1. J.J. McCarthy QB Michigan

2. Leonard Taylor DE Miami (FL)

3. Malachi Corley WR Western Kentucky

4a. Jackson Powers-Johnson Center Oregon

4b. Kiran Amegadjie OT Yale

6. Jamon Dumas-Johnson ILB Georgia

7. Brady Cook QB Missouri

Anyone else a bit worried about Porter?

He's been giving me Artie Burns vibes the last few games.   Not a feeling I like to have.

Burns rookie year started off semi decent and he just went downhill from there.  Hope thats not the case here.   

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

most heat I've seen directed at Mike from the fanbase, maybe ever. 

Reminds me of Cowher circa 2003.   LeBeau and Ben saved him in 2004.

Not sure Tomlin will have the same luck.

colts had 26th ranked rush defence

najee had  12 carries 33 yards and IIRC a 15 yard run in that 

perhaps 11 carries and 16 yards is a way to look at it 1.45 ypc

losing several yards at the GL was just another play of his IMO, nothing new at all, same old. 

but this loss and team isn't on the shoulders of a RB or one player. Lots to work on in the offseason

10 hours ago, Squanchy said:

There’s no in season drastic change that can be made.  They’ll use injuries as the excuse but they were the same team while winning.   Just the few plays here and there changing Ls into Ws somehow. 

this season is done, most likely lose out 0-6 

then continue that into next season if this staff and the wrong 'leaders' are still here especially if QB is changed in a major  way.

Then it continues into the next  draft when this team WILL be picking near the top if the above continues. So it's either  wait a year and then get a top pick or  settle for a  middle of the draft pick unless they trade up.  Or trade down a bit and get more good players which is what I would do. Let KP have a legit year, and if he gets hurt , fails,  then at least pieces are in place for the new legit franchise QB. 

Look what KP was thrown into, canada, this bad OL, najee run game, mediocre WR's. Thats not the way to do it, actually it's backwards if you want to get the most outof a rookie deal QB. The pieces have to be in place.

I would  get the OL ,CB and WR positions set and get some ILB's that can stay healthy. Give KP a chance witha  new OC and better OL and if that doesn't work, it's over for him as QB 1 and then when drafting a legit franchise QB, the pieces are in place.  A legit OL is the start though, which KP never had and of course a legit OC, kinda helps or so we theorize anyways. Bring Haley back if you have to  :D.  ben can't run him down to the media because he had his best stats  years when Haley was here. 

21 minutes ago, 43M said:

He's been giving me Artie Burns vibes the last few games.   Not a feeling I like to have.

Burns rookie year started off semi decent and he just went downhill from there.  Hope thats not the case here.   

Nah. Not worried at all. He’s still performing well and positioning well. He’s been beat in places help should be. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 43M said:

11 penalties that don't go against his stats.   If  player allows 4  passes for 30 yards or another gets a penalty for 31 yards, which is more concerning.  Both are a problem, trick question.

Coaching is the issue, they are letting ported get away with this and not correcting it. Why? Because he is still by a margin the best CB on this team already and the history of players  privileges here  is continuing  now with Porter.  He is on the sidelines complaining about the call, but instead if it was a legit HC, the HC would be in his face telling/coaching  him to stop holding and start covering.  

Artie - this is a bit of a stretch but I see where you are coming from on this.  Porter has potential, he has shown this. Burns was a colbert fail with no potential and never did anything good that I remember. I still have that bengals TD in  my comedy bookmarks  ;) LMK if you want the link

Porter could end up being wasted here much like everyone else. The main issue is the coaching, until that changes, he will continue to get penalties he shouldn't .  He reminds me more of pouncey his first year ,  he appeared really good because the players around him were no good.   Same with Porter, our CB's are no good. Peterson talked a good game leading up to games, then gets owned. Levi is a step slow this year. Witherspoon is playing good, but of course he is on another team now. 

If they keep tomlin  and this cast,  it won't matter for a few years anyways.  To remove the tomlin effect and all the entitled whiners and mediocre players it will take several years.   You might want to turn off for the next 3 years or so.  A new coaching regime will have to clean house throughout and then start all over and it will take some time to clean up this wreck   . Unless this regime finally gets a legit OL for a QB and a QB that is legit, forget it. KP might be decent   , but really hasn't had a chance IMO with this OL  and most important  OC/HC. 

