Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

Florio: "We can’t get into the specifics, for now. But we’re getting very credible indications that Cousins is seriously considering moving his family to Atlanta. Which would mean, obviously, that he’d be signing with the Falcons. The Falcons have always been the top alternative to the Vikings for Cousins, who becomes an unrestricted free agent next Wednesday. And for good reason. His wife, Julie, grew up in nearby Alpharetta, Georgia. Her parents still live there."

"The Vikings have, by all appearances, decided they want to keep Cousins, but only at their price. They seem to think he won’t get a better offer elsewhere. If he does, they seem to be content to let him go."

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/indications-are-building-of-potential-kirk-cousins-move-to-atlanta

Florio's not as bad as Charley Waters, but he's not a whole lot better.

If history is a reliable guide, Kirk Cousins is down to his final days as the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback.

It's not difficult to connect the dots of conventional wisdom at this point, and the only realistic factor to the contrary is the possibility -- however remote it might be -- that Cousins will make the type of decision he has never made before.

The first dot is in the renegotiated contract Cousins signed last spring, one that voids March 13.

But the second dot emerged during last week's NFL scouting combine. According to ESPN's Dan Graziano, and many others, the Atlanta Falcons have made Cousins their top target if he reaches the open market. The Falcons, of course, can't formally sign him until after the deal voids.

That brings us to the third dot to connect. At every step of his career, Cousins has made the decision to maximize -- or nearly maximize -- his contractual return.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39658429/why-kirk-cousins-likely-done-minnesota-vikings-free-agent-atlanta-falcons

15 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I have to admit, Kirk plays the game of maximizing his value in FA better than anyone!  Good for him! Not as great for Minnesota presenting both challenges and new hope. 

This has been a pretty exciting off season, and nothing has really happened yet.  I am expecting a lot of dominoes to begin falling next week.  Whatever happens the Vikings will likely look different this coming season.

• Like 4

I really hope we get Kirk back, but if we don’t I really hope we get Wilson. Super Bowl winner for literally nothing? Let him play for a year of half a year, then let the rookie take over.

yeah Wilson is a headcase but so is Kirk. 

13 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I really hope we get Kirk back, but if we don’t I really hope we get Wilson. Super Bowl winner for literally nothing? Let him play for a year of half a year, then let the rookie take over.

yeah Wilson is a headcase but so is Kirk. 

I wouldn’t put a highly drafted rookie behind Wilson, if your bringing in Wilson for one year only. You bring in a stop gap (quasi backup), who knows his role. You don’t bring in an external QB who has earned $35M or so per season before, and failed on his previous team

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I wouldn’t put a highly drafted rookie behind Wilson, if you’re bringing in Wilson for one year only. You bring in a stop gap (quasi backup), who knows his role. You don’t bring in an external QB who has earned $35M or so per season before, and failed on his previous team

If Wilson signs, I’m sure he would know his role. I’m sure that would be a discussion before he signed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Worm Guts said:

If Wilson signs, I’m sure he would know his role. I’m sure that would be a discussion before he signed.

Wilson is not signing to be a one year QB if the team is investing a high first rounder in the draft. Wilson could sit one year, and come back the following year if not offered a good situation (he deems good enough).

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Wilson is not signing to be a one year QB if the team is investing a high first rounder in the draft. Wilson could sit one year, and come back the following year if not offered a good situation (he deems good enough).

I don’t know about all that. He’ll take the best situation he’s offered. I can’t imagine him sitting out a year.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

I have to admit, Kirk plays the game of maximizing his value in FA better than anyone!  Good for him! Not as great for Minnesota presenting both challenges and new hope. 

This has been a pretty exciting off season, and nothing has really happened yet.  I am expecting a lot of dominoes to begin falling next week.  Whatever happens the Vikings will likely look different this coming season.

March 11th, can’t wait.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Worm Guts said:

I don’t know about all that. He’ll take the best situation he’s offered. I can’t imagine him sitting out a year.

Agreed. Takes a one year deal in an ideal situation and show cases his value. If he has a good season, he signs for a decent pay day. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Are you friends with Wilson? How do you know his plan?

The likelihood is that Wilson only receives 1 year offers. Teams aren't blind, they have all seen his play drop off and while the toxic situation with Payton may have played a role there is no doubt Wilson has to repair his image and game. Wilson is only a few months younger then Cousins so I don't think sitting out a year is in his cards, the best situation for him to showcase his talents would be Minnesota with the weapons we have.

• Like 2