Week 14: San Francisco 49ers vs Seattle Seahawks

J-ALL-DAY

How this team lost three consecutive games is going to seem so baffling, especially if this team ends up winning it all in fairly dominant fashion. But those losses happened and we responded with four wins in a row and the most important win against the Eagles. That was definitely a fun game to watch after a frustrating first quarter but now we play a divisional foe that will have more rest than us and one that just saw us a few weeks ago.

Even though we won in a blowout on Thanksgiving, our offense was stifled for a decent portion of the game. The Seahawks did a good job of taking the in breaking routes away but I felt Purdy gave their corners a little too much respect. Dak went after Woolen and Witherspoon all game long and had a lot of success and we are going to have to beat them on the sidelines as well. There is no reason for Aiyuk not to have 8-10 targets this game. The play action doesn't work as well against this defense and that's fine since we should implement the quick passing game with Deebo/CMC. Kittle needs to get some shots down the seam as well. Looking forward to seeing how Purdy performs the second time around and how we attack their defense.

Defensively, I expect Smith to also get rid of the ball quicker than he did the last meeting. He did a much better job against the Cowboys at that and their top three WRs can be a problem when he does so. Ward will be travelling with Metcalf again and that will be a good match up as always. No doubt they take a few shots to Metcalf deep, just comes down to Ward being in good position to contest the catch. I think there is a chance Walker returns so we will have to potentially deal with him this time around. Still, our defense has done well against Smith and they should be able to hold him in check on Sunday as well. 

I don't like the team being favored by 12.5 points but this team has won 8 games by double digits so it kind of makes sense.

49ers 30

Seahawks 17

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

How this team lost three consecutive games is going to seem so baffling, especially if this team ends up winning it all in fairly dominant fashion. But those losses happened and we responded with four wins in a row and the most important win against the Eagles. That was definitely a fun game to watch after a frustrating first quarter but now we play a divisional foe that will have more rest than us and one that just saw us a few weeks ago.

Even though we won in a blowout on Thanksgiving, our offense was stifled for a decent portion of the game. The Seahawks did a good job of taking the in breaking routes away but I felt Purdy gave their corners a little too much respect. Dak went after Woolen and Witherspoon all game long and had a lot of success and we are going to have to beat them on the sidelines as well. There is no reason for Aiyuk not to have 8-10 targets this game. The play action doesn't work as well against this defense and that's fine since we should implement the quick passing game with Deebo/CMC. Kittle needs to get some shots down the seam as well. Looking forward to seeing how Purdy performs the second time around and how we attack their defense.

Defensively, I expect Smith to also get rid of the ball quicker than he did the last meeting. He did a much better job against the Cowboys at that and their top three WRs can be a problem when he does so. Ward will be travelling with Metcalf again and that will be a good match up as always. No doubt they take a few shots to Metcalf deep, just comes down to Ward being in good position to contest the catch. I think there is a chance Walker returns so we will have to potentially deal with him this time around. Still, our defense has done well against Smith and they should be able to hold him in check on Sunday as well. 

I don't like the team being favored by 12.5 points but this team has won 8 games by double digits so it kind of makes sense.

49ers 30

Seahawks 17

This can be a type of trap game just like how the Browns game was even prior to the Niners injuries. Seattle is desperate and thus the Niners will most likely be in a dog fight through the 4th quarter. I expect them to pull away late but they have to forget about the Philly win and move on to the Seahawks.

I would like them to run CMC a lot in this game and thus set up the Purdy play action passes just like how he hooked up with Ayuik in the 4th for that TD in the last game as it was all set up by the run. The only thing that scares me about the Seahawks offense is there trio of WR's getting open downfield against the Niners secondary as even in the Eagles game the WR's were getting open and preventing the Niners defense from getting off the field.

For whatever reason, we usually  struggle in our first home game back after an east coast road game. Also I expect the Seahawks to be extra motivated as they got blown out by us. They also are on 10 days rest compared to our normal week. And I hope we don’t get too overconfident. Last time we blew out a nfc east contender we lost the very next game 

If we win this though, we clinch the division, and that’s motivation enough. I think we grind out a relatively close win. 27-17 is my prediction 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

For whatever reason, we usually  struggle in our first home game back after an east coast road game. Also I expect the Seahawks to be extra motivated as they got blown out by us. They also are on 10 days rest compared to our normal week. And I hope we don’t get too overconfident. Last time we blew out a nfc east contender we lost the very next game 

If we win this though, we clinch the division, and that’s motivation enough. I think we grind out a relatively close win. 27-17 is my prediction 

Have to hope Kyle Shannahan doesn't get too first down pass happy like he did in Seattle 2 weeks ago with a 21-3 lead. I put that pick 6 that Brock threw to start the 2nd half on Kyle for calling two pass plays in a row to start the first drive and the first pass was nearly a pick via a Brock overthrow and then the second was a pick 6 from Brock. That entire sequence could've been avoided by running the ball on both first and second down. The first down pass call was worse than the 2nd down pass call b/c the first pass caused them to get behind the sticks and thus cause Brock to force it on 2nd down and all of a sudden it was 21-10 and had to sweat it out until the 4th quarter Brock TD to Ayuik.

Already mentioned, but yes, we are a little rusty coming back home from the east coast. I still believe we will come away with the win, but it will be a better Seattle team. They will have more drive and of course the Thanksgiving game, Geno was coming off the injury. 

