Week 15: Bengals (5-8) at VIKINGS (10-3)

swede700

1 minute ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Only a dominating victory leads to a 2-3 page argument over "What wide open receiver the quarterback should have thrown the ball to for a big play when the game is already over."

Almost as pointless as the discussions of why the offense was so conservative once we went up by 4 touchdowns.

I was unable to see the game yesterday.  My question is, did "not seeing" Carter open deep cost the Vikings points?  Did they ultimately score on that drive??

The scored a TD on the drive. Again, that is entirely irrelevant to the point of the conversation.

It will be super pointless when the Vikings are one and done in the playoffs because this problem manifests itself when the stakes are higher and the margin for error is more error. 

Moderators calling actual football discussion of a play from the game being discussed in the game day thread pointless... Never thought I would see the day.

8 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Moderators calling actual football discussion of a play from the game being discussed in the game day thread pointless... Never thought I would see the day.

So I'm not allowed to have an opinion because I'm a moderator?

My opinion is that the discussion is pointless. I never said you cannot have this discussion. I just don't see the point in microanalyzing a decision a QB made when the team was up big and the play didn't negatively affect the outcome of the game in any way.

Forcing the ball downfield does not automatically make someone a better quarterback. Taking the safer option does not make someone a worse quarterback.

I'm here to tell the world that Tom Brady is a statistical dwarf among the long and storied history of NFL quarterbacks. As a passer, Brady's entire career has him ranked very probably in the bottom 95 percent of all NFL passers when calculating his Yards Per Completion minus the Yards After the Catch his receivers provide to the equation.

Brady throws a shorter pass, on average than 95 percent of the QB's who ever played the game.
-

Brady couldn't drive his team down the field to beat the New York Giants in the final minute in 2007. He lofted three bombs that fell to the turf when that game was on the line. 

Brady couldn't drive his team down the field to beat the Denver Broncos in the playoffs in 2005. He threw three critical picks when he had to throw it down field. 

You see, Tom Brady is a prolific dink-dank-dunk pocket passer. He is an underachiever outside of the pocket. His success has been derived from his necessity of getting rid of the ball quickly, before the pass rush can get to him. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/227149-tom-brady-is-not-great-he-is-simply-over-rated

46 minutes ago, Klomp said:

So I'm not allowed to have an opinion because I'm a moderator?

My opinion is that the discussion is pointless. I never said you cannot have this discussion. I just don't see the point in microanalyzing a decision a QB made when the team was up big and the play didn't negatively affect the outcome of the game in any way.

Didn't say you weren't allowed to have an opinion. Suggesting that a pretty even tempered football discussion is pointless sort of discourages football conversations. Ya know, like the ones we are constantly reminded to stick to?

Edit: if you think that this discussion is a microanalysis of a single play, then I can't imagine that you have been following along very closely.

1 hour ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I guess you need something to talk about....

If the only complaint after the game was that our QB went to the wrong WIDE WIDE open receiver, then you know our team had a pretty successful game.     Kinda like if I were to clean the entire house up and down, but when I was done, I forgot to put my shoes away and that's the one thing the wife notices.  

1 minute ago, Freakish Mind said:

If the only complaint after the game was that our QB went to the wrong WIDE WIDE open receiver, then you know our team had a pretty successful game.     Kinda like if I were to clean the entire house up and down, but when I was done, I forgot to put my shoes away and that's the one thing the wife notices.  

coming from personal experience?

Try the ole "Next time, Ill let you clean up the house" line.

I hear it work's really well.

51 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Forcing the ball downfield does not automatically make someone a better quarterback. Taking the safer option does not make someone a worse quarterback.

I'm here to tell the world that Tom Brady is a statistical dwarf among the long and storied history of NFL quarterbacks. As a passer, Brady's entire career has him ranked very probably in the bottom 95 percent of all NFL passers when calculating his Yards Per Completion minus the Yards After the Catch his receivers provide to the equation.

Brady throws a shorter pass, on average than 95 percent of the QB's who ever played the game.
-

Brady couldn't drive his team down the field to beat the New York Giants in the final minute in 2007. He lofted three bombs that fell to the turf when that game was on the line. 

Brady couldn't drive his team down the field to beat the Denver Broncos in the playoffs in 2005. He threw three critical picks when he had to throw it down field. 

You see, Tom Brady is a prolific dink-dank-dunk pocket passer. He is an underachiever outside of the pocket. His success has been derived from his necessity of getting rid of the ball quickly, before the pass rush can get to him. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/227149-tom-brady-is-not-great-he-is-simply-over-rated

We’re not talking about Keenum as a deep ball passer, we’re not asking him to be a prolific vertical passer, we’re not asking him to drop the ball perfectly over a receiver’s shoulder as he’s running down field. 

What we’re talking about are failures to see, or recognize, receivers who are running freely 10-15 yards wide open. Whether it’s coming on post routes, double moves, or lapses in coverage, it’s become frustrating to see guys running with no defender in their vicinity and not once have the ball go in their direction. 

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

I just don't see the point in microanalyzing a decision a QB made when the team was up big and the play didn't negatively affect the outcome of the game in any way.

What about the misses of Thielen and Diggs in the first half of a tightly contested game against Atlanta? What about failing to see Diggs wide open against Carolina, instead throwing into double coverage and the result being an interception? Or missing Thielen open on a post later in the same game while the team is behind? 

You can call it microanalyzing, but some of us call it a trend. A trend that has, and could cost the team again against the quality of opponent that we’ll be facing in the playoffs. 

Archived