24 minutes ago, 43M said:

tomlin's luck was  walking into a team that had a culture and  was set with elite defence HOF DC, HOF QB and 2 DPOY's with HOF Troy.  That luck and culture  is gone and what we have now is actually tomlin. When they let tomlin play out his contract , we will be left with tomlin steelers for several years until  most of the players from his regime are gone. 

32 minutes ago, August4th said:

most heat I've seen directed at Mike from the fanbase, maybe ever. 

easily.  He earned it IMO, this has gone on and on and now he finally is getting his due credit for what he has created. 

22 minutes ago, August4th said:

saw a lot Tomlin defenders say they're done last night 

and still 3 games to go with the home game  and chants waiting.  What will they chant?  Notice how he won't be playing mitch  now or will he? I want the tomlin defenders to be around explaining why the team is in the cellar a few years from now instead of blaming the coach that is current then. 

11 minutes ago, August4th said:

Najee didn't speak with the media.. this locker room is a mess... I think Mike lost it 

if you take away the 15 yard run from najee he has about  11 carries and 16 yards and a fumble.  Why should anyone waste time talking to him?  

10 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Nah. Not worried at all. He’s still performing well and positioning well. He’s been beat in places help should be. 

what about the penalties and the yards they give up?

1 hour ago, DR43 said:

Here is my new mock draft:
1. J.J. McCarthy QB Michigan

2. Leonard Taylor DE Miami (FL)

3. Malachi Corley WR Western Kentucky

4a. Jackson Powers-Johnson Center Oregon

4b. Kiran Amegadjie OT Yale

6. Jamon Dumas-Johnson ILB Georgia

7. Brady Cook QB Missouri

I would not take McCarthy until the 4th or 5th round.  he is backup material.  Notice how much his production has fallen off when he lost Stallion feeding him the plays?

Edited by jebrick

45 minutes ago, 43M said:

He likely won't because of the difference in how the teams were built.  This team isn't just a DC and QB away from turning it around.  That 2004 team went too far away from the run because of what Tommy Maddox liked, were planning on slinging it around a bunch, then Ben came in and they refocused on the run.  LeBeau brought back the touch to play calling which was missing on the defensive side (pretty much the exact same defense) that created turnovers.  When teams knew that we were going to run the ball burning 6-7 minutes of game time, they wouldn't have a run game, it forced their hand to throw, which is where LeBeau's touch with calling the zone blitz created turnovers for the offense to take the ball again.

We're just not in position to do that.

40 minutes ago, August4th said:

saw a lot Tomlin defenders say they're done last night 

Sigh - I know how some are going to take this, and I don't want it to be taken this way.

Where we are now is a result of organizational failure top to bottom.  Very few are blaming ARII, the GM who was the architect of the "rebuild" is out the door, and the players are being defended by saying the coaching is the problem.  

I have a friend who's a Tomlin defender who went on a rant on FB, and I asked just what his expectations were for this team.  Response? "Colbert handed him a golden egg for 10 years, and this is a Super Bowl team if it weren't for coaching."

It's why I've said, I think people forget what a rebuild should look like.  That's not a defense of Tomlin or a statement to keep him.  HC needs to be evaluated as part of how do we move forward.  But - rebuilds tend to mean there's a lot that needs to go on.  I mean, just think of how many years (7 based on the way I count it) that it took for the defense to be overhauled.  We spend 2 years trying to fix an offense that needed attention long before that.

There's a reason I have tepid excitement for Weidl having as much input as he has.  I look at the Philly way and see that they spend a good bit of cap and draft capital on the lines.  And it shows for a long time how good that makes them.  I just think of this - after McNabb was drafted and the Eagles improved, they saw success with the following at QB: AJ Feeley, Jeff Garcia, Kevin Kolb, Michael Vick, Nick Foles, Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez (heck they finished 10-6 with him starting 8 games), Carson Wentz, Nick Foles again, Jalen Hurts.  Think of that, in 24 years they've gone through 3 franchise QBs, and made 5 look good enough to be traded for a high pick, heck they had success with a guy that spend 2 years in prison.

I predict we're in for another 2-3 years of this while we get the trenches right.  I miss the days when you looked at our OL and saw 4 1st or 2nd rounders and then our DL and saw 2 1sts and 1 4th rounder.

• Like 1