Week 15: Bengals (5-8) at VIKINGS (10-3)

swede700

54 minutes ago, disaacs said:

It was only a video from Broadcast News, since VD's quote reminded me of it. 

I'm not really sure what the whole context of the argument is, since I'm not going to read pages and pages of bantering back and forth whether it's nitpicking of Keenum or how Zimmer is handling him.  

Neither am I. It's pointless. Keenum's become a very good starting QB, and he and Zimmer will get along just fine as long as he continues to produce. It's been a pleasure to watch him play this year and I look forward to more of the same.

I just got around to reading this thread so am a little bit late to this party. Case Keenum made a ton of plays for the Vikings and had an amazing completion percentage.

IMO, it is silly to nitpick the guy for not throwing it to a deep TE off the practice squad when he made what I would consider the right choice and threw it to McKinnon for what should have been a TD if that just off the PS tight end would have done his job reasonably well. I don't think anyone will be sitting in team meetings and suggesting that Keenum should have thrown it to that TE. The TE is the only player that will be getting an earful.

Suggestions that the Vikings might be getting more out of one of the other QBs on the roster are completely outlandish. It is very clear that Case Keenum gives the team the best chance to win right now. He is making far more plays than any QB that Vikings have had in years.

I am not going to try too hard to convince anyone else of this because it isn't that important to me what others think. I am very comfortable that Mike Zimmer and Pat Shurmur have their heads on straight and see that Case Keenum is playing at a near MVP level. They are not messing with the guys head by nitpicking plays where Keenum made the right decision. They would not suggest he should have come off of that and tried heaving a crazy pass to a TE with questionable hands, questionable ability to track a ball int he air, and questionable ability to outrun the defenders that would have closed on him. Odds of a TD were much higher with a pass to McKinnon with a TE out in front of him to block the first defender. Unfortunately, that TE had questionable ability to execute a basic block downfield. If the same thing were to happen again I would want Keenum to throw it to McKinnon every time.

While I am not going to try too hard to convince anyone, I will give you the courtesy of letting you know that such crazy talk is costing you credibility in my mind and the mind of many others. And yes, I know that you don't care.

15 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Suggestions that the Vikings might be getting more out of one of the other QBs on the roster are completely outlandish. It is very clear that Case Keenum gives the team the best chance to win right now. He is making far more plays than any QB that Vikings have had in years.

Where did anyone comment on another QB on the roster would be performing better right now. What I've read is people pointing out room for improvement by Keenum without mentioning other QBs.

Yes there was a time earlier in the year when Keenum was playing mediocre and people thought Teddy might be able to provide more for the offense. But since then Keenum has improved his play and proven that he deserves to be the starter over Teddy at this point. No one is arguing that. People are just pointing out ways that Keenum could improve which is perfectly reasonable.

5 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

my goodness, where did this voice of reason come from...? ¬¬

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Viking said:

People are just pointing out ways that Keenum could improve which is perfectly reasonable.

If only that were true. However, that is not all that is being pointed out. I agree the Case Keenum can improve. That is true of everyone.

49 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

In this very thread.

I just went back through and read every post on this thread since the game ended, I saw 1 poster say they couldn't help but wonder how Teddy might be performing in this system but that was it. So to me it seems like you are trying to start an argument that isn't there for whatever reason.

8 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Downside of long drives, rather than quick scores is missing out on TDs and settling for FGs. However, the Vikes are 10th in points scored and having longer drives that move the chains helps the defense and field position. If the offense is looking for an area to improve, one can certainly look at missed TDs as one area. Just makes it harder for any team if they are chasing 7 vs 3 against this defense.

Not every drive ends in TDs, so the TOP and field position gains are important considerations.  Drive down the field, miss converting a 3rd down, punt deep into the opponents territory, stop them, get the ball back on their punt.  Drive down a shorter field and score a TD or FG. 

'Quick strikes' sell tickets.  'Long, methodical, less-risky-play drives yield scores and TOP control.

59 minutes ago, Buffalo Viking said:

Where did anyone comment on another QB on the roster would be performing better right now. What I've read is people pointing out room for improvement by Keenum without mentioning other QBs.

Yes there was a time earlier in the year when Keenum was playing mediocre and people thought Teddy might be able to provide more for the offense. But since then Keenum has improved his play and proven that he deserves to be the starter over Teddy at this point. No one is arguing that. People are just pointing out ways that Keenum could improve which is perfectly reasonable.

No one made such a bold claim recently.  But it might be implied from the continued nitpicking AND prior posting history to that effect.  

The reasonableness of nitpicking is open to debate, depending on each person reading it, and the projected impact on the game outcome.

45 minutes ago, Buffalo Viking said:

I just went back through and read every post on this thread since the game ended, I saw 1 poster say they couldn't help but wonder how Teddy might be performing in this system but that was it. So to me it seems like you are trying to start an argument that isn't there for whatever reason.

First off, I am not trying to start an argument. I am stating my opinion.

What I actually said: "Suggestions that the Vikings might be getting more out of one of the other QBs on the roster are completely outlandish."

In response to a statement in this thread that Case was the best QB on the roster: "I think we're naturally curious/apprehensive that this may not be the case."

Further, also said in this thread: "This certainly seems to be the truth, but given my personal apprehension regarding Keenum I cant help but wonder if Teddy wouldn't offer at least the same output if not better, the nerves not withstanding."

I stand by my claim that there were suggestions made that the Vikings might be getting more out of one of the other QBs on the roster.

Like I said, I don't care enough to argue about Case's superiority much, but those are non-ambiguous statements in this thread that make clear that I am not just trying to start an argument that is not there. I am not going to try and convince anyone that I am right about Case being the best QB on the roster. I am just saying that I think he is and I think it is absurd to suggest otherwise. I am not going to argue about that opinion because it is just opinion. It is not possible to prove right/wrong of an opinion so I am not going to exhaust myself arguing to a side that is already dug in. 

However, I will argue against a claim that nobody ever made a suggestion that the Vikings might be getting more out of one of the other QBs on the roster. I will argue about that because it is very easy to demonstrate the accuracy of my statement.  This is not my opinion but an easily verifiable fact.

54 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

No one made such a bold claim recently.  But it might be implied from the continued nitpicking AND prior posting history to that effect.  

The reasonableness of nitpicking is open to debate, depending on each person reading it, and the projected impact on the game outcome.

While I agree with you that it is strongly implied from the continued nitpicking, I have to disagree that nobody made such a bold claim. Someone did within the last 24 hours in this very thread.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

I don't know where anyone in this thread said another QB would be outplaying Keenum...

Neither do I. However, suggestions were made that the Vikings might be getting more out of another QB on the roster. See my reply to Mr. Buffalo Viking.

18 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

However, I will argue against a claim that nobody ever made a suggestion that the Vikings might be getting more out of one of the other QBs on the roster. I will argue about that because it is very easy to demonstrate the accuracy of my statement.  This is not my opinion but an easily verifiable fact.

did more than one person make the claim? you would still be correct, i was just wondering if there are several who have. or even a few.

it's obvious a very high majority of fans in here are supportive of Keenum continuing to be the #1 qb.

So one vague hypothetical post is enough to throw words like absurd and outlandish around, but the hyperbolic description of a single play where some posters were critical of Keenum is not absurd or outlandish?

I for one am very interested in learning more about the apparent incompetence of one Kyle Carter.

Archived