2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

3 hours ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

This is why I think the pick may still end up being Ward, who could have a real argument for BPA depending on how the draft plays out in the first eight picks. Denzel Ward is going to be really good, and he plays at a premium position. I'm as excited about d!ck sherman as the next guy, but he is not a long-term solution. Ward could be, and if you can get a pro-bowl level long term solution at CB (what I believe Ward will be in the NFL) at the #9 pick, you could do a hell of a lot worse.

IDK about Ward being a top flight starting CB on the outside@his size. He reminds me of a more polished version of Verrett@ this point. He could end up being the next Chris Harris, Jr clone but its very debatable. I think he'll be a excellent slot CB. He'll be able to run with virtually any slot WR and his movement skills are crazy. But I'm just not certain about him being a top flight starter on the outside@the next level like I was Lattimore. And if you're taking him@9, he needs to be a sure bet there. But as a slot guy, he's one of the better ones to come along. I think he'll thrive in the slot as a pro.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

IDK about Ward being a top flight starting CB on the outside@his size. He reminds me of a more polished version of Verrett@ this point. He could end up being the next Chris Harris, Jr clone but its very debatable. I think he'll be a excellent slot CB. He'll be able to run with virtually any slot WR and his movement skills are crazy. But I'm just not certain about him being a top flight starter on the outside@the next level like I was Lattimore. And if you're taking him@9, he needs to be a sure bet there. But as a slot guy, he's one of the better ones to come along. I think he'll thrive in the slot as a pro.

Verrett is a really good cornerback when healthy though. If you're talking about a more polished, healthier version of him, that's a really good player. I don't think that comparison comps off as poorly as you may have been intending lol. 

The question I have about Ward is this - are you wasting his talent in a zone heavy scheme? You can find some pretty solid zone specific corners later in the draft (and still sitting in free agency). He's no doubt the best corner in this draft to me. He's sticky man coverage type. But is that going to waste in our scheme? 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Ward is an outside corner. How much did he play in the slot anyways? Sure he lacks some size, but he has very good coverage ability on the outside. Really physical for his size and has elite speed. 

He struggled with taller WRs somewhat. I just see his size being taken advantage of and limiting him to being moved inside in multiple WRs sets. Like I said he reminds me alot of Verrett in that way.

On another note, every time I watch Jaylen Samuels he looks like a perfect fit for this offense. When Shanny was asked about McKinnon he said he really should be listed as a position-less player because his versatility allows him to play all over the field. Well that described Samuels perfectly. Kid has played RB, FB, TE, H-Back, Wildcat QB...he's played all over the field. He would be such a versatile piece for Shanny's scheme. Great hands and a excellent receiver out the backfield or spread out wide. He's like a bigger version of McKinnon. He could back up McKinnon and Juice simultaneously. Kid is a heck of a talent and just seems tailor-made to be a Niner.

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I wouldn't trade up for Chubb because he's not a good enough pass rusher IMO. He rushes better from the edge than Thomas, but not better than Landry who should be available at #9. 

@big9erfan as for Ward trying CB, Maiocco thinks it's only for the offseason until Sherman gets healthy and then he will be moved back to FS. Looking at our roster, we really do lack corners for OTAs, minicamp, etc. 

Actually agree with this. Have been on record for a while now that I wasn't sure I loved the fit for him for what we need. I just don't know that he's exactly what we would want. Believe it or not, Im actually in line with J here - most know how I feel about Landry, but I'd rather take him at 9 than give up a high asset to move up for a guy who probably has a comparable ceiling (think chubb has a much higher floor), and may not be the best fit. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The question I have about Ward is this - are you wasting his talent in a zone heavy scheme? You can find some pretty solid zone specific corners later in the draft (and still sitting in free agency). He's no doubt the best corner in this draft to me. He's sticky man coverage type. But is that going to waste in our scheme? 

That was my other reservation with taking him@9. He really should be in a man heavy scheme to bring out his best attributes.

Verrett when healthy is damn good outside corner. Ward hardly ever gets beat and is damn near always in good position to make the play. Elite speed/quickness to go along with nice physicality will make him successful on the next level. Ward is the real deal.....As is Oliver. Those are the two corners I want the most. 

But this draft has a lot of corners that I like. Alexander/Jackson/Hughes/Davis and Tolliver is interesting in the 3rd round range. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Verrett when healthy is damn good outside corner. Ward hardly ever gets beat and is damn near always in good position to make the play. Elite speed/quickness to go along with nice physicality will make him successful on the next level. Ward is the real deal.....As is Oliver. Those are the two corners I want the most. 

Are you not a fan of Josh Jackson? I think he could excel in a zone scheme 

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

He struggled with taller WRs somewhat. I just see his size being taken advantage of and limiting him to being moved inside in multiple WRs sets. Like I said he reminds me alot of Verrett in that way.

On another note, every time I watch Jalen Samuels he looks like a perfect fit for this offense. When Shanny was asked about McKinnon he said he really should be listed as a position-less player because his versatility allows him to play all over the field. Well that described Samuels perfectly. Kid has played RB, FB, TE, H-Back, Wildcat QB...he's played all over the field. He would be such a versatile piece for Shanny's scheme. Great hands and a excellent receiver out the backfield or spread out wide. He's like a bigger version of McKinnon. He could back up McKinnon and Juice simultaneously. Kid is a heck of a talent and just seems tailor-made to be a Niner.

Please yes more talk about Samuels. If Shannahan really loves multi purpose weapons he'll be high on our list. 

1 minute ago, N4L said:

I like Ward/Oliver better as they are better in man coverage. But Jackson is definitely a nice fit for a zone scheme. I'd say a team that runs even more zone coverage than us will suit him better. 

1 minute ago, N4L said:

We are one of the few that he makes a lot of sense for - Tampa, us, Seattle, Carolina, Buffalo. Not sure how many other teams run our scheme specific. Problem is, I don't like him enough to take him at 9 (not nearly enough frankly), and he's not there at the end of round 2. He's in no man's land for us. 

Archived