Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

Atlanta could have picked Dallas Turner, Latu or Rome Odunze.  Considering how suspect their edge rushers are Latu or Turner should have been the pick.  If Trice does well then it will not matter, and with getting Rondale Moore and Mooney the WR position is improved also.  Atlanta wanted to get a developmental sit and wait QB and if Kirk does not come off that injury well they have a backup plan.  Achilles tear is worse than an ACL tera, so Atlanta was just protecting themselves.

But teams are copying what Green Bay has done two times, draft a QB while they have a HOF QB playing the position.  Key word Hall of Fame QB in Favre and Rodgers.  

Atlanta is trying to pull that off and Minnesota is as well but neither have a HOF QB.

In terms of Kirk Cousins who cares what he thinks or if his feelings are hurt.  I mean if he is so good it should not matter who they draft and he got paid 4 years for 180 mil including $50 mil signing bonus and $100,000 guaranteed.  He is one of the top 15 highest paid QBs in the NFL.  Sure Love and Tua got bigger deals but they are also 9-10 years younger.  And hell Cousins gets as much as Mahomes per year and more than Josh Allen and Matthew Stafford two guys that are worlds ahead of him.

Player Team Age Total
Value
Avg./Year Total
Guaranteed
Fully
Guaranteed
Free
Agency
Joe Burrow Bengals 28 $275,000,000 $55,000,000 $219,010,000 $146,510,000 2030 Void
Jordan Love Packers 26 $220,000,000 $55,000,000 $160,300,000 $100,800,000 2029 Void
Trevor Lawrence Jaguars 25 $275,000,000 $55,000,000 $200,000,000 $142,000,000 2031 Void
Tua Tagovailoa Dolphins 26 $212,400,000 $53,100,000 $167,171,000 $93,171,000 2029 UFA
Jared Goff Lions 30 $212,000,000 $53,000,000 $170,611,832 $113,611,832 2029 Void
Justin Herbert Chargers 26 $262,500,000 $52,500,000 $193,738,375 $133,738,375 2030 UFA
Lamar Jackson Ravens 27 $260,000,000 $52,000,000 $185,000,000 $135,000,000 2028 Void
Jalen Hurts Eagles 26 $255,000,000 $51,000,000 $179,304,000 $110,000,000 2029 Void
Kyler Murray Cardinals 27 $230,500,000 $46,100,000 $160,000,000 $103,300,000 2029 UFA
Deshaun Watson Browns 29 $230,000,000 $46,000,000 $230,000,000 $230,000,000 2027 Void
Kirk Cousins Falcons 36 $180,000,000 $45,000,000 $100,000,000 $90,000,000 2028 UFA
Patrick Mahomes Chiefs 29 $450,000,000 $45,000,000 $141,000,000 $63,081,905 2032 Void
Josh Allen Bills 28 $258,000,000 $43,000,000 $150,000,000 $100,000,000 2029 UFA
Matt Stafford Rams 36 $160,000,000 $40,000,000 $135,000,000 $63,000,000 2027 UFA
Dak Prescott Cowboys 31 $160,000,000 $40,000,000 $126,000,000 $95,000,000 2025 Void

So really Kirk Cousins should be thankful to get that kind of pay day still.  He also is getting well over Aaron Rodgers, both torn an achilles it will be interesting how each come back from that if they even do.  

5 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

If Kirk played 5 more years at a high level and could win a ring in Atlanta he might have a shot at being a HOFer.

If Kirk were to win a ring in Atlanta, I would put him in the HoF before I'd put Eli Manning in the HoF...and I'll die on that hill.  I don't care that Eli won 2 rings, he has no business being anywhere near the HoF.  He and Jim Plunkett are basically in the same category in my book.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If Kirk were to win a ring in Atlanta, I would put him in the HoF before I'd put Eli Manning in the HoF...and I'll die on that hill.  I don't care that Eli won 2 rings, he has no business being anywhere near the HoF.  He and Jim Plunkett are basically in the same category in my book.  

