Pats 2024 Draft.

m haynes

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Here the list  https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-free-agents-by-position/

I would look at my return on investment with each player building a roster.  Basically price is right.

Baker Mayfield not a big fan however upgrade bridge guy. I don't touch vets because we won't see the SB in 3/4 years. Kirk Cousins no thanks.

Calvin Ridley  He a professional WR and you won't have to break the bank.  I love his game.

Tee Higgins, Mike Evans  To big of a price tag. I like Higgins however not for the Pats. He's 2 WR and we need a speed guy. He wants 1st WR money, hell no. Evans to old for the Pats 3/4 yr time line.  Note,  I'm sick and tired with BIG WRs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Antoine Winfield Jr. IMO he's perfect, free safety. He has a little Rodney in him. He would be great with Peppers. I loved him in the draft. Put him in your backfield and get a CB. Now you have a dominate secondary. Another is Grant Delpit depends on the money history injuries however he was a high rated player coming out. I like him as well.

Kyle Dugger   IMO he is a good player with average skills in coverage. I'm not braking the bank especially after drafting Mapu who players the same position. Ya I know he's a fan favorite however top dollar hell no. He does make plays but you have to look at the hole picture. He's 30 in 3 years. You only have so much money and that money better be going to the offense and if you spend on defense it better be a big need, IMO that CB, FS, LB, DL in that order.

Other players listed I don't know them well enough to comment such as TEs another major need.

I don’t view Higgins or Evans as realistic options because I don’t think either would want to play in NE at this point, period. Not as things currently stand. Ridley would be nice, but I’m not sure Jacksonville doesn’t re-sign him. Winfield is going to be the next highest paid safety - I might be okay with that. Dugger should be brought back at the right price, but not for a huge payday, agreed. Being 30 in 3 years isn’t really a concern when you’re signing guys to 3-4 even 5 year deals. Safeties playing to 32ish isn’t really remotely out of the norm. 

Tight end is rough. Henry and Gesicki are probably two of the top FAs available. I’m fine with bringing either or both back. Henry especially has been the only reliable target on this team these last few years. 

Priority #1 after the season’s end but before free agency has to be re-signing Onwenu. Keep him at tackle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2023 at 6:32 PM, m haynes said:

Here the list  https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-free-agents-by-position/

I would look at my return on investment with each player building a roster.  Basically price is right.

Baker Mayfield not a big fan however upgrade bridge guy. I don't touch vets because we won't see the SB in 3/4 years. Kirk Cousins no thanks.

Calvin Ridley  He a professional WR and you won't have to break the bank.  I love his game.

Tee Higgins, Mike Evans  To big of a price tag. I like Higgins however not for the Pats. He's 2 WR and we need a speed guy. He wants 1st WR money, hell no. Evans to old for the Pats 3/4 yr time line.  Note,  I'm sick and tired with BIG WRs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Antoine Winfield Jr. IMO he's perfect, free safety. He has a little Rodney in him. He would be great with Peppers. I loved him in the draft. Put him in your backfield and get a CB. Now you have a dominate secondary. Another is Grant Delpit depends on the money history injuries however he was a high rated player coming out. I like him as well.

Kyle Dugger   IMO he is a good player with average skills in coverage. I'm not braking the bank especially after drafting Mapu who players the same position. Ya I know he's a fan favorite however top dollar hell no. He does make plays but you have to look at the hole picture. He's 30 in 3 years. You only have so much money and that money better be going to the offense and if you spend on defense it better be a big need, IMO that CB, FS, LB, DL in that order.

Other players listed I don't know them well enough to comment such as TEs another major need.

Mayfield is still only 28, and with the year he's having in Tampa there's no way he signs to be a stopgap guy, some team who consider themselves a QB away will make him a starter, and that's if he doesn't get a long-term deal in TB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jofos said:

I'm staying with McCarthy as my QB choice. Smart, hardworking, and beat Alabama in overtime...didn't the Patriots have a QB from Michigan like that before?

And I still like McCarthy as well, but my favorite is Penix and it isn’t particularly close.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

And I still like McCarthy as well, but my favorite is Penix and it isn’t particularly close.

Penix made some great throws last night. I really just think the two guys the so-called experts think are the best are no ware close to being the best.

8 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I'm warming to idea of Pennix in the back half of the first/early second, trade up candidate. If he keeps this up, he may go earlier. The medicals will be huge.

I am all over the place with what I want them to do, and its only January 2nd lol.

