks into starters. 

Richard Rodger’s has been in charge of safeties since RR came in.  I’d actually keep him on the next staff.  He is extremely well-spoken and seems to be the guy behind Curl and Forrest.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Richard Rodger’s has been in charge of safeties since RR came in.  I’d actually keep him on the next staff.  He is extremely well-spoken and seems to be the guy behind Curl and Forrest.  

Good point, I agree with that, he probably gets bumped. I'm wondering who the new Def coordinator will be though. I understand Ron will be taking over the D in a bigger since but he's got to name someone the DC.

Do you  think he will become the next defensive coordinator?

I think it's between Richard Rodgers & Steve Russ.

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Always seemed likely that losing Chris Harris would be a major hit to the defense — I think maybe he was the key to translating the complicated language of JDR’s secondary schemes to the players. They just seem so totally lost again this year.

I agree and should have been promoted to DC. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Always seemed likely that losing Chris Harris would be a major hit to the defense — I think maybe he was the key to translating the complicated language of JDR’s secondary schemes to the players. They just seem so totally lost again this year.

Yep, I could be misremembering but I think my position dating back to 2021 was JDR should've been fired & Chris Harris should've been made the defensive coordinator.