CPOTY

BetterCallSaul

If enough money got bet on Flacco he’d become the favorite. These odds aren’t predictions. They’re there to make the house the most amount of money possible.

I think the voters are going to feel the same way as most of this thread and not give it to Hamlin. I just don’t think anyone wants to say it out loud.

On 12/27/2023 at 5:37 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

One criteria should involve actually playing though, right?  

I’m not saying it has to be Flacco, but I do feel like it’s got to be someone who came back and actually contributed to a team on the field.

Yeah for real. Like Hamlin is a great story, but calling him a "player" at this point when he has 2 total tackles this entire season is...a stretch. Moreover, giving him this award when it's literally always gone to someone who's overcome adversity/injury to come back and contribute to their team is a slap in the face to more deserving guys. I'm totally fine giving him all the community awards and whatever, but not this one.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2023 at 8:23 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get it and it’s a great story, don’t get me wrong, but at the risk of triggering someone if the award is to be related to actual performance on the field at all then a total of 2 tackles is hard to argue for.

Maybe it's just me, but CPOTY is probably the most narrative driven award of them all. I don't necessarily agree with it - and a guy who has made two tackles all season long isn't really "returning" from anything if you look at it practically. Heck, guy has two more tackles than me this season.

As far as Flacco - given his performance and the overall state of the Browns, I can absolutely make an argument that he's the guy. But are we really going to go for someone who wasn't even on a roster for the first half of the season? I personally would, but I get it when people sort of flinch at that idea.

• Like 1

Didn’t Terrelle Pryor win it as a rookie. And Rivers win it for throwing a bunch of interceptions the year before? It’s not a real award.

Why don’t they just give the award to all of us who were horrified watching Hamlin be dead? Because that’s what it’s really about. How it made people feel. It has nothing to do with Damar.

20 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Maybe it's just me, but CPOTY is probably the most narrative driven award of them all. I don't necessarily agree with it - and a guy who has made two tackles all season long isn't really "returning" from anything if you look at it practically. Heck, guy has two more tackles than me this season.

As far as Flacco - given his performance and the overall state of the Browns, I can absolutely make an argument that he's the guy. But are we really going to go for someone who wasn't even on a roster for the first half of the season? I personally would, but I get it when people sort of flinch at that idea.

If someone wanted to give it to someone with more games played or more time on a roster I’d understand that completely. Stafford for example.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2023 at 5:37 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

One criteria should involve actually playing though, right?  

I’m not saying it has to be Flacco, but I do feel like it’s got to be someone who came back and actually contributed to a team on the field.

Nope. That doesn't exist as far as I am aware.  Hamlin actually got votes last year for the award, which I assume would stem the cardiac event and not his play prior to that, in which case he didn't play after the Bengals game. 

"Shows perseverance in overcoming adversity" is the only criteria that I'm actually aware of. The Masterton trophy in the NHL is similar. Josh Harding won that in 2013 and played 8 out of 82 games (he was diagnosed with MS earlier in the year). Ordinarily, production and whatnot may matter, but every now and again, you just have something really crazy that someone overcomes and that just kind of throws everything else out. 

I feel like the basis of the  award, as grotesque as it may sound, was supposed to be grading guys on what challenges they are overcoming.  Hamlin has been active for a few games, gotten a couple of defensive special teams snaps and for some people that may be more than enough to give him the award considering what he actually overcame. Overcoming nearly dying "just" to do that is probably more worthy of the award than overcoming sitting on your couch (in Flacco's case) to some people.  I feel like was probably more in line with the original spirit of the award, but again, no criteria was ever actually established and it's always been that you could just suck the year before lol. 

I would assume that some people like to put an emphasis on how much they do on the field, but for something like this, depending on the mountain that a person has to climb to get back, it may not matter. There are very few times where we have someone coming back from something like this or even something like Alex Smith came back from in 2020. I think when those incidents occur, those are what people want to reward. Usually it does become a production award because it's just a bunch of guys coming back from a torn acl or something like that. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Didn’t Terrelle Pryor win it as a rookie. And Rivers win it for throwing a bunch of interceptions the year before? It’s not a real award.

Why don’t they just give the award to all of us who were horrified watching Hamlin be dead? Because that’s what it’s really about. How it made people feel. It has nothing to do with Damar.

No, Pryor didn't win it. 

Rivers did win it for being mediocre in 2012 though lol. But that's always been part of it. Overcoming crappy play is overcoming adversity, I guess. 

As for Hamlin, it kind of depends on what he had to do to get back and make the roster. I have no idea what he had to "overcome" after what happened. But if there were a bunch of things he had to do (a bunch of physical therapy and whatnot, for example), then it absolutely has something to do with Hamlin. I'm not sure if he was just cleared and then he was 100% full on good to go. I don't know what his recovery was like at all. 

48 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah for real. Like Hamlin is a great story, but calling him a "player" at this point when he has 2 total tackles this entire season is...a stretch. Moreover, giving him this award when it's literally always gone to someone who's overcome adversity/injury to come back and contribute to their team is a slap in the face to more deserving guys. I'm totally fine giving him all the community awards and whatever, but not this one.

To piggy back off this, I thought he was honored a bunch of different ways last year. At the ESPYs, on daytime talk shows, pregame tributes and speeches, ect. There was like a month long period where everything was recognizing him.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think that this is the first time this happened since the new voting  ?

I feel bad for not giving appropriate credit bc I forget which poster said it but whoever said "Flacco leading the Browns to the playoffs is more impressive than coming back from death" deserves extra footballs.

I approve even though Browns sweepin all the awards