Pats 2024 Draft.

m haynes

I’ve said it before, but add me to the list of skeptics for McCarthy near the top of the draft. 

JJ’s hype is largely based on his limited sample size, “tools”, and mental makeup.  I’m already usually pretty reluctant to swing on those guys in general, but McCarthy more so because his tool bag isn’t even one that you see and immediately gush over. Like, Josh Allen had bust written all over him as a prospect IMO, but you could clearly see what the guys who loved him were fixated on. Same with Mahomes coming out of that air raid. It’s why Richardson went high after being terrible as a passer for most of the year. The arm (and not just pure strength, but release and speed), the mobility, you could see it all instantly. Teams bet on the upside. 

McCarthy isn’t a guy lacking in talent, but it’s not like he’s swimming in it either. Like, as a pure passer, he’s not entering the league as a more talented thrower than probably 10+ guys. That doesn’t mean he’ll be bad, but just on talent, you’re rolling the dice on a guy that hasn’t shown that much, when he doesn’t even have the pure upside a guy like Maye would have. Some people on this forum have said he’s got the second best arm amongst the top guys (ahead of Maye and Penix), which I simply don’t see at all. Pro Days aren’t really gonna sway me. And I don’t see JJ do all the little things consistently enough to make up for the gap in talent (largely because Michigan didn’t need him to) between him and Maye or Daniels.

McCarthy’s in the second group of QBs, IMO. I wouldn’t be upset with him on the roster to be groomed as the FQB, but I would if it meant skipping on premium talent at 3. 

Edited by Soko

On 4/12/2024 at 3:16 AM, jofos said:

For what its worth, I don't think the Patriots pick McCarthy. I think they will pick Drake Maye and in a few years they will pick Dylan Raiola. 

But you think we should pick JJ if he’s there?

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Would you start him right away?

Not likely, even though he would be better than Brissett and Zappe, I would give him a chance adjust to life as a Patriot. Somewhere after week six depending on how things were going team wise.  

Jaden Daniels/ His Agent attempting to destroy his chances with Washington? Maye is probably going #2 now (maybe Jaden's agent talking all this nonsense means they knew Maye was the Commie's pick from the start).

Kind of disappointed to be honest, I would have preferred Maye over Daniels, even more so now that it appears Jaden is a diva... hopefully that's not true but his agent isn't helping his case.

I feel like the Pats/Mayo might also have been turned off by Daniels.... imagine if this prompts them to draft JJ. 🙃

Edited by PatriotsWin!

6 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Jaden Daniels/ His Agent attempting to destroy his chances with Washington? Maye is probably going #2 now (maybe Jaden's agent talking all this nonsense means they knew Maye was the Commie's pick from the start).

Kind of disappointed to be honest, I would have preferred Maye over Daniels, even more so now that it appears Jaden is a diva... hopefully that's not true but his agent isn't helping his case.

I feel like the Pats/Mayo might also have been turned off by Daniels.... imagine if this prompts them to draft JJ. 🙃

Link? Quote?

this disappoints me

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 2:54 PM, jofos said:

Not likely, even though he would be better than Brissett and Zappe, I would give him a chance adjust to life as a Patriot. Somewhere after week six depending on how things were going team wise.  

Do you think he’d (or any rookie QB) would have enough to work with here?

I mean we could come back and get someone like Worthy or Legett with our 2nd pick maybe, but let’s say we don’t - who’s he throwing to and who’s protecting him? I think we have a massive issue with our roster 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Do you think he’d (or any rookie QB) would have enough to work with here?

I mean we could come back and get someone like Worthy or Legett with our 2nd pick maybe, but let’s say we don’t - who’s he throwing to and who’s protecting him? I think we have a massive issue with our roster 

Play him when he’s ready. And I don’t mean ready to walk in and be a star, but just mentally, physically ready to come in with some confidence and grow. Doesn’t have to be perfect, but just come in, get some reps, and build off of that. Maybe that’s Week 1, maybe that’s Week 9, maybe it’s 2025. But that’s when you pull that trigger. 

That’s what Josh did, he didn’t walk in and light things up with a loaded offensive roster. Neither did Lamar. Neither did Goff. Neither did Hurts. Neither did Kyler. Neither did Tua. No one thought anything of Houston’s offense prior to this season. Burrow had great WRs, but no OL and bad coaching at the time. Herbert had Allen, but walked in with terrible coaching and a bad OL. Hell, even Mac had a really good season for a rookie, without WRs or a great OL.

Lots of people this offseason talk about teams being “ready” for QBs, as if it’s some simple thing to have a great OC, strong line, multiple weapons on offense, and then keep them all together for 3-5 years. That’d be ideal, but I don’t think the majority of QBs enjoy that luxury. Some guys definitely bloom late, and maybe that’s due to their crappy situations as rookies (Alex, Geno), but I don’t think you’re ruining a legitimately elite QB because their rookie roster isn’t perfect.

