Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Trade back from 1 to 3. Get a king’s ransom from the Colts, who will want to jump the Giants for the best QB. Far be it for me to wish Hue upon Darnold. I like the kid too much for that. Go get Minkah/Chubb or Barkley/Chubb it Barkley/Minkah. And have more picks including a 2019 extra 1st. I really want Darnold but what’s the point when Hue is still the guy tutoring him? 

If the colts are doing that, the trade better involve Luck

I post this...

33 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

The Question: Can we trust Hue and David Lee to coach up and develop a QB we draft high?

Answer: Let's look at Hue's history up until present. We could go off of gut and popular sentiment or take a look at the record of judgments, behaviors, and coaching that influence QBs when it comes to Hue Jackson.

A short history of Hue's QB coaching.

1. Jake Plummer Arizona State (1995): Jake credits Hue for helping rain in his wild style, improving his mechanics, and growing intellectually at understanding defenses. Made suh an impact on Hue that 22 years later Jake went to the AD in Arizona State this year to suggest Hue be hired ASU if he was fired despite a losing NFL record. "He did a lot for my advancement and evolution as a quarterback," Jake had an up and down career but played some great QB play later in his career. Was thrown to the wolves on the Cardinals with no help and was horrendous from a statistical standpoint. Most believe he had little arm talent but his talents were maximized from a coaching perspective.

With Hue his Junior year, had 17 TDs to 9 INTs but took a serious jump his senior year based on progression in mechanics to finish with 23 TDs to 9 INTs the next year.

2. Pat Barnes, California (1996): Under Hue he went from a marginal season to one of the better in all of college football.

• Pre-Hue 1995: 197/362 for 2,685 yards with 17 TD vs 11 INT.
  • With Hue 1996: 250/420 for 3,499 yards with 31 TD vs 8 INT.

Credited Hue as "making me believe I could get to the next level" and "opening my mind to how to really play in the WC offense."

Had a serious XFL career but did not have the physical characteristics the nfl desired then and despite being name 2nd team all american at QB only behind interestingly Jake Plummer.

3. Carson Palmer, USC (1997-2000): Contrary to popular belief and recency bias where Palmer became the prototypical pro passing prospect, Palmer was an unrefined piece of clay who had to be built from the feet up when arriving at USC. He was so bad that they decided to start a Joe Bauserman type QB named John Fox before handing the position to a raw inaccurate, turnover prone freshman. Carson Palmer credited Hue as being "the Best QB coach I ever had" even though the 2 didn't reunite in the pros until much later. The perfect throwing motion and efficient feet in the pocket Palmer had his final year at USC that made him the top pick.

4. From 2001 to 2007, Hue spent time as RBs coach, Offensive Coordiantor, and Wide receivers coach for various team.

5. Ravens- 2008-2009, Joe Flacco. Until in 2008, he became the QB coach for the Ravens and Joe Flacco. The coaching job Hue did with Flacco was regarded as one of the finest coaching jobs of a rookie QB w/ Ozzie Newsome deeming Hue "teaching worth its weight in gold" and John Harbaugh calling Hue's hire "...a game changer." Harbaugh went on to say "Nobody has more knowledge or has had more success with developing rookie quarterbacks than Hue Jackson has had as a coach. We have seen it firsthand." Flacco would say " He allows you to go out there and play fast, and free, and wants you to go out there and play with emotion and let it all go. I think that his coaching style and his offensive philosophy allows the quarterback to do that." Flacco said under Hue he was able to get over mental hurdles he had coming out of Delaware. Flacco had a lot of confidence, work habit issues (documented as always showing up late until Hue instilled a stringent regimen), and mechanical footwork issues coming out of Delaware. The improvement from year 1 to year 2 led Flacco to an unexpected good rookie year, but a really great follow up second year that is statistically one of Joe Flacco's better careers in his entire career.

6. The Ravens coaching Job earned Hue a shot at offensive coordinator with the raiders as one of the up and coming offensive minds in football. His work as a coordinator earned him a HC job in Oakland for one year in which an undermanned team with Owner/Personnel issues started off fast but due to injury of QBs faultered to 8-8 missing the playoffs. Jason Campbell was headed for a career year statistically before injury and Hue made a trade for Carson Palmer that may have worked out had the whole thing not been blown up (i.e., Carson had many good years left in Arizona after that). Amy Trask and other football execs in Oakland speak unflinchingly positive of Hue's  time there as OC and developer of talent. Al Davis died, Hue was fired.

7. Hue doesn't resurface as a QB coach and OC until 2012/2013 with the Bengals/Andy Dalton. There he does what is thought to be one of the finer jobs maximizing talent by working with Andy Dalton first as QB Coach and OC to help Dalton have a career and what some though was an MVP type season until Dalton gets injured at the end of the season, AJ Mccaron starts, and a series of terrible penalties on the Bengals capsized their season. Without Hue, the entire Bengals operation unraveled last year and his mark was so strong on the organization that fans, ownership alike entertained the possibility of bringing him back there despite his historic role in losing for the Browns.

8. Browns 2016: Hue is hired as HC and hires Pep Hamilton as QB coach. Hue wants Goff (eval correct) and likes Wentz, but relents to the Money Ball trade down that the personnel execs wanted in the first place. Fair compromise ensues and Hue in 1st year coach speak encouragement of the players acquired says "Trust me" when the media and whole football world acts as if Cody Kessler shouldn't even be in the league. Cody plays well despite trash around him and his personal deficiencies. Hue yanks Cody in a game causing the media and fans to think he's ruining the QBs confidence.

9. Browns 2017: Hue wanted Trubisky, Mahomes, and texted Deshaun Watson "to be ready" according to Watson...Hue denied it. He ends up with Kizer and puts all of the offense on his plate to test Kizer's limits early in the season to the fans and media appall. Hue sick of losing makes short sighted judgments that are compounded by  numerous inexplicable turnovers and inaccuracies by Kizer. He yanks Kizer repeatedly because the QB keeps making the same turnover mistakes on back to back plays. Media and fans say he's destroying the QB because QBs are tempermental creatures that don't deserve to sit when they make mistakes even though every other position on the team suffers that fate when they underperform. Most believe now Hue is the worst QB coach/OC in NFL history, shouldn't be anywhere near Cleveland and has to be fired.

-----------------------------------------------------

This is the response....

26 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I could care less what hue did prior to the browns. He has shown zero ability to coach a QB. If he truly wanted Goff he should of fault for him. Remember he told us to trust him about Kessler. If he was all about every other QB besides Kizer, again he should of fault for a QB. The most important marriage in the NFL is the coach and QB. Huebris basically told us that whatever QB he was given he would fix or develop. If Kizer wasn’t his guy, he should of rode with Brock because he was the vet. Dude tried to turn McCownn into a coach instead of using him as a QB and McCown goes out and has a darn good season. 

Hue can go pound salt. 

I'm an idiot for not remembering what this forum does to me...

8 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I post this...

This is the response....

I'm an idiot for not remembering what this forum does to me...

Sorry I did t drool over you reciting Hues resume. It looks amazing but you compare it to what we have witnessed the past two years, Huebris is garbage. We have seen hue coach McCown, Kessler, Hogan, Brock, and Kizer and none of them showed improvement. Hell Kessler and Hogan have regressed. McCown looked legit when he went to the jets who were suppose to be tanking. Huebris greatly mishandled Kizer, dude had no idea how to handle him. 

Archived