17 hours ago, jofos said:

I'm staying with McCarthy as my QB choice. Smart, hardworking, and beat Alabama in overtime...didn't the Patriots have a QB from Michigan like that before?

I'm not in his camp.  I see him as a  great college QB without enough passing skills for the NFL. UM has a very vanilla offense with little imagination.

reminds me of Stetson Bennett

McCarthy is going to live and die by how he develops his skill set in the NFL. Really tough to take a guy high based on that alone. 

I’m not in love with Maye. Seems like Williams and MHJ will go 1-2, regardless of who picks them. Suppose I’d be content with any of Fashanu, Alt, or Nabers at that point. High for Daniels, but without a trade back and with QB needy teams right there, I suppose I could see it. Nervous as hell of they take Maye. Anyone else at 3, I think I’d lose hair. 

Realistically, if the top 3 QBs are gone midway through the first round, I wouldn’t be upset with most of the second tier guys in the top of the second.

14 hours ago, Soko said:

McCarthy is going to live and die by how he develops his skill set in the NFL. Really tough to take a guy high based on that alone. 

I’m not in love with Maye. Seems like Williams and MHJ will go 1-2, regardless of who picks them. Suppose I’d be content with any of Fashanu, Alt, or Nabers at that point. High for Daniels, but without a trade back and with QB needy teams right there, I suppose I could see it. Nervous as hell of they take Maye. Anyone else at 3, I think I’d lose hair. 

Realistically, if the top 3 QBs are gone midway through the first round, I wouldn’t be upset with most of the second tier guys in the top of the second.

I see only 2 picks at 3. Danials or Fashanu, maybe Alt however the combine and SR (if they participate) will give us a better picture.

Dream scenario would be Harrison falls to 3 and the Cards give us 4,17,35 and other picks in a trade.

4. Danials  QB

17 Kool-Aid McKinstry  CB

34  Jordan Morgan LT

35 Troy Franklin, Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, Ladd McConkey, Ja'Lynn Polk, WR 

-------

Harrison passed on because we need players/picks. My scenario, we get the QB, #1 CB, quality WR, (McConkey reminds me of Copper Kupp.)

Also a very underrated LT, draft Bucky's know crap. I'm not sure if he makes it to the 2nd RD. JM movement and balance very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byaoe0pyAmg

Side note . In this tape he goes against the best defensive player in the draft. #15 Latu who if he falls to 17 (miracle however I never would guess Gonzo would fall) you have a big choice CB, Edge.

JM this year back from 2022 AC tear. IMO we haven't seen him at his best, yet.

Trade to 4th pick all comes down to is Harrison greater than Danials,  McKinstry and  Morgan. IMO not even close. Especially getting the quality WR in 2024 draft

IMO WR are great statistically however they don't move the needle without a QB or OL.

See Jets Wilson as example, also Chase on the Bengal without Burrows, Jefferson Vikings same thing without Cousins.

On 12/8/2023 at 11:19 PM, Crimmage said:

This is as involved as I've ever been in a college football season, so I'll admit that I have a bunch of guys I love for the Patriots. 

QB - Jayden Daniels will be a top 5 pick when it's all said and done. He's electric, throws a beautiful deep pass while still being able to throw a nice touch pass too. His progress throughout the season has been incredible. He has a lower floor than some other QB's in this draft, but I honestly think he has the highest ceiling of an QB this year. My concern is that i'm not sure he would reach his full potential with BB/O'Brien. He's a little older but still has room to grow, so I could see BB loving him if he's still around. 

QB - Michael Penix I'd imagine goes in the top 15, unless his medicals cause him to drop out of the top 100. He's a leader, incredibly accurate and you can tell his teammates would do everything for him. His story is incredible and I'll be rooting for him no matter where he ends up. Id want to make sure I have a great offense line to protect him and an offense which allows him to focus more on that intermediate to deep passing game. My concern is that i'm not sure he would reach his full potential with BB/O'Brien. 

QB - Drake Maye is interesting and could honestly go either way for me. He's got talent, but makes a lot of Mac level plays too... except he gets away with them in college because he's more talented. Is he playing hero ball because he's basically the only top QB without an all star cast around him? Maybe, but he does a lot of stuff that will get him in trouble at the next level. I would be happy if the Patriots took him at 2 because he may be the player who fits their current system the best.. but I don't think he's Herbert like many think. Personally, as of today I would trade back from 2 if the Patriots have that pick. I say that because I like Daniels more and I think you could convince a team to give you a lot to get him. Washington is the perfect example.. they are pick 4.. Patriots Pick 2.. I think you could trade back 2 spots, pick up one of their 2 2nd round picks this season and get another 2nd next year. I do that all day.