8 hours ago, Soko said:

Play him when he’s ready. And I don’t mean ready to walk in and be a star, but just mentally, physically ready to come in with some confidence and grow. Doesn’t have to be perfect, but just come in, get some reps, and build off of that. Maybe that’s Week 1, maybe that’s Week 9, maybe it’s 2025. But that’s when you pull that trigger. 

That’s what Josh did, he didn’t walk in and light things up with a loaded offensive roster. Neither did Lamar. Neither did Goff. Neither did Hurts. Neither did Kyler. Neither did Tua. No one thought anything of Houston’s offense prior to this season. Burrow had great WRs, but no OL and bad coaching at the time. Herbert had Allen, but walked in with terrible coaching and a bad OL. Hell, even Mac had a really good season for a rookie, without WRs or a great OL.

Lots of people this off season talk about teams being “ready” for QBs, as if it’s some simple thing to have a great OC, strong line, multiple weapons on offense, and then keep them all together for 3-5 years. That’d be ideal, but I don’t think the majority of QBs enjoy that luxury. Some guys definitely bloom late, and maybe that’s due to their crappy situations as rookies (Alex, Geno), but I don’t think you’re ruining a legitimately elite QB because their rookie roster isn’t perfect.

I agree with "lets call it" your theory however there are bad  (problems) offenses, just not Patriots bad.  IMO the Pats offense right now is pathetic and the changes if you want to call them that, did little to change that. There always be holes in every offense but Douglas is your best WR who is 5ft 150 and is a injury waiting to happen.   A good draft is three players... well i see the Pats need at least, 2 OT, LOG, 3 RBs (Steve's last year), TE, 2/3 WRs and a QB.

I see Wenu as a OG that can play OT. I have watch/ heard many that make him out to be better than he is at OT position, especially the stat guys. The same stat guys that try to convince whoever that Cole Strange is a starting NFL guard. Pathetic.

And with all this we have a meddling owner and son, a so call interim (media) boy genius at GM and a completely new untested staff run by a rookie loud mouth  HC that hasn't done a thing to warrant the position. 

There's not anyone that can convince me that Vrabel wasn't the much better choice for the HQ position. What I have see so far reminds me of the Sullivan,Victor years.  The idiot owner thought is was a good thing to put out a hit job on BB at this time??? 

What a fool FREDO Kraft turn out to be. He has put my 50+ years of loyalty on the line. I'm at the point to where this continues,  I will walk away just like I did 4 years ago with the Red Sox. I'm to old for this crap.

Also any team that has stat boy Groh any where near the draft is a fool. This guys stat makes Strange look like John Hannah !!!!!  Also, when Thornton ran the 4.2 I thought, watch the idiot Raiders draft this stiff !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought is was the right time to let BB go, but not like this.

I'm looking forward to see the fans boo Fredo Kraft out of the stadium. 

BB played by Pacino

https://tenor.com/view/kiss-of-death-god-father-gif-11237441

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

I agree with "lets call it" your theory however there are bad  (problems) offenses, just not Patriots bad.  IMO the Pats offense right now is pathetic and the changes if you want to call them that, did little to change that. There always be holes in every offense but Douglas is your best WR who is 5ft 150 and is a injury waiting to happen.   A good draft is three players... well i see the Pats need at least, 2 OT, LOG, 3 RBs (Steve's last year), TE, 2/3 WRs and a QB.

I see Wenu as a OG that can play OT. I have watch/ heard many that make him out to be better than he is at OT position, especially the stat guys. The same stat guys that try to convince whoever that Cole Strange is a starting NFL guard. Pathetic.

And with all this we have a meddling owner and son, a so call interim (media) boy genius at GM and a completely new untested staff run by a rookie loud mouth  HC that hasn't done a thing to warrant the position. 

There's not anyone that can convince me that Vrabel wasn't the much better choice for the HQ position. What I have see so far reminds me of the Sullivan,Victor years.  The idiot owner thought is was a good thing to put out a hit job on BB at this time??? 

What a fool FREDO Kraft turn out to be. He has put my 50+ years of loyalty on the line. I'm at the point to where this continues,  I will walk away just like I did 4 years ago with the Red Sox. I'm to old for this crap.

Also any team that has stat boy Groh any where near the draft is a fool. This guys stat makes Strange look like John Hannah !!!!!  Also, when Thornton ran the 4.2 I thought, watch the idiot Raiders draft this stiff !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought is was the right time to let BB go, but not like this.

I'm looking forward to see the fans boo Fredo Kraft out of the stadium. 

BB played by Pacino

https://tenor.com/view/kiss-of-death-god-father-gif-11237441

mission said all along.  Firing Belichick was such a big mistake.

I do like McCarthy the most in this class tbh (outside of Caleb Williams who is the GOAT)

Daniels and Maye to me, while talented, it feels like the league/media/fans are trying to find the next fill in the blank player and so ignoring a lot of obvious flaws that would have been picked apart 5-10 years ago