CPOTY

BetterCallSaul

52 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

Pretty the last several. Come on now..let's not pretend that the 'preseason champs' haven't been overhyped. Maybe SB is an exaggeration, that's fair. But they've definitely been over hyped is my point. 

…dude. Go punch your pillow. 

53 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

Pretty the last several. Come on now..let's not pretend that the 'preseason champs' haven't been overhyped. Maybe SB is an exaggeration, that's fair. But they've definitely been over hyped is my point. 

I guess I'm not seeing it.  Browns went 11-6 with 5 different starting QBs last year.  I would say they lived up to the hype.  And were expectations high for them in 2022 when Watson was suspended for the first 11 games?  They were 17th in preseason Super Bowl odds, only ahead of teams with low expectations.

2021 felt like the only season where they fell flat.  And even then, Baker Mayfield suffered a torn labrum in Week 2.  The year before they went 11-5.  The talent and coaching is there.  They just need for the QB position to stay healthy.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

I think this award is more about capturing an impressive narrative or unexpected performance.. It doesn't really matter what they are "coming back" from. Just a player that captures a ton of headlines and hype, especially towards the end of the year.

And even though its a regular season award, these voters are likely projecting what they think will happen in the playoffs.

People thought Flacco would lead the Browns to at least a win or two, and Baker would get bounced in the first round. 

With Purdy, people don't know or remember how bad that injury was, and as someone mentioned he technically didn't miss any games.

Edited by adamq

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Do you really suspect this to become a problem? Absurd take. 

I think you are right. CPOTY awards arent that important in terms of resume and hall of fame case. So in that perspective I guess thats why its such a relaxed system. But the voting system in general is flawed. Just look at the MVP. How does Allen get one vote? Feels random for that to happen. I feel like voters have agendas when placing votes rather than using their votes as something valuable and voting for the most deserving. And it make the voters feel like they have zero football IQ.

22 hours ago, adamq said:

I think this award is more about capturing an impressive narrative or unexpected performance.. It doesn't really matter what they are "coming back" from. Just a player that captures a ton of headlines and hype, especially towards the end of the year.

Agreed, and it’s why it’s the most flawed award IMO.

I wouldn’t mind seeing CPOTY be defined as coming back from a major injury or life threatening condition (covers Hamlin and Berry, but would exclude guys like Flacco and GSmith).

Create a MIP player which would be defined as non-injured previous year improvement into the next year (excludes cases like Hamlin, but would cover guys with Gus like Flacco and GSmith).

That means CPOTY can be the story related award while MIP can be story/stat driven.  That way 5 games 3 tackles for Hamlin coming back form literally having cardiac arrest on the field doesn’t need to compete with Joe Flacco being 600 yards, 8 TD’s, 5 INT’s better than the previous year.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:
2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Create a MIP player

Agreed. Weird this isn’t an award, to be honest. 

Seems like a boring award. It would pretty much be a breakout award. End up going to the breakout QB of the year. If there wasn't one, that 2nd year receiver or RB who got 1k yards.

MIP... "breakout award"
Bounce back player... "Recovered from a down year or years award"
Some trendy name... "come back from injury award"
CPOTY... "Came out of retirement or from military service or religious duty award"