2024 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

44 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Welcome to hell.

We aren't trading anyone.  We aren't gutting the roster.  We aren't drafting any of the top QBs in the draft.  Ever.  If we do, it will be when Jamarcus Russell Jr. is in the draft.  Again, welcome to hell.

With Telesco leading the ship that's probably true.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

With Telesco leading the ship that's probably true.

I don't get it. What about Telesco's past makes you guys think this? He's traded for big name free agents. He's identified and drafted a franchise QB, I mean he's done all those things in the past...... He just won't do it here?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I don't get it. What about Telesco's past makes you guys think this? He's traded for big name free agents. He's identified and drafted a franchise QB, I mean he's done all those things in the past...... He just won't do it here?

Mike Williams just wrote on social media that he wants to go to a team with a QB that can win games.  So a subtle shot at Herbert.  I mean Herbert puts up stats, but is he really a franchise QB?  Guy doesn't win games.  Mike Williams wasn't lying about that.

30 minutes ago, NickButera said:

He didn’t aggressively move up for a QB, Herbert fell into his lap. He didn’t even want Herbert, he wanted Tua. Look at his draft history and free agent signings, then look at them making the playoffs 3/11 years despite having a top tier QB in place, there’s a reason they fired him. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He didn’t aggressively move up for a QB, Herbert fell into his lap. He didn’t even want Herbert, he wanted Tua. Look at his draft history and free agent signings, then look at them making the playoffs 3/11 years despite having a top tier QB in place, there’s a reason they fired him. 

So, we shouldn't give credit to GMs who draft great players simply because they like other players more? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NickButera said:

So, we shouldn't give credit to GMs who draft great players simply because they like other players more? 

An 11 year sample size of someone failing to build a contending team with a top tier QB in place is enough for me to doubt that they won't be able to do it when they don't have a QB and there really isn't a path for them to get one.

Just now, NYRaider said:

An 11 year sample size of someone failing to build a contending team with a top tier QB in place is enough for me to doubt that they won't be able to do it when they don't have a QB and there really isn't a path for them to get one.

Why did everyone agree the chargers had a contending team until their coach took them on the field? Does coaching have no part of that equation? Does the way a team performs as a unit fall squarely on the GM?

You're making some huge slippery slopes here. None of them logical.

• Like 6

Just now, NickButera said:

Why did everyone agree the chargers had a contending team until their coach took them on the field? Does coaching have no part of that equation? Does the way a team performs as a unit fall squarely on the GM?

You're making some huge slippery slopes here. None of them logical.

Who hired the coaches? What matters more, the media's opinion on a team or how they actually perform on the field?

What about Telesco's tenure in LA gives you confidence he can build an elite team?

I guess I view it differently.  Telesco identified talent and built a talented roster imo.  The fact that they failed on the field in true Charger fashion isn't really his fault.  I would put way more blame on the coaches, players, and injuries than on the roster talent level.  

I also don't put the coaches hiring blame on him as much either, because Spanos is a controlling owner in that way.

I don't know that Telesco and AP for that matter will turn the Raiders around.  They seem to be off to a logical start though and I have no reason to complain.

We still have a long long way to go to be good, let alone a contender.  Now is the time of year to give them a chance to make their moves.  For better or worse, they are our guys for at least 18 months and that means the wheels fell off. 

Let's give them some time at least.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, true2form said:

I guess I view it differently.  Telesco identified talent and built a talented roster imo.  The fact that they failed on the field in true Charger fashion isn't really his fault.  I would put way more blame on the coaches, players, and injuries than on the roster talent level.  

I also don't put the coaches hiring blame on him as much either, because Spanos is a controlling owner in that way.

I

This gets glossed over so much it's nauseating. It's already come out that Telesco didn't have say over coaching hires. 

Also, the amount of injuries they sustained in 2022 and 2023 was almost unprecedented.

https://boltbeat.com/posts/chargers-injury-report-week-4-raiders

Then to ignore the impact of their terrible coaching..... It's laughable to brush all this aside and/or straight up blame Telesco for it.

I don't know if we'll be successful with him either. But I'm not obtuse enough to ignore all this. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, true2form said:

I don't know that Telesco and AP for that matter will turn the Raiders around.  They seem to be off to a logical start though and I have no reason to complain.

We still have a long long way to go to be good, let alone a contender.  Now is the time of year to give them a chance to make their moves.  For better or worse, they are our guys for at least 18 months and that means the wheels fell off. 

Let's give them some time at least.

The bolded.  They've yet to do anything that I've disagreed with.  Or anything that doesn't make sense to me.