2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

There are some that bug me, I'll admit. Others are just stupid. But a lot could be in interpretation. I didn't see them all, either. I think it could potentially lead to some issues with teammates, that is for sure. But I also think that there's a good chance that this is something that is all but forgotten in 4 months and never brought up again until another pre-draft dirty laundry airing. 

A couple of things though - why does a 16/17 year old farm boy of no consequence (let's remember, he wasn't a big name recruit) even have a twitter account? And 2, how has he not fired his agent yet? If you're not smart enough to deactivate your previous social media or go back through and delete posts, your agent definitely should be. Total fail on the part of his agent. 

Lol yeah my first thought was how did his agent not clear Everything. To me it looks bad but if I'm a GM and I loved him 2 days...nothing should change today. Just more PR press to deal with. 

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

So if Baker goes 1 to browns, Giants go Dornald, Jets go Rosen I would guess bills will try to get to 4 for Allen if the browns don't stay put. Alot of great D talents will get pushed down. I'm praying for 4 QBs taken in top 5.

Yeah, if they go Mayfield, I think there's a good shot we get Mayfield / Darnold / Rosen. After that, it becomes interesting, because if I'm the Bills, I may sit and gamble for a minute. Not a lot of teams have the firepower to get to #4. #5 could be an option, but if Cleveland takes Barkley, rumor is that Denver loves Chubb and they will take him there. They'd like to trade out, and maybe I'd put in a feeler to see if they would take a discount just to move, but if I'm Buffalo, I probably wait until Indy to make my move. 

5 minutes ago, Geek said:

So if the Jimmy trade didn't happen and we were picking number two who is our pick?

I still like Rosen a lot so I'd advocate for him.

See, much like some are rubbed the wrong way by Mayfield, Rosen really annoys me. 

So very glad we have Garoppolo! Best case scenario fell into our lap, IMO. Thanks Bill! :D

My dream scenarios:

1. Josh Rosen or Josh Allen fall to #9 and a trade war ensues between the Dolphins, Bills, Cardinals, Chargers, Patriots, and Saints. With so many teams bidding, we have a good chance at getting more than what our pick costs.

2. Packers are rumored to want to make a big splash and could trade up for a big-time defender. We trade back with them and pick up an extra 2 or 3, depending on how desperate they are or if we package another pick.

3. No want ones to play with us and we have to stay at #9. If this happens, I'm looking at Landry first, then Ward, Smith, or Fitzpatrick.

I would be very unhappy if we picked Edmunds or McGlinchey over everyone else.

18 minutes ago, Geek said:

So if the Jimmy trade didn't happen and we were picking number two who is our pick?

I still like Rosen a lot so I'd advocate for him.

I think it would have been Darnold. Just a little bit more athleticism for Shanny to move him around on roll outs and the like. Rosen would have been an ideal match (jimmy G like) for the short and intermediate throws though. But Darnold has the higher ceiling, and obviously the likelihood that Rosen would have grated on Shanny is bigger lol

8 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

If Darnold was available i would 100% want him. 

I would too, with the understanding that he would need to sit for a year and clean up the turnovers. He tried to be Superman all the time and it didn't always work out in his favor. He would do well to live within the confines of a scheme and watch a veteran for half a season or more. So glad we aren't at the mercy of Cleveland AGAIN

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

My dream scenarios:

1. Josh Rosen or Josh Allen fall to #9 and a trade war ensues between the Dolphins, Bills, Cardinals, Chargers, Patriots, and Saints. With so many teams bidding, we have a good chance at getting more than what our pick costs.

2. Packers are rumored to want to make a big splash and could trade up for a big-time defender. We trade back with them and pick up an extra 2 or 3, depending on how desperate they are or if we package another pick.

3. No want ones to play with us and we have to stay at #9. If this happens, I'm looking at Landry first, then Ward, Smith, or Fitzpatrick.

I would be very unhappy if we picked Edmunds or McGlinchey over everyone else.

There are a lot of rumors out there for trades. Obviously the quarterback market will dictate a lot of that, but packers are rumored to love Ward and looking to move up. If Cleveland trades out of 4, I coudl see them want to get back in to that 8-10 range to ensure Ward as well. The saints are said to be looking to make a big move up. There may be some options for us. 

17 hours ago, Forge said:

Here's the problem with Barkley in a trade if he's available to me - he's a running back. Plain and simple. I don't see anyone ponying up the draft capital 10 or more spots down the line (maybe even 7 or more down the line) to trade up for a running back unless it's at a premium discount. Jumping from 20 to 9 would probably require a first, a second, next year's second (or this years 3/4). And as great as he is...barkley is still a running back. You typically don't see huge moves like that for a position other than QB. The Dolphins made it for Jordan (10 spots into the top 3, I believe), but they got an insane discount (just a second round pick). The Falcons famously did it for Julio, and of course we did it for JJ stokes way back in the day. But it's definitely more exception based. 

So at that point, I think you have to look in the immediate area of our draft. #10, the Raiders. Could definitely use Barkley, but Gruden seems intent on moving down and not up because he sees multiple holes on the team. #11 to the Dolphins? Eh...Drake looked good last year, signed Gore...but a lot of holes, particularly on defense, offensive line, and they may be in teh market for the quarterback. #12 may be the sweet spot - particularly if this is the browns. Yes, they signed Hyde and have Johnson...but would they be willing to make the move, or would they be more interested in Ward if he was there?  They have the draft capital, they would be a legit contender...but the return on that? Eh. The money spot would have to be Washington at 13. But we are only moving 4 spots. Now, we can be awesome at extricating value in trade. Problem though - the difference in picks is really only about a third rounder. Washington doesn't have one. Which also means that they are already working with limited capital this year for the draft. So would we settle for #13, a fourth this year and third next year? Would they be willing to have even less draft capital than they already have? I don't know. But I don't think the value in trade there for Barkley is as great as one would think. I think after Washington, you have GB, which seems unlikely to make that move (though new gm, who knows). Arizona is out. Baltimore? I mean Collins was pretty solid last year. 17 is the chargers, they are out...and after that, I simply think it's too big of a jump for most teams. 

That's an interesting take. He's likely to go 2nd or 4th. In years without a great QB he could conceivable go first. But no one would offer us a decent package to move up to 9 to get him?

But I agree with your reasoning which is why I asked. I just would not spend a 2 or 4 on a RB. I might spend a 9 on one, but I would sure as heck consider a great offer to trade down if someone made one to get him. There are few "bell cow" type RBs any more. The league is more of a RB by committee style these days. But even if a team went the route of a "bell cow" type back the longevity of those kind of backs is not great. Once you start wracking up 300+ touches per games you start getting beat up so bac you are shortening your career. So if I could get the second best RB plus another high pick to fill another need I'd probably do that rather than use a really high pick on a RB.

Archived