Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

thank you. i'll add that i don't expect a lot of haggling going on with the two camps, as both have vested interests in knowing what their futures are so they can plan accordingly. neither benefit from drawing it out over time.

each will draw a financial line they won't cross and if they aren't close enough to each other, then so be it.

I disagree on the part where “no one benefits from drawing it out over time”. The Cousins camp benefit from drawing it out. There’s going to be a price Vikings would be willing to do, a price that other teams would be willing to do (initially), and a price the Cousins camp want.

Delaying the time for “reengagement” of talks between Vikings & Cousins camp, would be a pro-benefit to the Cousins camp, positioning that as Cousins staying on his aggressive rehab plan or something similar. Simply trying to run out the clock, while not fully providing the full preferred contract to Minny is a viable game plan for the Kirk camp, in an effort to keep everyone at the table for as long as possible. Parameters will likely be discussed with 2-3 other teams as earliest around senior bowl and no later then the combine. 

The Cousins’ camp benefit from talking to everyone else (other teams and media) now, hope being ready for OTA, new innovate stem cell rehab techniques, videos him him throwing bombs soon etc

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

In order to draw it out over time, you have to have two sides willing to draw it out over time. There’s no indication that either party wants that or that either party would allow the other to do that. If the Vikings and Cousins don’t have a deal in place by the start of free agency, Kirk is gone. And that’s fine. 

There’s almost certainly a drop dead date for the Vikings so they can know what they’re working with for a free agency budget. They also likely have a price that they’re willing to pay for Cousins, and if he’s far above that mark, they’ll let him walk.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

In order to draw it out over time, you have to have two sides willing to draw it out over time. There’s no indication that either party wants that or that either party would allow the other to do that. If the Vikings and Cousins don’t have a deal in place by the start of free agency, Kirk is gone. And that’s fine. 

There’s almost certainly a drop dead date for the Vikings so they can know what they’re working with for a free agency budget. They also likely have a price that they’re willing to pay for Cousins, and if he’s far above that mark, they’ll let him walk.  

If the Cousins camp was interested in a quick resolution one way or another (with the Vikings), the Cousins camp would have given their contract terms to KAM already. They likely want to delay that conversation as long as possible as that theoretically increases Cousins camp leverage. If you have that conversion too early, and it’s “high contract Cousins camp want, and KAM not interested, then there would be some internal interests for Vikings to ‘put out’ something along the lines of “Vikings will be moving on from Kirk Cousins”. That hurts Cousins in negotiating with other teams, so their best play is just delay as long as possible

Edited by CriminalMind

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

I disagree on the part where “no one benefits from drawing it out over time”. The Cousins camp benefit from drawing it out.

sorry, but that's likely to be a poorly effective tactic.

KAM isn't going to be led by "what Kirk wants and when he wants it." after a certain point, he would just announce talks are going nowhere and the team needs to move on.

how does that benefit Kirk?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

sorry, but that's likely to be a poorly effective tactic.

KAM isn't going to be led by "what Kirk wants and when he wants it." after a certain point, he would just announce talks are going nowhere and the team needs to move on.

how does that benefit Kirk?

In an ideal circumstance KAM gives the Cousins camp a hard deadline, of lets say February 15th to reach an extension or we move on 100%. But I’m not sure if KAM says that or even if he has the authority to do that, or does he need final confirmation from above. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

In an ideal circumstance KAM gives the Cousins camp a hard deadline, of lets say February 15th to reach an extension or we move on 100%. But I’m not sure if KAM says that or even if he has the authority to do that, or does he need final confirmation from above. 

If he doesn’t have authority, what’s the point of his GM title/position?

I understand the Wilf’s are heavily involved in alot of the football decisions, but it’s time to let KAM cook, as they say.  

The status quo hasn’t worked. It would be foolish to think differently.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

If he doesn’t have authority, what’s the point of his GM title/position?

I understand the Wilf’s are heavily involved in alot of the football decisions, but it’s time to let KAM cook, as they say.  

The status quo hasn’t worked. It would be foolish to think differently.

I always thought the Wilfs weren’t heavily involved and stayed away. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I always thought the Wilfs weren’t heavily involved and stayed away. 

Supposedly Harbough was KAMs pick for HC, but Wilfs/etc said no. Wilfs also don’t want to tank and that’s a directive that ppl connected to the team have said for years. To me that’s involvement.

37 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Supposedly Harbough was KAMs pick for HC, but Wilfs/etc said no. Wilfs also don’t want to tank and that’s a directive that ppl connected to the team have said for years. To me that’s involvement.

If I owned the team I would have nixed Harbaugh. He has left chaos in his wake wherever he's been.  Also, he seems to always to be looking to move to the next job.  This doesn't mean that the Wilfs did this.

As to a "do not tank" directive...that's NOT being a meddlesome owner. Rather that's setting expectations for the GM and coaching staff.  That's articulating a philosophy for their employees to work from.  It doesn't mean they are micro managing how the philosophy becomes active decisions.

Some on this board may think that's dumb or meddlesome. Ask your employer what they think! It's how business operates in a healthy way. 

I think there’s a general misconception on the hiring process and hierarchy within an NFL front office. It’s very rare for head coaches to answer to the GM. They both answer to ownership. They are two sides of the same coin tasked with building a winning football team. 

Harbaugh was on KAM's short-list...from his time in SF, which is why he was brought in.  Like everything with this organization, however, it had to be a consensus...and Harbaugh didn't pass the consensus test. 

As far as Cousins benefiting by "drawing it out", I'm not sure that's necessarily the case considering he's coming off an injury.  Once Kirk's contract voids, I believe he has to pay for all rehab himself, that the Vikings would be off the hook for any other medical bills after that (although I'm not sure how that all works).  I think it's in his best interest to get it resolved sooner rather than later.

• Like 1