What should be the Lions' QB plan moving forward?

Duluther

For now, just play out the year.

Goff has neither the youth nor the accolades with his current team to demand a market breaking contract. At best he'll get a pay raise over Carr unless he wins multiple playoff games.

If you really want, you can trade Goff to whatever team Ben Johnson goes to, Goff is only on a one year deal, not crippling for the other team.

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

For now, just play out the year.

Goff has neither the youth nor the accolades with his current team to demand a market breaking contract. At best he'll get a pay raise over Carr unless he wins multiple playoff games.

If you really want, you can trade Goff to whatever team Ben Johnson goes to, Goff is only on a one year deal, not crippling for the other team.

What would even really be the market for Goff in trade?  I can't tell if there are teams QB desperate enough to go there for any sort of significant price.  Or even at all.  I'm often surprised by that level of desperation, but i think with Goff...it'd be two teams now that have decided he's just not good enough.  How many teams are out there looking for an "okay but not good enough" stopgap?  It feels to me like right now, most teams either have a better Starter (or a guy they're contractually tethered to), or they've got a young guy (or will be drafting one).

Atlanta, Titans, maybe Raiders keep trying different not good enough Vets?  idk.  Nothing really jumps out to me as a team that'd be super keen on Goff.  Which in theory, should also keep his contract demands down if they were to re-sign him.  But i don't see much wisdom in that from Detroit's end.  Just let him play out his last year and go from there.  Don't lock yourself into something you already kind of want to move on from.

11 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

What would even really be the market for Goff in trade?  I can't tell if there are teams QB desperate enough to go there for any sort of significant price.  Or even at all.  I'm often surprised by that level of desperation, but i think with Goff...it'd be two teams now that have decided he's just not good enough.  How many teams are out there looking for an "okay but not good enough" stopgap?  It feels to me like right now, most teams either have a better Starter (or a guy they're contractually tethered to), or they've got a young guy (or will be drafting one).

Atlanta, Titans, maybe Raiders keep trying different not good enough Vets?  idk.  Nothing really jumps out to me as a team that'd be super keen on Goff.  Which in theory, should also keep his contract demands down if they were to re-sign him.  But i don't see much wisdom in that from Detroit's end.  Just let him play out his last year and go from there.  Don't lock yourself into something you already kind of want to move on from.

Atlanta is the one that sticks out to me. Especially if Arthur Smith is fired, Ben Johnson could cook with those weapons.

31 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I kind of wonder if the Lions aren't a team that might make sense to take a swing on Shedeur Sanders.  Can probably get it done without spending a 1st (lose the extra option year but whatever).  And that final year of Goff under contract does buy them some time, even if it's a bit frustrating to burn another year of the window with that.

I would be VERY surprised if Sanders ended up declaring.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I would be VERY surprised if Sanders ended up declaring.

I could really see it going either way at this point.  On the one hand, yeah...they've kind built a program around him there.  Also not likely a 1st rounder if he comes out, which might be a whole "prestige" thing that is important to him.  But i'm also not sure how inclined he's going to be to go back and spend another year not getting paid.  Risking injury or even worsening his draft stock.  Don't have a great read on it either way, but if he does declare...Detroit seems like a fit to me.

11 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Atlanta is the one that sticks out to me. Especially if Arthur Smith is fired, Ben Johnson could cook with those weapons.

Could be a thing i suppose.  It's tough to gauge exactly where they might be headed with Ridder.  He's not good enough, but that's rarely stopped teams from continue to plow ahead with a young, cheap QB hoping that they miraculously improve a bunch.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I kind of wonder if the Lions aren't a team that might make sense to take a swing on Shedeur Sanders.  Can probably get it done without spending a 1st (lose the extra option year but whatever).  And that final year of Goff under contract does buy them some time, even if it's a bit frustrating to burn another year of the window with that.

Gross. No thanks. Keep that showboat away. He lacks the character for most teams and is not a Dan Campbell type player. 

"You're crying with a loaf of bread under your arm." - Old Yiddish expression.

The most immediate solution to the "problem" is to not play Goff in cold weather.

Beyond that, as others have suggested, bear in mind that one of the two best QBs in the strong 2023 draft hasn't played a down in the NFL yet:

===  SIS On Target Percentage by Throw Depth Chart  ===

Air   |          On Target % by Throw Depth
  Yards  |
   31+   |    55.6%   | 45.8% | 45.0%  | 41.2%  | 35.0%
21 to 30 |    53.5%   | 50.0% | 62.5%  | 54.5%  | 72.2%
16 to 20 |    54.5%   | 63.2% | 78.6%  | 73.7%  | 46.2%
11 to 15 |    61.8%   | 72.6% | 60.8%  | 70.3%  | 58.8%
 6 to 10 |    61.9%   | 83.1% | 74.5%  | 74.7%  | 69.4%
 1 to 5  |    70.8%   | 82.6% | 79.5%  | 78.9%  | 82.3%
         |            |       |        |        |  
   SIS   |   Anthony  | Bryce |  C.J.  | Hendon | Will
         | Richardson | Young | Stroud | Hooker | Levis
    S2   |    79%     |  98%  |  18%   |  46%   |  93%
   Buzz  |   86.5     | 94.1  |  90.9  |  88.1  | 91.0
    40   |   4.48     | 4.52  |  4.74  |  4.77  | 4.72
 Int/Att |   2.75%    | 1.32% |  1.54% |   .61% | 3.53%
 AdjCmp% |   128th    | 12th  |  58th  |  24th  | 28th
   ADoT  |    9th     | T-40  |  23rd  |   8th  | 89th
 BigToss |   38th     | 31st  |   8th  |  T-54  | 118th
   TWPR  |   T-58     | 15th  |  73rd  |   3rd  | 76th
 DeepYds |   16th     | 37th  |  12th  |   9th  | T-75
 ScrnYds |   86th     | 49th  |  63rd  |  56th  | 47th
 Yd/Pass |    7.7     |  8.8  |   9.4  |   9.5  |  8.4
DropRate |    7.4%    |  8.2% |   5.9% |   6.9% |  7.5%
 Release |   3.18s    | 3.02s |  2.92s |  2.60s | 2.58s
   WRs   |    664     |  812  |   334  |   877  |  966
   OL    |    424     |  451  |   100  |  1643  | 1430

The best thing the Lions can do for their QB is to concentrate on building a defense so the offense doesn't have to score so many points to win.  Tankathon suggests this as a possible 2024 draft haul:

=  Mock picks, draft buzz and PFF Big Board ranks, College rank & sched  =

Pik Pstn DraftBuzz 40Yd  Wide Receiver     College  PFF  Colg EoS Tall Lbs

27. Edg5  7th 87.3 4.62  JT Tuimoloau      Ohio St   35   5th -36 6'4" 270
59. CB10  9th 86.6 4.45  TJ Tampa          Iowa St   43  45th +31 6'2" 200
87. WR15 23rd 82.1 4.48  Devontez Walker   N Crla   100  33rd -18 6'3" 200
91. DL12 18th 85.0 4.98  McKinnley Jackson TexasA&M  81  39th  +2 6'2" 325