RB - Trey Benson can do it all, he would be an awesome player to pair with Stevenson for a year then take over as the full time RB. Unfortunately, i'm guessing he goes late 2nd and he would be a luxury pick for the Pats. 

RB - Will Shipley won't test great (mid 4.5's) i'm thinking.. which could cause him to fall a bit. What he lacks in long speed he makes up for in short area quickness though, which is exactly what they need. I'm not worried about 50 yard runs, I want a safety blanket who can take a negative play and turn it into a 5-10 yard gain. He's a baller and has receiving ability. Especially with a young QB this team desperately needs a 3rd down back and I think he can do the job. 

RB - Bucky Irving I see kind of like a slightly worse version of Shipley. He's probably faster in a straight line, but 10lbs lighter.. worse in pass protection, not as twitchy,etc. Shipley I'd spend a 4th on.. Irving I'd probably be hoping to grab him in the 6th

RB - Jonathon Brooks was probably a top 40 pick if he didn't get injured. I'm sure he's going to go back to school, but if he decides against it I would totally draft and redshirt him with a 4th round pick. He can do it all. 

RB - Marshawn Lloyd isn't talked about at all... but he's another guy who could be seen as a nice change up RB. He has been pretty good in blitz pickup and has some experience in the passing game. Another guy on day 3 that is worth a flyer to be a potential 3rd down back. 

I'm not drafting any WR unless Troy Brown is fired as a heads up.. 

WR - Marvin Harrison Jr is awesome.. but call me crazy, I wouldn't want the Patriots to draft him. I think he's so hyped up that you could get a haul for trading back. By the time the draft is here I think a team would be dumb enough to trade a haul for him. 

WR - Malik Nabers is a favorite of mine. Back when people believed Daniels was a late 1st, early 2nd round pick I wanted Nabers in the top 10 to pair with Daniels. Unfortunately, that's not going to be possible anymore unless the Patriots are able to trade BB for a 1st. Now if you could trade BB for say pick 15.. and the Patriots have pick 2, I'm figuring out a way to go back to 5ish to grab Daniels then get back into the top 10 and get Nabers. Pairing the two of them would be incredibly fun. He's a YAC machine

WR - Brian Thomas Jr is my backup for the pair a qb tandem. He's a different type of receiver from Nabers and is less proven, but he makes plays. In the 2nd round he would be really fun to watch. Big and physical, but actually has speed to go along with it. 

WR - Malachi Corley is a Yac machine, if Bill O'Brien is still here I think he would pair really well with Pop at the Z. He has the twitch you need in this type of offense and I could see him and Pop causing opponents nightmares. He's probably a 3rd round pick because of the depth of this class.. but if you're going QB in the 1st and LT in the 2nd.. Corley is an awesome option in the 3rd. 

WR - Xavier Legette has looked awesome.. has AJ Brown potential but i'm hesitant to put him in my top 40 like I've started to see him. He is a late bloomer, will be a 23 year old rookie and only has one year of production. He could be awesome, but I worry he's sort of a man amongst boys... I need to watch more. 

WR - Rome Odunze is a baller, 21 and 2 years of college production. I have 2 concerns with him.. his speed will be the difference between being a #1 or not, and I feel he's slightly overhyped because of team success. If he goes in the top 10-15 like many are saying, I'm not taking that risk in a class this deep.. but if he's there in the 20's, i'm thoroughly intrigued. Courtland Sutton feels like a good comp, I want to see him at the Senior bowl before making a final decision. Maybe if he dominates there he will be closer to a top 10 pick. 

WR - Emeka Egbuka feels like a forgotten guy in this class. He's not a #1, but if he's there at the top of the 2nd I'm dropping him into that Z spot for the next decade and plenty happy with the decision. 

WR - Xavier Worthy has been described as tall Zay Flowers and I can certainly see it. My concern is he's 160 pounds.. we've already seen pop get a couple concussions as a rookie, do we really want to create an entire offense centered around two guys who are under 180lbs? If he's there in the 2nd, the talent is likely too much to pass up.. but i'm not taking him in the 1st unless he weighs over 180 and runs a low 4.4 at the combine. 

you nailed everything