Dolphins Say Our Offense is Too Easy To Defend Against

Thaiphoon

So I thought this was interesting and I know that no one here would be smiling at this (not because of the result on the field but more that he's been right about the guy for a long time) more than @MKnight82

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2023/12/04/dolphins-lb-on-commanders-offense-they-struggle-with-the-routine-parts/

After Sunday’s loss, Dolphins linebacker David Long Jr. spoke to the media and offered some revealing thoughts about the offense.

“All you really have to do to defend this team is just be disciplined,” Long said via Nicki Jhabvala of The Washington Post. “They kind of struggle with the routine parts. When we watched them play, their best stuff was when [Sam] Howell was scrambling, or they moved the pocket and just let him try to make plays. There’s gonna be rollouts and breaking the pocket, plaster. But if you just stay on your man or find somebody when you don’t have nobody, it’s really easy to defeat stuff like that.”

That quote is pretty damning. Coming from an opposing player, it’s much more detailed than some of the nonsense the Giants said when they beat the Commanders. If Long and the Dolphins saw this, what do other teams see? And what is offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy doing to counteract this?

Howell has been excellent off-schedule. Bieniemy doesn’t move the pocket enough for Howell, often keeping him in shotgun.

Long wasn’t done. He had the following to say about the receivers.

‘They have some good dudes,” he said. “Terry [McLaurin], [Curtis] Samuel is cool, too. But I wouldn’t say that they have a dominant dude that you come in saying, ‘Oh, we gotta make sure to stop bro.’ I say that respectfully, too.'”

Here’s another quote about McLaurin that stood out.

“Terry makes some great plays, but it’s not like they force it to him or go out of their way to get him the ball so he can be contained,” Long said.

• Like 2

I'll point out to watch the pick 6 yesterday. Watch the Dolphins DE. He's literally standing up and ready for that screen. One where we don't even have Wylie taking care of him or a back out there. This is one of those quick hit screens so spare me the "Hyuk, Sam threw another Pick 6, I told you he sucks". The dude watched the game tape and knew this was coming. He was literally nowhere near a rush stance. And didn't even attempt to rush Sam. He sprinted directly upfield to intercept the ball. Now should Sam have seen it? Sure. I put some blame on him because he's the one who threw the ball. But to me it's a bang bang play with how it's designed (2 seconds to release - snap/turn/throw). And the defender KNEW we were going to do it because EB telegraphs what he's gonna do. He made a great play and he gets paid too. But the point is that we don't do any motion to help the young QB out, we line up and run plays out of stupid formations (example - 3rd and 4th and short and we run out of shotgun) and we don't run the danged ball.

Know what ELSE Long had to say? 

THIS.IS.REVEALING:

"Eight, 24,23 (Brian Robinson, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez) are all good backs. Of course they have weapons outside, but I think the run game stuck out to me the most. [Robinson's] a powerful runner. He can make people miss and break a lot of tackles. [Gibson] can do a lot of the same things. Like, they don't really run it a lot, but I think that's where they are dangerous. The backs are like that. They had our respect"

Imagine that...our run game is what concerns opposing defenses. And our OC can't seem to figure that out.

• Like 2

I said it in the gameday thread, you give a little leeway early on, but the same stuff week by week and he never changes. If I never have to see another Shotgun run on 3rd/4th and short, I will be ecstatic. I don't know whats worse, the percentage of times it is run in that situation or the percentage of times it has failed. This season is a great example of he shouldn't and probably won't ever be a NFL Head Coach. I honestly think this puts him back to positional coach work, probably ends up back in KC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'll point out to watch the pick 6 yesterday. Watch the Dolphins DE. He's literally standing up and ready for that screen. One where we don't even have Wylie taking care of him or a back out there. This is one of those quick hit screens so spare me the "Hyuk, Sam threw another Pick 6, I told you he sucks". The dude watched the game tape and knew this was coming. He was literally nowhere near a rush stance. And didn't even attempt to rush Sam. He sprinted directly upfield to intercept the ball. Now should Sam have seen it? Sure. I put some blame on him because he's the one who threw the ball. But to me it's a bang bang play with how it's designed (2 seconds to release - snap/turn/throw). And the defender KNEW we were going to do it because EB telegraphs what he's gonna do. He made a great play and he gets paid too. But the point is that we don't do any motion to help the young QB out, we line up and run plays out of stupid formations (example - 3rd and 4th and short and we run out of shotgun) and we don't run the danged ball.