Hmmmm...completely different eras.  Plunkett started as a rookie, at a time rookies didn't start at QB all that often.  He got the confidence beaten out of him as the Patriots were a truly terrible franchise.  His years long comeback to lead the Raiders to two Super Bowl rings is probably one of the greatest QB comeback stories after Kurt Warner.  Plunkett was the perfect QB to run Tom Flores offense and they might not have gotten to the Super Bowl without Plunkett.  If we take eras into consideration than Plunkett belongs in the HOF.  If you are judging him by today's standards, than no...he doesn't have the stats...not even near.

Manning's candidacy is a little more complicated.  He played in the era of his brother, Brady, Rodgers and Brees.  His stats don't match well.  However, he was a hell of a 4th quarter big game QB.  That's not nothing. But, is it enough?

26 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Eli Manning was 8-4 in the playoffs with two Super Bowls.  Sure the rings help a ton but at least the dude won.

Kirk Cousins is what 1-4?  Oh how wonderful.  And the likelihood that Atlanta will beat out the 49ers, Eagles, Lions and Packers?  Good luck with that one, could throw in the LA Rams and Dallas as well potentially, and that is not even considering the AFC team that makes it most likely the Chiefs, Ravens, Dolphins or Texans.  All of those teams are better than Atlanta.

Eli Manning 16 years in the NFL

57023 yards passing
366 TDs
244 INTs
60.3% completion percentage
411 Sacked

Kirk Cousins 12 years in the NFL

39471 passing yards
270 TDs
110 INTs
66.9% completion percentage
304 Sacked

Sure Kirk is ok but winning absolutely matters and when a career is over that is really all that matters in terms of being remembered.  Until Kirk wins big he just puts up stats.  Say what you want to about Eli but he won and that matters.  Eli had a bad end to his career, a lot of losing and bad records those last three years, he probably stayed too long but still beating arguably the best team in NFL history offensively in New England, that was real deal and historically great.  

55 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Hmmmm...completely different eras.  Plunkett started as a rookie, at a time rookies didn't start at QB all that often.  He got the confidence beaten out of him as the Patriots were a truly terrible franchise.  His years long comeback to lead the Raiders to two Super Bowl rings is probably one of the greatest QB comeback stories after Kurt Warner.  Plunkett was the perfect QB to run Tom Flores offense and they might not have gotten to the Super Bowl without Plunkett.  If we take eras into consideration than Plunkett belongs in the HOF.  If you are judging him by today's standards, than no...he doesn't have the stats...not even near.

Manning's candidacy is a little more complicated.  He played in the era of his brother, Brady, Rodgers and Brees.  His stats don't match well.  However, he was a hell of a 4th quarter big game QB.  That's not nothing. But, is it enough?

I would never compare them statistically, but I put them in the same category as two-time SB winners. If you're not going to put Plunkett in, then Eli has no business in there...they were both mediocre QBs who happened to strike gold twice...and in Eli's case even moreso than Plunkett, there was a lot of luck involved (even when you take out the David Tyree catch).  In addition, in an era where it was more difficult to make the playoffs, Plunkett got just as many playoff wins as Manning did.       

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Eli Manning was 8-4 in the playoffs with two Super Bowls.  Sure the rings help a ton but at least the dude won.

Kirk Cousins is what 1-4?  Oh how wonderful.  And the likelihood that Atlanta will beat out the 49ers, Eagles, Lions and Packers?  Good luck with that one, could throw in the LA Rams and Dallas as well potentially, and that is not even considering the AFC team that makes it most likely the Chiefs, Ravens, Dolphins or Texans.  All of those teams are better than Atlanta.

Eli Manning 16 years in the NFL

57023 yards passing
366 TDs
244 INTs
60.3% completion percentage
411 Sacked

Kirk Cousins 12 years in the NFL

39471 passing yards
270 TDs
110 INTs
66.9% completion percentage
304 Sacked

Sure Kirk is ok but winning absolutely matters and when a career is over that is really all that matters in terms of being remembered.  Until Kirk wins big he just puts up stats.  Say what you want to about Eli but he won and that matters.  Eli had a bad end to his career, a lot of losing and bad records those last three years, he probably stayed too long but still beating arguably the best team in NFL history offensively in New England, that was real deal and historically great.  

