Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

5 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

I believe there salary cap only allows 36 million figure the rookie signings they would only have 24 million clevealnd would be able to offer  almost 70 million more over the life of the contract.

If they were to cut Bortles (unlikely, but yet if they sign Cousin they probably do), they'd save $19.5 million. 

12 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I'm not sure where I would rank Chubb (DE) Minkah, or Barkley???

I think I would be thrilled with any of them with our 2nd first rounder.

Positional value would likely be the determining fatctor for me right now.

If you view Minkah as a top tier CORNER I'd rank them Minkah, Chubb, Barkley.

If you view him as a FS, which most do, Chubb, Minkah, Barkley.

Landry is super overrated IMO, he is down right soft against the run to the point that BC benched him on run downs. All he is is a bona fide 3rd down rusher, Lewis has good technique and pretty decent movement but not a super athlete IMO, good but not great in the run and pass game.

I also believe in Derwin James

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Positional value would likely be the determining fatctor for me right now.

If you view Minkah as a top tier CORNER I'd rank them Minkah, Chubb, Barkley.

If you view him as a FS, which most do, Chubb, Minkah, Barkley.

I like Minkah a lot, but I still see him as a free safety. If we're drafting a CB that high, it had better be Denzel Ward. Minkah, at best, would be a nice slot/#3 CB from what I've seen.

I've seen Minkah swing the momentum of games. I have not seen Chubb do that. I have seen Minkah put an end to games. I have not seen Chubb do that. I have seen Minkah eliminate his area of the field for entire games. I have not seen Chubb do that. If he were in the draft last year he would have been the 4th rated DE. Garrett, Thomas and Barnett were all better than Chubb without question. 

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I like Minkah a lot, but I still see him as a free safety. If we're drafting a CB that high, it had better be Denzel Ward. Minkah, at best, would be a nice slot/#3 CB from what I've seen.

Some people may value length and versatility more, if they view them as close enough, they may view Minkah as more valuable.

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If they were to cut Bortles (unlikely, but yet if they sign Cousin they probably do), they'd save $19.5 million. 

Thats a thought you maybe right but if I am guessing the browns trade one of there draft picks for the biggest hall of draft picks in the history.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Denzel Ward Top 5? I don't know what the stats say but watching the Buckeyes this year we clearly had one of the worst pass defenses in the entire Nation among the power 5 teams. Not that good players don't come from bad teams but that is higher than Apple, Lattimore, Conely and FS from last year(having and old brain moment) and they were far superior players IMO.

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Some people may value length and versatility more, if they view them as close enough, they may view Minkah as more valuable.

Minkah and Ward on not even on the same planet as players. No measurement of any kind is going to change that

15 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

Denzel Ward Top 5? I don't know what the stats say but watching the Buckeyes this year we clearly had one of the worst pass defenses in the entire Nation among the power 5 teams. Not that good players don't come from bad teams but that is higher than Apple, Lattimore, Conely and FS from last year(having and old brain moment) and they were far superior players IMO.

well ill respectfully disagree, I watched every snap, Ward was outstanding in coverage. Now the other guys were horrible, Sheffield was bad all year and Arnette got a little better but Ward was in a league of his own, I'm not sure what you saw but I saw a guy who was locked in and was up for pretty much any challenge. Now top 5, I agree may be a little high, but that's only because of his size, if he were 6-0, he would easily be top 5, especially with what he's going to run in his 40.

The difference between the two is that Ward is elite at one thing, which is man coverage, Minkah is  really really good at multiple things.

6 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

Denzel Ward Top 5?

I didn't say/mean that I'd draft Ward top high, but rather he's a much better CB option than Fitzpatrick, which is my point. Playing Fitzpatrick as a CB would be akin to taking one of the best box players in the nation and a natural WLB/SS and playing him 25+ yards off the ball...you know, what we're doing with Jabril Peppers.

I don't know what the stats say but watching the Buckeyes this year we clearly had one of the worst pass defenses in the entire Nation among the power 5 teams.

Ward is a lockdown true press-man coverage corner with elite technique, good make-up speed, and great hip flexibility. He's a 1st Round LOCK.

Not that good players don't come from bad teams but that is higher than Apple, Lattimore, Conely and FS from last year(having and old brain moment) and they were far superior players IMO.

I'd take Ward WAY over Apple and I personally like him more than Conley. Lattimore IMO is the best CB to come out of OSU in a LONG time. As for Hooker (FS), I loved him last year and he was the best ball hawking safety I've ever seen at OSU.

However, you just added to my point that if you want a good CB/DB in general, it's hard to pass up on an OSU guy. There's a clear precedent. 

I am not even going to argue Fitzpatrick as a CB because that is not where he should be playing I agree with you there 100% it would be Peppers/Wimbley/Veikune/Mingo all over again. I didn't realize you meant if both of them were CB but again that is just a silly thought as if you are taking Minkah it is to be a safety. If you are picking between Minkah and Ward playing in there best position is still a blow out victory for Minkah, that is what I am arguing and that won't change.

Archived