Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

23 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Should they write him a blank check? 

I didn't suggest that, and as far as I know, neither did Kirk.

I do think the team should do whatever is necessary to ensure the stability of the QB situation though.

If Kwesi plays hardball causing Kirk to leave, and we don't get a (good) QB in the draft, it likely means that KAM and KOC are out of a job. What good does that do for us?

13 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I do think the team should do whatever is necessary to ensure the stability of the QB situation though.

I think they need to do whatever is necessary to ensure the QB position is stable for the future, not just 2024.  I think people are far less patient than the Wilfs' are...I don't think KAM's or KOC's jobs are anywhere near being vulnerable yet. 

The reality is that Kirk is going to be 36 years old in August...others have said in the past here that they'd rather let a player go a year early than a year late because they got tired of the APs, Dalvin, Barr, Kendricks, et al, staying too long and the franchise being unwilling to move on until it's too late.  I'm certainly still on board bringing him back, but not to take him beyond his age 37 season, which is, by general rule of thumb, the point where most non-HoF level QBs fall off.  If he wants security beyond that, see ya later...and to me, it doesn't matter than what QB is behind center in 2024, because once again, 2025 will be the key year...because the result of that season will be when KAM will come under more scrutiny (not necessarily the amount of wins, but moreso the direction)...that's what they've been planning the last 2 years for. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

If Kwesi plays hardball causing Kirk to leave, and we don't get a (good) QB in the draft, it likely means that KAM and KOC are out of a job. What good does that do for us?

no, it doesn't mean they are out of a job, that's excessive emotionalizing the situation. one could equally counter they'd be out of a job if they put us back in cap hell and we have a very highly paid qb and get 6-8 wins a year (at best!) because other positions cannot be prioritized.

scrutinizing Cousin's performance value versus his cost value is just basic business, and even though they no longer take my calls and will speak with me, i am sure the Wilfs understand that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

no, it doesn't mean they are out of a job, that's excessive emotionalizing the situation. one could equally counter they'd be out of a job if they put us back in cap hell and we have a very highly paid qb and get 6-8 wins a year (at best!) because other positions cannot be prioritized.

scrutinizing Cousin's performance value versus his cost value is just basic business, and even though they no longer take my calls and will speak with me, i am sure the Wilfs understand that.

I think we just figured out what the problem is with the Vikings' front office! 

• Like 1

A few weeks ago, we ranked the top 50 free agents available. (Players can be re-signed or franchise-tagged before reaching the open market in March.) Turning the page forward, we took that list of 50 stars and picked the best team fit for each. Which landing spots make the most sense?

3. Kirk Cousins, QB

Best team fit: Atlanta Falcons

The Vikings should be in the mix to re-sign Cousins, but I think he fits really well with Atlanta under new offensive coordinator Zac Robinson (who worked under Sean McVay in Los Angeles). It works well for Cousins in both the play-action and dropback passing game. Before tearing his right Achilles in Week 8, Cousins was completing 69.5% of his throws and had 18 touchdown passes to five interceptions. He would be an upgrade under center for an Atlanta offense that has plenty of young offensive skill talent in Drake London, Kyle Pitts and Bijan Robinson.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39531864/2024-nfl-free-agency-best-team-fits-ranking-top-50-players-available-offseason

• Like 1

These are the top 20 quarterbacks of the 2023 season by PFF grade.

9. KIRK COUSINS, MINNESOTA VIKINGS: 86.1

Despite going down in Week 8 with an injury, Cousins was off to one of the best starts to a season of his career. His 85.1 passing grade through Week 8 was the fifth-highest mark in the league, and he also threw 18 touchdowns — tied for most in the NFL at the time.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest-graded-quarterbacks-2023-nfl-season

7 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

If Kirk is gone...which seems likely...there is little chance the Vikings will see similar production from the QB position next season and perhaps more.  

I agree that there is little chance, but it might just be the chance worth taking.  I hate to beat a dead horse, but in 2017 (the same year that they drafted Mahomes), Alex Smith was #7 on their rankings, behind Brady, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Brees, Wentz and Russ.

On a side note, Keenum was #9 and Kirk (soon to be signed by the Vikings) was #20.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I agree that there is little chance, but it might just be the chance worth taking.  I hate to beat a dead horse, but in 2017 (the same year that they drafted Mahomes), Alex Smith was #7 on their rankings, behind Brady, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Brees, Wentz and Russ.

On a side note, Keenum was #9 and Kirk (soon to be signed by the Vikings) was #20.

Kirk's first couple of seasons with the Vikings were spotty in my opinion, and I felt strongly that the team should have kept Keenum or Teddy on the roster.  However, I have now grown accustomed to Kirk's production, leadership and grit the last three seasons. We got spoiled by his consistently top 10 play! 

The Vikings, however, have to now look to the future. Unless he's willing to sign a team/cap friendly deal, then he won't be the QB for the Vikes next season. It's just the reality of business, free agency, and Kirk's age and injury all indicate the team is going in another direction. 

So, whoever plays next season, a rookie...a bridge...or, God forbid...Nick Mullens...the offense needs to get more production from the run game.  I don't want ANY non-Cousins QB to be attempting 40 or 50 passes a game.  The loss of Cousins is an opportunity for the running backs.  I am interested to see how O'Connell adjusts.  I have not been impressed with how he has used the running game thus far.

18 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I have not been impressed with how he has used the running game thus far.

I'm not really either, but I'm confused as to whether that's more his fault or Modkins.  I know he's ultimately responsible, but I think Modkins has escaped a lot of criticism and KOC has reinforced that criticism by keeping him. 

Modkins has managed to get 1000 yd years out of Reggie Bush (in Det), Jordan Howard (in Chi) and Phillip Lindsay and nearly that from Melvin Gordon and Javonte Williams (both actually had 900+ in 2021), but he hasn't duplicated that success really here in MN. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

When Kirk was originally signed by Vikings, the Vikings team (outside of QB) was ready to win. But Kirk wasn’t at the top of his game yet. So we didn’t go far.

Now, Kirk might be close to the top of his game still, but the Vikings team overall is not ready to win. So we’re likely to not go far. 

19 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

When Kirk was originally signed by Vikings, the Vikings team (outside of QB) was ready to win. But Kirk wasn’t at the top of his game yet. So we didn’t go far.

Now, Kirk might be close to the top of his game still, but the Vikings team overall is not ready to win. So we’re likely to not go far. 

Also, his coach had no interest in passing the ball when Kirk first came. 

With so much on the horizon, let’s run through the top NFL free agents and make one prediction for each club.

Atlanta Falcons | Sign QB Kirk Cousins

While Kirk Cousins is 36 and coming off a torn Achilles, he should still be able to land between $30 million and $40 million annually on the open market. He could re-sign with the Minnesota Vikings, but they cannot franchise-tag him this offseason. Cousins will hit the open market, and the Falcons stand out as an obvious suitor.

New Atlanta OC Zac Robinson comes from the Los Angeles Rams and will run a Sean McVay-inspired scheme that Cousins is already intimately familiar with, thanks to his time with Vikings head coach (and former Rams staffer) Kevin O’Connell.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2024-nfl-free-agency-predictions/

• Like 1

I wonder how hard it is for him to refer to them in the sort of third-person now.  I know I've worked places for a long-time and it was so hard to no longer say "we"...and I never worked for one as long as he did.