That's in essence what I was saying...career-wise, Kirk is a far superior QB to Eli Manning.  In fact, I don't think its even close. However, Eli got the rings.  So if Kirk can somehow manage to get even just one, that puts him in the HoF over Eli, as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

That's in essence what I was saying...career-wise, Kirk is a far superior QB to Eli Manning.  In fact, I don't think its even close. However, Eli got the rings.  So if Kirk can somehow manage to get even just one, that puts him in the HoF over Eli, as far as I'm concerned. 

How one does in the playoffs when it matters is a players career, what you do in the most important games and so far Kirk has done basically nothing.  Eli beat Green Bay twice on the road in the playoffs once for the NFC title and beat the 49ers on the road also for the NFC title, his track record is just worlds ahead of Kirk Cousins.

Eli Manning is first up for the Hall of Fame in 2025, sure he might not get in right away but seriously I really doubt Kirk Cousins is going to all of a sudden win a Super Bowl in Atlanta!  As if Minnesota was this awful team that is just terrible.  He walked into a situation right when he got here with Cook starting out, Thielen, Diggs and Rudolph plus the top ranked defense from the year before.  That team was what freaking 8-7 and did not go to the playoffs when going 13-3 the year before with Case Keenum!  And recently even a team with tons of weapons so Kirk had plenty, lucky for him Atlanta has tons of weapons also and maybe a better OL but time will tell.  

Then next year in 2019 Cousins at least got his one and only playoff victory on the road against New Orleans with a secondary on defense that had tons of injuries, so that was impressive then they kind of get killed by the 49ers on the road the next week, he got sacked 6 times, hit 9 times and they ran for over 182 yards against them.   Sure last year he was impressive after Jefferson went down and seemed to be really clicking with Kevin O'Connell and the management but that is obviously done with.  

There is a reason Atlanta is +3500 odds to win the Super Bowl, Chiefs for example are +550, 49ers +600.  If there was a way to put money down on Atlanta not winning the Super Bowl this year I would do it, because the likelihood of that is crazy small I would say.  It would he shocking honestly especially coming off an achilles tear with so many better teams around the NFL.  So at this point to even think he can win the Super Bowl, well good luck with that one Kirk.  That DL and edge group is an issue for Atlanta and as if the Bucs are some bad team, they are not and having a much better DL and better edge rushers also.  Baker is very proven and Mike Evans is a stud, if that OL can improve with Barton at center they could be a solid team and might win the division so Atlanta has some work to do but we will see how they look when the season starts.  

Cousins, in May: “It was very grey. It was very ‘We don’t know what we’re going to do.’ And speaking with Kevin O’Connell, it was always very communicative with me. It was ‘We’re not sure.’ He said if we bring you back, we’d love to use the draft picks on defense. But you understand that nobody really knows in March what they’re going to do in late April.”

https://thevikingage.com/posts/atlanta-falcons-kirk-cousins-comments-minnesota-vikings-exit?f

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Then Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, and Phillip Rivers should not be in the Hall of Fame, if we're going to include Super Bowls as criteria for a QB.

I don't think it has to be that way, but that's what I'm thinking will be the case unless you're an absolute baller in the regular season like Josh Allen. 

I don't see Matt Stafford as a HOFer but I think even he gets in someday.

15 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I don't see Matt Stafford as a HOFer but I think even he gets in someday.

Stafford's borderline even with the ring.  Ironically, one of his of his top comparisons on pfr is Eli.  🤣

Honestly, if we're all being truly serious, none of the 3 discussed (Cousins, Eli, Stafford) are or should be HoFers.  They all have serious flaws in their resumes. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Cousins, in May: “It was very grey. It was very ‘We don’t know what we’re going to do.’ And speaking with Kevin O’Connell, it was always very communicative with me. It was ‘We’re not sure.’ He said if we bring you back, we’d love to use the draft picks on defense. But you understand that nobody really knows in March what they’re going to do in late April.”

https://thevikingage.com/posts/atlanta-falcons-kirk-cousins-comments-minnesota-vikings-exit?f

While I am grateful for the seasons Kirk gave the Vikings. He didn't finish the job.  So, the Atlanta QB just no longer matters to me.

• Like 2