Week 17 GDT: Dallas v. Detroit - Playoff Matchup?

D82

5 hours ago, HDsportsfan said:

Also, you thought you were sarcastic about the fumbling out of the endzone. If you're not, I totally disagree. Punish the offense in some way. I don't know. Loss of down and bring the ball back to the 20 if they started inside the 20 or if outside of the 20 when the play started the ball goes back to that point.

I think it's an even tradeoff for the offense being allowed to fumble the ball out of bounds with impunity from their half-yard line to the opponent's. For every time the touchback rule happens, there's just as many or more plays where the defense just barely came up short of a clean recovery in bounds. And that's okay. But the end zone is sacred.

Plus, it's just chaotic, changes the game on a dime. Chaos in sports is fun. I will never agree that the offense should keep the ball on these plays.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I think it's an even tradeoff for the offense being allowed to fumble the ball out of bounds with impunity from their half-yard line to the opponent's. For every time the touchback rule happens, there's just as many or more plays where the defense just barely came up short of a clean recovery in bounds. And that's okay. But the end zone is sacred.

Plus, it's just chaotic, changes the game on a dime. Chaos in sports is fun. I will never agree that the offense should keep the ball on these plays.

Interesting perspective and viewpoint. Even though a majority of the current rules seem to favor the offense overall to begin with. For some reason, this rule just rubs me raw. And it's not because it just happened to us. It just doesn't feel right and a hell of a "penalty" to choke down.

2 points… 1) the touchback rule is fair.  If the offense fumbles out of their own end zone, by rule, it’s a safety and the other team gets the ball.  It’s fair and nobody complains about that.  It’s the benefit the defense gets for forcing the fumble.  Why should it be so different when the offense fumbles out of the opponent’s end zone?  It’s the benefit the defense gets for causing the fumble.  Bottom line is the ball is sacred… just don’t fumble.

2). Do you guys realize if that wasn’t the rule, the buffalo bills would have 0 superbowl highlights despite appearing in 4 of them?  

The Cowboys got a break in end but they also got screwed on the phantom trip call which would have ended the game. With the Eagles losing yesterday the Cowboys having a good chance of getting to the NFC Championship game. With Jimmy finally getting inducted into the ROH maybe the curse is finally broken.

I just double checked the rules and as I understand them the play was also illegal because even if Decker was eligible there also was a WR right next too him on the LOS.  Though I guess as it was a semi wedge Detroit is claiming the outside guy was not in LOS but the guy was at Deckers hip

i also feel Detroit tried to confuse us which is kinda silly as the ref announces things as to who was eligible.  They keep saying why else was decker going to ref if not reporting but uh why were the other two going to ref as well then!!!  

Just glad we win and pity about this as it takes away from our win.  Just like the last Detroit playoff game and the whole non PI call.  It also is interesting that it’s okay for Detroit and the nation ti feel slighted by refs and “they were cheated”.  But when we point out worse infractions by refs against us the were key in our loses it is Cowboys are such cry babies whining about the refs just win the game and refs don’t matter

1 hour ago, quiller said:

I just double checked the rules and as I understand them the play was also illegal because even if Decker was eligible there also was a WR right next too him on the LOS.  Though I guess as it was a semi wedge Detroit is claiming the outside guy was not in LOS but the guy was at Deckers hip

i also feel Detroit tried to confuse us which is kinda silly as the ref announces things as to who was eligible.  They keep saying why else was decker going to ref if not reporting but uh why were the other two going to ref as well then!!!  

Just glad we win and pity about this as it takes away from our win.  Just like the last Detroit playoff game and the whole non PI call.  It also is interesting that it’s okay for Detroit and the nation ti feel slighted by refs and “they were cheated”.  But when we point out worse infractions by refs against us the were key in our loses it is Cowboys are such cry babies whining about the refs just win the game and refs don’t matter

I get people being very critical of the refs on the 2 point conversion.  I’m sure I would be too.  What people do not get , however, was that the cowboys did everything RIGHT based on what was reported to the defense by the referee.  The cowboys accounted for Skipper not decker as reported not just to the defense but it was announced to the entire stadium that #70 reported as eligible.  At that point, it’s on the lions to correct it.  It’s not like it was a secret who the referee told the defense to account for.  It would have been super easy for Decker to tell referee that he was the eligible receiver after it was announced to the entire stadium.  My guess is the reason that decker didn’t do just that was because it would have killed the element of surprise.  But, the whole reason that there is reporting in the first place is so there is no surprise.  

the only media where I clearly hear the official announcement is on Spanish TV.  The media clearly likes controversy because it’s good for ratings.  So, nobody is pointing out the obvious… the lions knew the ref announced skipper as eligible and did nothing to fix it.  The just ran the play knowing DECKER was ineligible.

here’s the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dorVzysIkkM

None of that is on the Cowboys or there defense in giving up a 2 point conversion to a player they were told was ineligible.

Edited by The_Slamman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Slamman said:

I get people being very critical of the refs on the 2 point conversion.  I’m sure I would be too.  What people do not get , however, was that the cowboys did everything RIGHT based on what was reported to the defense by the referee.  The cowboys accounted for Skipper not decker as reported not just to the defense but it was announced to the entire stadium that #70 reported as eligible.  At that point, it’s on the lions to correct it.  It’s not like it was a secret who the referee told the defense to account for.  It would have been super easy for Decker to tell referee that he was the eligible receiver after it was announced to the entire stadium.  My guess is the reason that decker didn’t do just that was because it would have killed the element of surprise.  But, the whole reason that there is reporting in the first place is so there is no surprise.  

the only media where I clearly hear the official announcement is on Spanish TV.  The media clearly likes controversy because it’s good for ratings.  So, nobody is pointing out the obvious… the lions knew the ref announced skipper as eligible and did nothing to fix it.  The just ran the play knowing DECKER was ineligible.

here’s the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dorVzysIkkM

None of that is on the Cowboys or there defense in giving up a 2 point conversion to a player they were told was ineligible.

I've read so many posts, articles, links and videos on this and I could be mistaken. But besides the Spanish broadcast I could have sworn I came across audio where the announcement came over Brad Schamm's radio broadcast as well.

Another thing that is irritating about this. Again, between all the espn, NFL network, Sirius/XM podcasts and shows...no one, and I mean no one outside of us Dallas fans, have even mentioned the phantom tripping call on us when it was actually Hendrickson. That call screwed us hard. It would have been 2nd and 2 from like the 20. MM is a total dumbass for passing and I'm certainly in no way justifying him doing so at all. But without that penalty there is no way we ever pass the ball in that game at that point and time if that call did not occur. And no one, I mean NO ONE, is mentioning that call on any of the media shows I've watched. If we didn't get that penalty, chances are we run more time off the clock and the ending more likely would have played out differently.

Everyone, well most everyone because a few talking heads have had this sentiment, Detroit tried to get too cute, and it backfired. Plain and simple.

Some are even saying how egregious this was and want Goodell to invoke some clause to nullify the win and a few other options he actually has the power to do that has never been done in the history of the NFL. The rule apparently exists as a catch all.

I don't apologize for this victory not one bit. F*** all the haters.

I say this while at the same time, outside of Dallas, I've been rooting for Detroit. For several reasons....they haven't won a championship since what the 50's??, Dan Campbell, and he has them simply playing hard.

Edited by HDsportsfan

2 hours ago, HDsportsfan said:

I've read so many posts, articles, links and videos on this and I could be mistaken. But besides the Spanish broadcast I could have sworn I came across audio where the announcement came over Brad Schamm's radio broadcast as well.

Another thing that is irritating about this. Again, between all the espn, NFL network, Sirius/XM podcasts and shows...no one, and I mean no one outside of us Dallas fans, have even mentioned the phantom tripping call on us when it was actually Hendrickson. That call screwed us hard. It would have been 2nd and 2 from like the 20. MM is a total dumbass for passing and I'm certainly in no way justifying him doing so at all. But without that penalty there is no way we ever pass the ball in that game at that point and time if that call did not occur. And no one, I mean NO ONE, is mentioning that call on any of the media shows I've watched. If we didn't get that penalty, chances are we run more time off the clock and the ending more likely would have played out differently.

Everyone, well most everyone because a few talking heads have had this sentiment, Detroit tried to get too cute, and it backfired. Plain and simple.

Some are even saying how egregious this was and want Goodell to invoke some clause to nullify the win and a few other options he actually has the power to do that has never been done in the history of the NFL. The rule apparently exists as a catch all.

I don't apologize for this victory not one bit. F*** all the haters.

I say this while at the same time, outside of Dallas, I've been rooting for Detroit. For several reasons....they haven't won a championship since what the 50's??, Dan Campbell, and he has them simply playing hard.

The Hendrickson play if it was actually called correctly would have penalized the lions for 15 yards as Hendrickson attempted to trip pollard.  It’s a first down deep in the red zone.  At that point, I don’t think even McCarthy is dumb enough to screw it up.

3 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

The Hendrickson play if it was actually called correctly would have penalized the lions for 15 yards as Hendrickson attempted to trip pollard.  It’s a first down deep in the red zone.  At that point, I don’t think even McCarthy is dumb enough to screw it up.

Careful, 2 fumbles at the 1 yard line in the past 2 games???

Not so sure about that.

But yes, the run ended on the 22 yard line. Tack on 15 yards and it's 1st and goal at the 7 with 2 TO for Detroit. 

Run, TO.

Run, TO.

Run again.......tick tock, tick tock.....

If we don't score a TD, kick the FG, under 58 seconds to play.

Detroit's drive started at 1:45 seconds I believe. It ended with 23 seconds.

So it took them 1:22 seconds to score.

Nah, game would've been over by then, provided we didn't score a TD to ice it.