Know what ELSE Long had to say? 

THIS.IS.REVEALING:

Imagine that...our run game is what concerns opposing defenses. And our OC can't seem to figure that out.

Van Ginkel already said he knew it was coming. He said Wylie makes a certain move everytime they run that play and he gives the play away. They saw it on film and he was shocked that he actually made the same exact move during the game so he knew what the play was going to be lol

I'll see if I can find the quote

On his pick-six:

“It starts during the week in preparation and [Defensive Coordinator] Vic [Fangio] puts in good play calls. He does a good job of explaining throughout the week what to expect in certain situations. It’s something that was kind of on my radar. When I saw the tackle [Andrew Wylie] kind of do his, he kind of does the same thing on wide receiver screens, so, I kind of expected it. When it happened, I couldn’t believe it and the rest was history.” 

Found it Thai lol

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Van Ginkel already said he knew it was coming. He said Wylie makes a certain move everytime they run that play and he gives the play away. They saw it on film and he was shocked that he actually made the same exact move during the game so he knew what the play was going to be lol

I'll see if I can find the quote

On his pick-six:

“It starts during the week in preparation and [Defensive Coordinator] Vic [Fangio] puts in good play calls. He does a good job of explaining throughout the week what to expect in certain situations. It’s something that was kind of on my radar. When I saw the tackle [Andrew Wylie] kind of do his, he kind of does the same thing on wide receiver screens, so, I kind of expected it. When it happened, I couldn’t believe it and the rest was history.” 

Found it Thai lol

Yeah, I mean it was OBVIOUS that he knew EXACTLY what was coming. So whatever tipped him off, he paid attention to what his coaches and he saw on the tape and just jumped it. Like I said, I can't absolve Sam of blame here, but I'm not giving him the lion's share. Predictable playcalling and OL that tip the play to the opposing defense are going to doom a play before it starts.

Wanted to add this:

https://fanrecap.com/article-212553/?utm_source=washington-commanders&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=nfl-mk&fbclid=IwAR0W10XlfFULAt2oKBuB49y8p4lCZrtIfSMDTnBnth0DhKWUcNzygh-jQQw

According to CBS Sports HQ senior NFL insider Josina Anderson, the Bears are expected to show interest in Bieniemy as a potential head coach in the upcoming offseason. Eberflus is currently being evaluated after the team’s 4-8 record in the first 12 games of the season.

Bieniemy, who is 54 years old, is currently serving as Washington’s assistant head coach and offensive coordinator. Previously, he spent five years as the offensive coordinator for the Chiefs. Despite being frequently mentioned as a head coaching candidate, he has been overlooked in the interview process. His future with the Commanders may depend on the job security of Washington head coach Ron Rivera.

16 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Wanted to add this:

https://fanrecap.com/article-212553/?utm_source=washington-commanders&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=nfl-mk&fbclid=IwAR0W10XlfFULAt2oKBuB49y8p4lCZrtIfSMDTnBnth0DhKWUcNzygh-jQQw

According to CBS Sports HQ senior NFL insider Josina Anderson, the Bears are expected to show interest in Bieniemy as a potential head coach in the upcoming offseason. Eberflus is currently being evaluated after the team’s 4-8 record in the first 12 games of the season.

Bieniemy, who is 54 years old, is currently serving as Washington’s assistant head coach and offensive coordinator. Previously, he spent five years as the offensive coordinator for the Chiefs. Despite being frequently mentioned as a head coaching candidate, he has been overlooked in the interview process. His future with the Commanders may depend on the job security of Washington head coach Ron Rivera.

They can have him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

And if they do hire him as their head coach, IIRC we get a 3rd round comp pick each of the next two drafts

The 49ers fans said they have to be on the (our) staff for two years minimum. Not sure if that's true, but that's what I was told.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

The 49ers fans said they have to be on the (our) staff for two years minimum. Not sure if that's true, but that's what I was told.

Yeah, just read the entire rule. They are correct.

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

• Like 1