Potential First Round Targets for the Steelers

armsteeld

57 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Hopefully for his long term prospects, that's all it was. I think it's possible for people to return in one season with that injury(not for his case specifically). I bet it was dislocated and he tore ligaments. 

maybe it's so bad they don't want to reveal it.   I never found out either. I never watched the play, prefer not to . 

what about the QB from Florida State, did they reveal what happened there?

If these players had knee braces on, could the brace prevent this?

I haven't really watched Penix this year in detail but he was a hot mess most of his time at Indiana.  That media hype machine is something though.  

I was watching the Oregon center, lot of nice things there. Id be concerned about his balance, could see a lot of potential for OTG's with his build. His feet are actually pretty light and quick, and his hands are pretty good. He does have some umph behind his swats. You definitely gotta watch several games on him like always, 3 bare minimum, 6 is ideal. Put on the Utah tape very intriguing, put on the Washington tape and a lot more raised eyebrows/questions. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

My issue with Penix is his injures:

2018 - ACL right leg

2019 - Dislocated Sternoclavicar joint in the right arm

2020 - ACL right leg

2021 - AC joint separation left arm

he won't like met life stadium by the looks of that.  

also, those are IR type injuries every year,  might not last in the nfl if not playing on a team with a good OL

8 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

He really fizzed out as this season went on. 

Ignore the stats and watch him play.  He plays in a gimmicky offense.  He has a long injury history.  When asked to make throws an NFL QB would have to make he is horribly inaccurate.  I would rather take a Olineman in the 6th than him

27 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Ignore the stats and watch him play.  He plays in a gimmicky offense.  He has a long injury history.  When asked to make throws an NFL QB would have to make he is horribly inaccurate.  I would rather take a Olineman in the 6th than him

Yea I was more talking about the hype around him and from a college football fan perspective. Started off the year guns blazing and was a Heisman front runner. Even though he still has his team undefeated he has not looked great in a game since that Oregon W.

Edited by bigben07MVP

20 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Even outside of that, this is something I always take into account when scouting:

Rome Odunze - I got him top 13 in my big board

Troy Fautanu - Top 35 on my board

Ja'Lynn Polk - Top 60

Jalen McMillan - Top 125

Roger Rosengarten - Late 7th/Priority UDFA

That's offensively, when you add in defense and Bralen Trice and Zion Tupuola-Fetui are top 100 prospects you start to think that there's just so much talent around him it's just a matter of try not to fail.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Even outside of that, this is something I always take into account when scouting:

Rome Odunze - I got him top 13 in my big board

Troy Fautanu - Top 35 on my board

Ja'Lynn Polk - Top 60

Jalen McMillan - Top 125

Roger Rosengarten - Late 7th/Priority UDFA

That's offensively, when you add in defense and Bralen Trice and Zion Tupuola-Fetui are top 100 prospects you start to think that there's just so much talent around him it's just a matter of try not to fail.

Nothing to do with this specific take but I think you can sometimes penalize guys too much for having “too much talent around them.” Good college QBs generally play for good college teams, especially with the transfer portal. Not all great prospects have to do it all on their own.

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence, CJ Stroud, Tua, Jalen Hurts off the top of my head all had elite, elite NFL talent around them. 

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

Nothing to do with this specific take but I think you can sometimes penalize guys too much for having “too much talent around them.” Good college QBs generally play for good college teams, especially with the transfer portal. Not all great prospects have to do it all on their own.

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence, CJ Stroud, Tua, Jalen Hurts off the top of my head all had elite, elite NFL talent around them. 

Hurts did at Bama, but not at OU where he really helped his draft status.

But to me there's also a difference in those guys and guys like Penix, and who his college tape reminds me of in Manziel and Leinhart.  Those guys you listed had a ton of talent around them.

Burrow - Yes had two now NFL superstars around him at WR, but his throws were also on point.  

Lawrence - More had it with 1 WR and his RB, but again you saw on point decision making and throwing.

CJ - His passing was on point

Tua - Some of the best ball placement I've seen in the NCAA

But those other guys - they get too much credit for plays that get made by their WR's.  I remember being one of the few guys who was super high on Mike Evans and low on Johnny Manziel at the board I posted on at the time.  And I see some similar with Penix; where his WR makes an amazing play on one where the QB was off schedule, and everyone goes "oh my god what a play by Penix", and I'm like "what about the WR who was running a post, came back 15 yards, then made the twisting diving catch over two guys?!?"

• Like 1