I can see Kittle having a big game, sprinkled with some Aiyuk. Run game will start us out, but I could definitely see Sea attempt the 5 man front to slow us down.

SF - 28

SEA - 13

Obviously this is a bit of a let down spot after the eagles beat down, and as @49ersfan said, there is a history of the team struggling coming back home after playing out east. I think it's typically after back to back east coast games where we really struggle, but there has been a history. 

That said, I've seen 4 games of Geno Smith and the Seattle offense against this team in the last year and a half and there is nothing that indicates to me that they are going to be able to move the ball well enough to keep up with the 49er offense, even with Abe Lucas back. Geno Smith has really hated life against the niners the last two years. 

I thought Seattle did about as good of a job as you could ask their secondary to do down the field in the first matchup, and muddled up Purdy some, but the 49ers still moved the ball well enough to put up 30+ points. Wasn't always pretty, but the end result was the same nonethless. 

28 - 17 49ers. 

31 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

This can be a type of trap game just like how the Browns game was even prior to the Niners injuries. Seattle is desperate and thus the Niners will most likely be in a dog fight through the 4th quarter. I expect them to pull away late but they have to forget about the Philly win and move on to the Seahawks.

I would like them to run CMC a lot in this game and thus set up the Purdy play action passes just like how he hooked up with Ayuik in the 4th for that TD in the last game as it was all set up by the run. The only thing that scares me about the Seahawks offense is there trio of WR's getting open downfield against the Niners secondary as even in the Eagles game the WR's were getting open and preventing the Niners defense from getting off the field.

It's almost a must win game for the Seahawks and they will be well rested. They will be ready and we will be coming back from the EC and as @49ersfan pointed out, we struggle a bit the following week. We destroyed Jacksonville and didn't have the best of performances against Tampa Bay the following week. Same with the opening week against the Steelers compared to the Rams game in week 2. 

We should win since the odds are in our favor when we have our top guns and they finish the game. 

That record speaks for itself. Just have to handle business this week even if it is a bit of a sloppy start. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Obviously this is a bit of a let down spot after the eagles beat down, and as @49ersfan said, there is a history of the team struggling coming back home after playing out east. I think it's typically after back to back east coast games where we really struggle, but there has been a history. 

That said, I've seen 4 games of Geno Smith and the Seattle offense against this team in the last year and a half and there is nothing that indicates to me that they are going to be able to move the ball well enough to keep up with the 49er offense, even with Abe Lucas back. Geno Smith has really hated life against the niners the last two years. 

I thought Seattle did about as good of a job as you could ask their secondary to do down the field in the first matchup, and muddled up Purdy some, but the 49ers still moved the ball well enough to put up 30+ points. Wasn't always pretty, but the end result was the same nonethless. 

28 - 17 49ers. 

Only thing I will say is that typically on TNF games, our offense just isn't super sharp and it makes sense with the type of offense we have. Against the Giants this year we ended up with 30+ points but it wasn't always smooth sailing and last year against Seattle on a short week we did just enough to win while exploding in the playoffs against them. 

I do think some of the things Seattle does defensively against this team is tough to deal with but Purdy just needs to trust Aiyuk on the sidelines against their corners. There will be openings but they will be more down the field rather than the intermediate area. Totally different game plan compared to the one we just saw against the Eagles. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It's almost a must win game for the Seahawks and they will be well rested. They will be ready and we will be coming back from the EC and as @49ersfan pointed out, we struggle a bit the following week. We destroyed Jacksonville and didn't have the best of performances against Tampa Bay the following week. Same with the opening week against the Steelers compared to the Rams game in week 2. 

We should win since the odds are in our favor when we have our top guns and they finish the game. 

That record speaks for itself. Just have to handle business this week even if it is a bit of a sloppy start. 

Need to get the win and then root for the Cowboys as I think they need the #1 seed b/c I don't want them drawing the Green Bay Packers in a wildcard game as even though no more Aaron Rodgers I now fear Jordan Love. If they get the bye then they can wait for an opponent and just hope it's not the Cowboys for the divisional round as would only like to go through one of Eagles or Cowboys in the playoffs as not both of them.

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Seahawks can't win the division if we win, but Rams technically still can. They're on the road against the Ravens next week, and assuming Baltimore beats them and the Niners take care of business against Seattle they'd have to lose out and the Rams win out(including the Week 18 game). In that scenario, both teams finish 10-7 and Rams win the division on tiebreakers(5-1 vs 4-2 division record since we'd have lost to the Cards). Seahawks could also still finish 10-7 after a loss this week, but they'd have been swept by both us and the Rams head-to-head so would automatically finish third. 

Edited by jonnguy2015

If we complete the sweep over the Seahawks and guarantee that we finish ahead of them in the division, certainly wouldn't mind them doing us a solid and beating the Eagles in Seattle on MNF as well, so we have breathing room in case we lose the Ravens game or drop a game we shouldn't against the Cards, Commanders, or Rams. Best case, we're able to give the starters some more rest in Week 18 against the Rams. Different teams throughout the years obviously, but Seattle hasn't lost to Philly since 2008, having won seven straight during that span, and given that the Eagles have won few of their games decisively this year I could see Pete and Geno putting up a good fight with their season on the line

Edited by jonnguy2015