2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

2 minutes ago, JerseyNiner said:

Maiocco just released another mock with Minkah as the pick fwiw

Is this one his "official" one? I know the one earlier he said was not his official "hold me to it" mock. 

Apparently Joe Fann has the same top 3 most likely to be drafted by us that I do lol. I like the way he thinks. 

He also notes that we gave 12 players Pro Bowl grades. That's surreal. 

He also thinks if Nelson does fall to 9, we would take him over any of the defensive talent available. First time I have heard that. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Is this one his "official" one? I know the one earlier he said was not his official "hold me to it" mock. 

Yea I saw that earlier too....this was the complete first round one I guess as he gives no commentary outside of his thoughts on each pick 

9, 49ERS: DB Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama
Versatile. High character. Great leader. Jimmie Ward and Jaquiski Tartt are both entering the final year of their contracts. He fits an immediate need, too. What’s not to like about this pick? With Reuben Foster’s status being uncertain, either Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds would make a lot of sense, too.

17 minutes ago, JerseyNiner said:

Yea I saw that earlier too....this was the complete first round one I guess as he gives no commentary outside of his thoughts on each pick 

9, 49ERS: DB Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama
Versatile. High character. Great leader. Jimmie Ward and Jaquiski Tartt are both entering the final year of their contracts. He fits an immediate need, too. What’s not to like about this pick? With Reuben Foster’s status being uncertain, either Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds would make a lot of sense, too.

Hmm someone has been saying this for min. I think S is a bigger need than fans want to admit. I think James is an option too...though he probably won't make it to our pick.

58 minutes ago, John232 said:

If we go OT at 9...much less him..kill me now. 

That's how I feel about safety. If we draft either Fitz or James Im gonna lose it. Im not enamored with either of them. I just feel like Colbert showed more than enough promise as as a rookie. And with Tartt, Ward, and possibly Reid coming back, there's enough talent there already. Its the position I'm the LEAST concerned about heading into the new season. Even more so than Jimmy G. And I don't think Fitz or James succeeds@CB in the pros. They both look and play like safeties IMO.

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

That's how I feel about safety. If we draft either Fitz or James Im gonna lose it. Im not enamored with either of them. I just feel like Colbert showed more than enough promise as as a rookie. And with Tartt, Ward, and possibly Reid coming back, there's enough talent there already. Its the position I'm the LEAST concerned about heading into the new season. Even more so than Jimmy G. And I don't think Fitz or James succeeds@CB in the pros. They both look and play like safeties IMO.

Well, if we draft either, I assume that we can pretty much put the kabosh on Reid coming back. They've made it seem like Ward is back to corner, and honestly, he wasn't all that good at safety. Colbert was solid, if unspectacular there last year, and it's still a small sample size from a 7th round choice. Ward and Tartt are also free agents heading into next year. This could be a set up where Minkah plays a swiss army knife position this year (slot, outside, safety), then settles into the FS role next year with Colbert shifting over to SS and Tartt out the door (this would surprise me given what we have heard about the staff loving Tartt, but it's certainly on the table). Minkah bothers me less in this regard because he does play corner. Whether he can play the boundary is an unknown, of course. 

Just now, JerseyNiner said:

Mike Mayock has us taking Denzel in his live final mock

Meh, don't see that happening. Scheme and player profile. Obviously I could be wrong, and he's certainly worth that selection, but as I said previously, waste of his talents for us to take him. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Meh, don't see that happening. Scheme and player profile. Obviously I could be wrong, and he's certainly worth that selection, but as I said previously, waste of his talents for us to take him. 

Yea I think he’s worth the selection and his size gets knocked too much but not a perfect fit. I’m still on the Roquan train even in light of the Foster update 

1 minute ago, JerseyNiner said:

Yea I think he’s worth the selection and his size gets knocked too much but not a perfect fit. I’m still on the Roquan train even in light of the Foster update 

The most important thing is that he didn't mock McGlinchey. What this makes me think is that Minkah may be the guy. He had been number 3 on my earlier list, but I may have to move him up to #1 and move the others down. 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

The most important thing is that he didn't mock McGlinchey. What this makes me think is that Minkah may be the guy. He had been number 3 on my earlier list, but I may have to move him up to #1 and move the others down. 

McGlinchey is the only guy mocked to us that I would truly be disappointed with 

25 minutes ago, JerseyNiner said:

Mike Mayock has us taking Denzel in his live final mock

Id be thrilled. He's one of only a handful our guys that i see as elite prospects. I'm not convinced he'd be our pick but i would love if he was.

Archived