Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

to add a little more context to his quote from Monday:

Cousins: "I think God has blessed me financially beyond my wildest dreams, so at this stage in my career, the dollars are really not what it’s about."

"I had a coach who I was with, who was a younger coach at the time, this was back eight, nine years ago, before my first franchise tag, and we were talking about the situation and he made a great comment and he said, 'Kirk, it’s not about the dollars, but it is about what the dollars represent.' I thought that was an interesting comment that he made. There will always be some of that, but at today’s point, structure is probably more important. Everything that isn’t the dollars, so that’s stuff you also work through."

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/vikings/kirk-cousins-on-his-future-hometown-discount-achilles-rehab?fbclid=IwAR212x_FG-hr1BPGCN__ZW8j5OI59Mftcg9fjx8WhdvgQ1ytFNMfmFR12uk

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

So, to paraphrase, “I’m a starting QB in this league, and should be paid as such. But that doesn’t mean I need to be amongst the highest paid starters.”

or... "I have more money than me, my children, and their children can ever spend. Our family is set for several lifetimes. Once we achieved that, there are other priorities to examine and obtain."

I've felt that way myself over the past few years...money is very important, but once you have enough, really, other things mean more.  While he's at a completely different level than all of us here (I certainly don't have anywhere near enough money to last several lifetimes, hell, I'm pretty sure mine will be gone after I'm gone), it's really just Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs in practice.  Once the first 2 levels have been attained, now, it's on to the rest of them. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I've felt that way myself over the past few years...money is very important, but once you have enough, really, other things mean more.  While he's at a completely different level than all of us here (I certainly don't have anywhere near enough money to last several lifetimes, hell, I'm pretty sure mine will be gone after I'm gone), it's really just Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs in practice.  Once the first 2 levels have been attained, now, it's on to the rest of them. 

I agree, but I do think he'll get North of 30 million. I just don't see anyone taking so much less than they are worth. Hoping he comes back for near nothing, but not thinking he will....

• Like 1

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

I agree, but I do think he'll get North of 30 million. I just don't see anyone taking so much less than they are worth. Hoping he comes back for near nothing, but not thinking he will....

Agree, I don't expect him to take any less than $35-40M...but that may be fine.  They're already on the hook for $28M, so that's not much more than that. 

• Like 1

Cousins is likely going to get ~$37M for 2 or 3 years if he re-signs with the Vikings, and probably ~$45M for 2-3 years if he hits the open market. 

With the new wave of QB contracts between $50M and $55M, a $37M per year deal would be a Brady level hometown discount. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'll predict/guess/ponder over/throw a dart at the wall that Kirk re-signs with the Vikings for two years at $33 million a year, fully guaranteed.

or something else will happen. lol

Don't say Ponder...just don't!  😉

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I mean, I was being very optimistic at thirty.....

i don't think that number is out of the range of possibilities.

but you know what? i also see Kwesi as being willing to make a major move this year, let Kirk walk, and go with one of the top three rookie QB's and Mullens,

WHO KNOWS???

Edited by vike daddy