Game 13: Detroit Lions (9-3) @ Chicago Bears (4-8)

Louis Friend

13 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Those non divisional losses looking more important than posters made it seem.

Now Detroit needs a little help to get this done.

Losing more control of their own destiny sadly 

You may want to read up on how playoff seeding is determined:

No. 1 seed: Best record in the NFC or AFC

No. 2 seed: Second-best record for a division winner

No. 3 seed: Third-best record for a division winner

No. 4 seed: Fourth-best record for a division winner

No. 5 seed: Best record for Wild-Card teams

No. 6 seed: Second-best record for Wild-Card teams

No. 7 seed: Third-best record for Wild-Card teams

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/nfl-playoff-format-how-does-the-nfl-postseason-work

Just now, Karnage84 said:

I think what were seeing is that Campbell and Holmes have had a plan for the rebuild and they weren't going to deviate from it. We are 9-4 and many of us were clamouring for extra help on the edge and other pieces. It looks like they were planning on holding steady no matter what and just playing out the season. For a team with all of the accolades as a top OL in the league, our depth is really poor and it's a steep drop when our starters struggle. 

I blame lack of adjustment. They don't adjust well. When up they let off gas. When down they don't adjust to why down.

It's a coaching staff issue. More so on Glenn but even Ben at times fails to adjust early enough. 

Just now, Just Want A Title said:

You may want to read up on how playoff seeding is determined:

No. 1 seed: Best record in the NFC or AFC

No. 2 seed: Second-best record for a division winner

No. 3 seed: Third-best record for a division winner

No. 4 seed: Fourth-best record for a division winner

No. 5 seed: Best record for Wild-Card teams

No. 6 seed: Second-best record for Wild-Card teams

No. 7 seed: Third-best record for Wild-Card teams

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/nfl-playoff-format-how-does-the-nfl-postseason-work

I know how it works: but the losses matter even outside division. Back to earlier posts about this loss isn't as significant is a joke. All losses regardless are significant 

9 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

It's a coaching staff issue. More so on Glenn but even Ben at times fails to adjust early enough. 

Ben is really, really creative. But it feels like sometimes he doesn't have a solid fundamental game-plan to fall back onto when that creativity isn't working/flowing. I guess it all stems from the line.

Lions have been playing poorly for a while. It's not the worst time for it to happen tbh. There is plenty of time left for them to get streaky.

I think next year will be better with another solid draft and some splashy FAs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nagahide13 said:

Ben is really, really creative. But it feels like sometimes he doesn't have a solid fundamental game-plan to fall back onto when that creativity isn't working/flowing. I guess it all stems from the line.

Lions have been playing poorly for a while. It's not the worst time for it to happen tbh. There is plenty of time left for them to get streaky.

I think next year will be better with another solid draft and some splashy FAs.

Yea he's creative but the leagues adapted and he's not

He needs to adjust now that more film out there. 

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

You don’t need to announce your departure 

Technically none of us have to announce (say) anything, but it is a forum to do so. So just for you buddy, I'll announce every arrival and departure from now on. I am browsing the thread now.

31 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

I know how it works: but the losses matter even outside division. Back to earlier posts about this loss isn't as significant is a joke. All losses regardless are significant 

Take a look at last year.  You had division winning teams who were sub .500 making the playoffs because they won their division.  Taking care of business in your division and conference gets teams in the playoffs.  Clearly, the Lions didn't do that today.

36 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Take a look at last year.  You had division winning teams who were sub .500 making the playoffs because they won their division.  Taking care of business in your division and conference gets teams in the playoffs.  Clearly, the Lions didn't do that today.

This is such a weird take that you keep holding onto. 

Our magic number to clinch the division is 3. Any AFC win contributes to that. What is hard to understand about that?

5 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Our magic number to clinch the division is 3. Any AFC win contributes to that. What is hard to understand about that?

Yes I don't even know. Those wins don't matter I guess if you win them since those losses don't matter. Not sure why NFL even plays anyone outside division 

13 minutes ago, General Tso said:

How many of the playoffs seed position start with Division winner?  How are tie breakers determined?  We didn't get in last year because of a loss to Seattle and the late conference loss to Carolina.  Overal record matters but as the rules state, win your division and you are in.  Our loss today was in the the division so it is the worst possible loss to take.

1 minute ago, Just Want A Title said:

How many of the playoffs seed position start with Division winner?  How are tie breakers determined?  We didn't get in last year because of a loss to Seattle and the late conference loss to Carolina.  Overal record matters but as the rules state, win your division and you are in.  Our loss today was in the the division so it is the worst possible loss to take.

Nothing you said negates what I said. Win against Baltimore, the magic number for the division is down to 2.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Nothing you said negates what I said. Win against Baltimore, the magic number for the division is down to 2.

The whole "magic number" thing is a trap that makes teams passive.  Last year and again this year, the Lions have very much been in control of their own destiny.  Good teams don't rely on other teams "helping them".  Teams that limp into the playoffs don't usually have much success.