Game 13: Detroit Lions (9-3) @ Chicago Bears (4-8)

Louis Friend

Just now, Just Want A Title said:

The whole "magic number" thing is a trap that makes teams passive.  Last year and again this year, the Lions have very much been in control of their own destiny.  Good teams don't rely on other teams "helping them".  Teams that limp into the playoffs don't usually have much success.

That still doesn't negate what I said lol! Detroit had control of winning Baltimore and they lost. One less win towards securing the division.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, General Tso said:

That still doesn't negate what I said lol! Detroit had control of winning Baltimore and they lost. One less win towards securing the division.

Actually, it does.  If the Lions were grown up enough to handle their business against teams that they should beat, there isn't even a conversation about "magic numbers".  The Lions were 9-3 playing against a 4-8 Bears team.  They had a chance to to get a win against a division opponent and didn't get it done.  A few weeks ago, the late season games against the Vikings didn't matter.  The first of those two games is going to matter a lot because as a team, they just aren't grown up enough to beat the teams that they really should beat.  That includes the coaching staff and the players.

Edited by Just Want A Title

2 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Actually, it does.  If the Lions were grown up enough to handle their business against teams that they should beat, there isn't even a conversation about "magic numbers".  The Lions were 9-3 playing against a 4-8 Bears team.  They had a chance to to get a win against a division opponent and didn't get it done.  A few weeks ago, the late season games against the Vikings didn't matter.  The first of those two games is going to matter a lot because as a team, they just aren't grown up enough to beat the teams that they really should beat.  That includes the coaching staff and the players.

They could've handled their business against the Ravens too. 

It's like I'm talking at a wall.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, General Tso said:

They could've handled their business against the Ravens too. 

It's like I'm talking at a wall.

The only wall you are talking to is the one looking at you in the mirror.  Read the rules.  Unless the Lions were contending for the #1 seed overall, the impact of a non-conference loss is well below that of a division loss.  

2 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The only wall you are talking to is the one looking at you in the mirror.  Read the rules.  Unless the Lions were contending for the #1 seed overall, the impact of a non-conference loss is well below that of a division loss.  

is a 10-3 record not better than a 9-4 record towards winning the division?

• Like 2

There’s some disturbing trends appearing. Goffs performance has been in decline. The oline is having problems. Terrible lack of pressure

Its gut check time. As time marched on it seemed like I wouldn’t live long enough to see the Lions win a Super Bowl. This year provided a glimmer of hope but that is dimming now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

There’s some disturbing trends appearing. Goffs performance has been in decline. The oline is having problems. Terrible lack of pressure

Its gut check time. As time marched on it seemed like I wouldn’t live long enough to see the Lions win a Super Bowl. This year provided a glimmer of hope but that is dimming now.

I would agree with you about Jared Goff.  He was playing at a high level but he and the rest of the offense have not been able to find a consistent rhythm.  I think getting hit so much more this season is has finally started to get into his head a little bit.  We have too many weapons on offense to be limited like they were today.

The D-Line made some progress today with pressure but had issues finishing and keeping containment.  One interesting note:  In limited snaps Brodric Martin played pretty well.  He got got some solid upfield pressure and didn't give up any scramble lanes.  Hopefully, they will continue to develop the big rookie.

8 hours ago, General Tso said:

So here's a hot take - Frank Haley deserves some criticism. That's 3 straight division games our OLine gets blown off the ball in pass protection. I don't care there's injuries, even guys like Decker and Jackson didn't play well.

You are probably right about that.  Our O-Line has been a lot more inconsistent than expected this year and some of the blocking schemes have been getting destroyed.

9 hours ago, General Tso said:

So here's a hot take - Frank Haley deserves some criticism. That's 3 straight division games our OLine gets blown off the ball in pass protection. I don't care there's injuries, even guys like Decker and Jackson didn't play well.

I never trusted Frank Haley!! 

We should hire Hank Fraley. He’s done great with the Lions OL. They were the #1 OL despite injuries to their LT, LG, C, RG and a couple backups! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I never trusted Frank Haley!! 

We should hire Hank Fraley. He’s done great with the Lions OL. They were the #1 OL despite injuries to their LT, LG, C, RG and a couple backups! 

😆I knew something sounded wrong with that name.

I would say Decker and Jonah both haven't been consistent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

😆I knew something sounded wrong with that name.

I would say Decker and Jonah both haven't been consistent.

I noticed Jonah looks fat. His helmet looked extra snug yesterday. 

Decker has looked bad for awhile. 

Id really like to draft at least two high OL this draft.