Don't You Dare MOCK Us!

vike daddy

29 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

tell me how i did here...

i'm in a GM Mock Draft in our forum here and i'm the Vikings GM, which c'mon is the stupidest personnel decision ever made.

the rules of this draft only allow you to trade present 2024 assets, no future picks, and you can't trade players either. 

i just made our first pick, trading with Atlanta at 8. here's how the early 1st round went:

1) CHI - QB Williams
2) WASH - QB Maye
3) NE - WR Harrison
4) AZ - WR Nabers
5) LAC - WR Odunze
6) NYG - OT Alt
7) DENVER trades up with TENN - QB Daniels

8 ) MINN trades with ATL - QB JJ McCarthy

MINN trades:

ATL trades:

the GM for Chicago at 9) was already advertising he was open to trading for a team that wanted McCarthy, so he was going on the next pick after me.

If you value Daniels over McCarthy, I would have rather seen the trade up a pick earlier for him.

If you value McCarthy over Daniels, then things worked out quite well. It's better to trade with Atlanta than wait to try and trade with Chicago IMO because Chicago would likely enjoy sticking it to the Vikings if they had other similar value offers for 9.

If there is a QB that the Vikings would love to have at 11, the small trade up to 8 is a good move.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

If you value Daniels over McCarthy, I would have rather seen the trade up a pick earlier for him.

i do value McC over Daniels, yes. i'm concerned that Daniels, as talented as he is, is more like a basketball player on the football field. too quick to make his own run to the hoop, and is going to get fouled hard a lot. a lot.

i was in trade talks with TENN at 7) in this mock too, so Daniels was available to me. TENN wanted to trade our 1.11 and 1.23 for his 1.7 and 2.43. i wanted another pick from him (i think it was a 4th) and he balked at that.

with the trade with ATL i got 4 additional picks, but still don't have one (yet) in the 2nd. there are always tradeoffs to be made....

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Did you have any thought of trading up for Daniels? What did Denver give up?

Titans trade 1.7 to the Broncos for 1.12, 3.76, and 5.147

and no, i was targeting McCarthy once Maye was gone at #2.

actually, with two QB's and three WR's gone in the first five, and NYG not taking a QB, i felt pretty good about getting either McCarthy or Daniels. i decided to let another QB hungry team trade up, take who they wanted, then i'd go for the QB4. when Daniels went third, i was pleased. i just stretched it out as long as i could so the compensation was lower each time.

Edited by vike daddy

2024 NFL Draft: Minnesota Vikings 7-Round Mock Draft

1.4 JJ McCarthy - QB Michigan
TRADE: Vikings acquire picks No. 4 and No. 66 (Third Round) from the Arizona Cardinals in exchange for picks No. 11 and No. 23

3.66 Kris Jenkins - DL (Michigan)
4.108 Audric Estime - RB (Notre Dame)
4.129 Trevor Keegan - OG (Michigan)
5.140 Joe Milton - QB (Tennessee)
TRADE: Vikings acquire pick No. 140 from the Los Angeles Chargers in exchange for pick No. 157 (Fifth Round) and a fifth-round selection in 2025.

5.167 Luke McCaffrey - WR (Rice)
6.177 Jalen Green - EDGE (James Madison)
7.230 Dylan McMahon - C (NC State)
7.232 Isaiah Davis - RB (South Dakota State)

https://thevikingage.com/posts/minnesota-vikings-mock-draft-trade-up-jj-mccarthy-another-qb-day-3?fbclid=IwAR1XPqMYDpOqjzYx8sQ32UiUxC2e4HWMMB_-bl-xI1n29K6TtWkK_iXJ4Q8

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

2024 NFL Draft: Minnesota Vikings 7-Round Mock Draft

1.4 JJ McCarthy - QB Michigan
TRADE: Vikings acquire picks No. 4 and No. 66 (Third Round) from the Arizona Cardinals in exchange for picks No. 11 and No. 23

3.66 Kris Jenkins - DL (Michigan)
4.108 Audric Estime - RB (Notre Dame)
4.129 Trevor Keegan - OG (Michigan)
5.140 Joe Milton - QB (Tennessee)
TRADE: Vikings acquire pick No. 140 from the Los Angeles Chargers in exchange for pick No. 157 (Fifth Round) and a fifth-round selection in 2025.

5.167 Luke McCaffrey - WR (Rice)
6.177 Jalen Green - EDGE (James Madison)
7.230 Dylan McMahon - C (NC State)
7.232 Isaiah Davis - RB (South Dakota State)

https://thevikingage.com/posts/minnesota-vikings-mock-draft-trade-up-jj-mccarthy-another-qb-day-3?fbclid=IwAR1XPqMYDpOqjzYx8sQ32UiUxC2e4HWMMB_-bl-xI1n29K6TtWkK_iXJ4Q8

They aren't trading up for another QB. That would be truly shocking. 

• Like 2

5. Minnesota Vikings (via mock trade with LAC)

J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

Minnesota would be betting on McCarthy's combination of very good ball placement and mobility helping him become its long-term answer, with Sam Darnold in tow for 2024 if McCarthy needs time to get his feet wet. The supporting cast in Justin Jefferson, Jordan Addison, T.J. Hockenson and an elite offensive tackle duo give him a shot for serious early success. McCarthy completed 72.3% of his passes and threw only four interceptions last season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39854812/2024-nfl-mock-draft-field-yates-two-rounds-64-picks-predictions

• Like 2

hey guys, as Acting GM of the Vikings in our GM Mock Draft forum Last Chance Mock, we could have a pick coming up later today or tonight, if we make a trade.

we have the following picks:

1.8 JJ McCarthy

the other GM's are drafting in the 20's of the 1st round right now, and we don't have a 2nd round pick.

but do we want to trade in to the 2nd round later on? that's where you get to chime in on your views... and that includes @Ozzy.

some possible trade values:
** packaging 3.74 and 3.79 would get us up around 2.50 or so
** packaging 3.79 and 4.109 would get us up around 2.63 or so
** packaging 3.79 and 4.109 and 5.157 would get us up around 2.54 or so

let me know what you think.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Last-Chance-Mock-MINN-picks-v-2.jpg

this chart shows our picks. the green  are our original picks, the red boxes were acquired in a trade with Atlanta.

the numbers after our picks are the Jimmy Johnson trade values, which is what we're using for reference.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

hey guys, as Acting GM of the Vikings in our GM Mock Draft forum Last Chance Mock, we could have a pick coming up later today or tonight, if we make a trade.

we have the following picks:

1.8 JJ McCarthy

the other GM's are drafting in the 20's of the 1st round right now, and we don't have a 2nd round pick.

but do we want to trade in to the 2nd round later on? that's where you get to chime in on your views... and that includes @Ozzy.

some possible trade values:
** packaging 3.74 and 3.79 would get us up around 2.50 or so
** packaging 3.79 and 4.109 would get us up around 2.63 or so
** packaging 3.79 and 4.109 and 5.157 would get us up around 2.54 or so

let me know what you think.

I'd like two day-two picks so I'd trade up to get to 2.63.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'd like two day-two picks so I'd trade up to get to 2.63.

We already have 2 Day 2 picks in this draft, as the 3rd rd is also Day 2. 

Personally, I'd stand pat for right now.  The differences between what you'd get in the 60s and 70s isn't that great, and based on how the board has fallen right now, I don't see anyone that stands out (but of course, it's still early).  As we get closer to the 60s, then we'll see. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2