2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

2 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

SAM makes much more sense than a WILL if you look at the holes in our roster but if we plan on having our SAM as a 2 down player is it worth it? Also I'm not sure if Leighton Vander Esch or Derwin James aren't better than those two you mentioned. 

I agree with this premise for the most part. Its the same reason I've never been a huge fan of using a top 12 pick on a NT. If they're only playing half the defensive snaps, is it worth it? I'd rather have a big time WILL than a big time SAM. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I agree with this premise for the most part. Its the same reason I've never been a huge fan of using a top 12 pick on a NT. If they're only playing half the defensive snaps, is it worth it? I'd rather have a big time WILL than a big time SAM. 

Right, but as defenses get more creative and if players have the athleticism for it we could see a SAM as a more common 3 down player (Shaq Thompson or Bruce Irvin). Nose Tackles as long as they arent in coverage like Earl Mitchell was a few times I dont mind in 3rd downs, especially 3rd and 6 or less. 

17 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I wonder with the rumors that Denver is signing Cousins an indication that they will go after Nelson, and we'll miss out? I mean who knows, he could go even higher...

If they sign cousins, I do believe the guy they'd target would be Nelson. Makes the most sense

3 hours ago, StevenK said:

I wonder with the rumors that Denver is signing Cousins an indication that they will go after Nelson, and we'll miss out? I mean who knows, he could go even higher...

Meh, Cousins has alot of options. I cant see him hitching his wagons to Denver this early in the process.  Minny, Jax and Arizona could all be viable landing spots for him. Depending on what they do with Talib, they could also be in the market for a CB with their pick as well. Still way too early to tell...

11 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Meh, Cousins has alot of options. I cant see him hitching his wagons to Denver this early in the process.  Minny, Jax and Arizona could all be viable landing spots for him. Depending on what they do with Talib, they could also be in the market for a CB with their pick as well. Still way too early to tell...

Jax seems to be rolling with Bortles and is already out on Cousins per Rapoport. 

Removing Talib from the equation damages their CB position, but they would still have Harris and Roby as their starters...they are sitll pretty good there. Can't see them adding a third corner with a top 5 pick at that point. 

4 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Landry is one of the many guys I've heard absolutely nothing about recently that I think might surprise people. 

I messed up and had Clelin Ferrell to the packers at 14, it's now Landry.

Landry's ability as a pass rusher is for real. Not sure about his size against the run, but I think resume and ability alone he should be going to one of the teams in the teens that need a pass rusher. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

I messed up and had Clelin Ferrell to the packers at 14, it's now Landry.

Landry's ability as a pass rusher is for real. Not sure about his size against the run, but I think resume and ability alone he should be going to one of the teams in the teens that need a pass rusher. 

I'd be very surprised if Landry is picked in the top round... I think there's a better chance that he goes in the third round than I do that he goes in the first (which means I basically think that he'll go in round 2 lol) 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd be very surprised if Landry is picked in the top round... I think there's a better chance that he goes in the third round than I do that he goes in the first (which means I basically think that he'll go in round 2 lol) 

I keep scratching my head with Landry. I originally had Davenport going to Green Bay, but Davenport has been trash with off-season activity.  Landry...in my mind hasn't done anything to really demote himself from the #2 spot behind Chubb. Where he goes is going to largely be based on feel. If teams feels he can be a OLB in a 3-4 or some hybrid scheme, then I don't know that he drops past Detroit, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England (who I have taking Hubbard at 32) or even Jacksonville. 

LIke I said, i'm all over the place in predicting where edge guys are dropping. My thing is, I just don't think Davenport should be a first round pick. I think Landry and Key are better players right now and if you desperately need pass rush (which GB does) you invest in one of these guys. 

But yeah, who knows. Doing this huge mock more as a starting bench mark, pretty pointless given where are in the off-season. 

Archived