2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just from general consensus I've seen in various mocks is that he's more of a guy that is in play in middle to late round 2. Not sure though

I wasn't suggesting him as a first rounder, by the way. If we could get him in the second, it would be very interesting. 

And yeah, about Landry, he doesn't show a punch at all. It's hard to tell if he has any sort of upper body strength. I meant overall, he has a good body type, and seems to have good leg strength. And that's a start. It's up to the talent evaluators in place to judge whether he's coachable. The upper body strength can be increased through professional strength and conditioning. The punch, hand placement and moves can be taught through coaching. There's some potential there, I believe, but I don't know if he has any capacity to reach it. 

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just from general consensus I've seen in various mocks is that he's more of a guy that is in play in middle to late round 2. Not sure though

Yea that’s the earliest I’ve heard him mentioned which seems weird for a guy who checks so many boxes

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

*hot take*

Vander Esch is better than Smith and Edmunds.  

Amazing timing.  I was just reading up on him a bit yesterday but hadn't gotten around to looking at any of his highlights yet.  HI understand that highlight reels are meant to show a guy at his best, and still all I can say about his one is "Wow".  Every other game or so Willis would make a tackle that you could put into a clip and use it to show young guys to tackle.  This guy has some of those kind of tackles in this vid. I'm gonna try to find more of it to see if this is how he plays all the time.

48 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Amazing timing.  I was just reading up on him a bit yesterday but hadn't gotten around to looking at any of his highlights yet.  HI understand that highlight reels are meant to show a guy at his best, and still all I can say about his one is "Wow".  Every other game or so Willis would make a tackle that you could put into a clip and use it to show young guys to tackle.  This guy has some of those kind of tackles in this vid. I'm gonna try to find more of it to see if this is how he plays all the time.

100% He's insane I didnt catch on until late in the year but I'm sure his hype is justified. I watched an interview with him and he's very well spoken yet a true blue football guy with all the physical measurables he's so intriguing. 

1 hour ago, GoLDRuSh47 said:

Is size that much of a concern with Ridley that he isn’t being mocked to the Niners? 

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

Bigger needs than wide receiver is all.

Size, age, drops, more talented receivers...there are a number of things probably

13 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Size, age, drops, more talented receivers...there are a number of things probably

Age and lack of elite skillset / measurables is what kills it for me.  I don't view any wr in this draft worth a top ten pick

Just now, Forge said:

Age and lack of elite skillset / measurables is what kills it for me.  I don't view any wr in this draft worth a top ten pucj

I think James Washington could be...probably not in this draft where the top 10 could have 5 QBs

4 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Not even. Watched him exclusively when UVA played Boise St....very underwhelming. