Brett Hundley, his career moving forward

SpanosPayYourRent

On 12/12/2017 at 11:37 AM, El ramster said:

Packer fans are crazy thinking he's good.

yall were what 4-1? Now you're what? What!!??

Before he played any significant downs in the regular season none of us were sure what to expect.  He had looked decent in the preseason but as we all know there is a world of difference between those games and the regular season.  We hoped he would be good and would generate interest from other teams in a trade.  Now we know he's going to be a career backup and could carve out a nice career for himself doing just that.  

36 minutes ago, DudeWhat??? said:

He had way more knocks on him  besides his height even though we all found out those to be falsehoods... height should have been dismissed as he played behind a huge nfl style winsconsin oline thus he displayed the ability to play behind despite his size... 

What were the other knocks against him?  I don't recall.

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

What were the other knocks against him?  I don't recall.

the knocked on everything from his throwing motion to accuracy to inconsistency...

“I have two concerns about Wilson’s potential. The first is that his upside might be as a backup capable of helping a team for stretches as a starter, but he’ll never demonstrate that he’s good enough to be the guy a team will build around. “ – The fifth down

Again, this is a day of practice one day after a different day of practice.

"(Wilson) is not a legitimate NFL prospect."

"He's got a little money in his pocket, which helps."

"He can play in the NFL, but I don't see a team drafting him and making him a quarterback of the future."

Day 3 Risers and Fallers, from the NYTimes:

QB Russell Wilson, Wisconsin: Wilson is a superb athlete, but he is very inconsistent as a passer. He is shorter than Kellen Moore, and several of his passes tend to sail high. Those passes will turn into interceptions at the next level. When he’s rolling out, his accuracy also leaves a lot to be desired.

Comments: Despite his diminutive size, Wilson can actually throw the ball with power. Where he struggled a bit was with throws down field. His release and arm action is slightly similar to former NFL QB Rohan Davey.

Pauline notes that Wilson struggled to make plays from the pocket and isn't as good as Cousins. Rob Rang of CBS Sports agrees that Cousins, based on a week of practice and a fake game, is outshining Wilson.

10 hours ago, DudeWhat??? said:

And they have at times done things on the field that made a lot of people claim they are not fit to start... two weeks ago Dak was supposedly a fluke... point is don’t be so quick to uplift or dismiss especially if you see some flashes and progress. 

I've seen flashes and some progress before...their names were Tarvaris Jackson and Christian Ponder...and from what I've seen of Hundley, I'm not sure he's all that different from them.  

8 hours ago, DudeWhat??? said:

the knocked on everything from his throwing motion to accuracy to inconsistency...

“I have two concerns about Wilson’s potential. The first is that his upside might be as a backup capable of helping a team for stretches as a starter, but he’ll never demonstrate that he’s good enough to be the guy a team will build around. “ – The fifth down

Again, this is a day of practice one day after a different day of practice.

"(Wilson) is not a legitimate NFL prospect."

"He's got a little money in his pocket, which helps."

"He can play in the NFL, but I don't see a team drafting him and making him a quarterback of the future."

Day 3 Risers and Fallers, from the NYTimes:

QB Russell Wilson, Wisconsin: Wilson is a superb athlete, but he is very inconsistent as a passer. He is shorter than Kellen Moore, and several of his passes tend to sail high. Those passes will turn into interceptions at the next level. When he’s rolling out, his accuracy also leaves a lot to be desired.

Comments: Despite his diminutive size, Wilson can actually throw the ball with power. Where he struggled a bit was with throws down field. His release and arm action is slightly similar to former NFL QB Rohan Davey.

Pauline notes that Wilson struggled to make plays from the pocket and isn't as good as Cousins. Rob Rang of CBS Sports agrees that Cousins, based on a week of practice and a fake game, is outshining Wilson.

I guess this again shows how tricky it is to scout collegiate QBs to the NFL.  Cousins is a good QB but not in Wilson's tier.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, disaacs said:

No team is going to make that mistake again like the Bears did with Glennon and the Texans did with Osweiler. 

I wouldn't call Glennon a mistake.  I'd say the Bears were the mistake, on Glennon's part.  Chicago screwed him;  They clearly had no intention to make him the long term starter.  They tossed him aside just as Tampa did 4 years ago.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:25 AM, disaacs said:

They would have been better off signing Fitzpatrick for half of what they paid Glennon.  Glennon, with his track record, had no reason getting $15M.  $15M is for a starting-level QB, of which Glennon wasn't proven to be.  If they had any intention of drafting a QB, you don't sign Glennon for that kind of money...you sign a proven veteran QB who is willing and able to be a bridge QB.   It was a mistake, plain and simple. 

Hundley is a different version of Glennon, but is in a similar situation...not proven to be capable enough to warrant any starting money out in the market.  No team is going to make that mistake...and it would be a mistake, just like Glennon's was.  

The bold part I agree with. They shouldn't have brought in Glennon if they were going to draft early, but your assessment of Glennon is incorrect.  He was more than solid as a rookie on a pitiful Bucs team.  He definitely earned the opportunity to be developed, but was tossed aside for Winston, who is starting to look like the real mistake, with his consistently inconsistent play, and now more off the field issues. 

As for Hundley, I'm still curious as to why he was even drafted in the first place; because he really wasn't that good in college, save for a couple games here and there. 

Some of you guys have really low standards for quarterbacks.  I was able to catch 4 games this year that Hundley started, and he looked completely lost in all four, including the Steelers game, where he managed decent numbers.  I hear he played well this past weekend, but I'm not going to jump on the hype train, because he was able to eek out a win against the Cleveland Browns...sorry.  One game of not looking like a dumpster fire doesn't entitle you to a starting job, unless your name is DeShone Kizer...

4 hours ago, disaacs said:

I've seen flashes and some progress before...their names were Tarvaris Jackson and Christian Ponder...and from what I've seen of Hundley, I'm not sure he's all that different from them.  

tjack was the checkdown king so he was the very opposite of showing flashes and progress. Ponder couldn't even get more than 2 wins in his first season...brett gave us the packers still in the playoff hunt...Ponder gave us Joe Webb. both tjack and ponder should have been given the draft round grades that wilson dak and brett recieved.

Archived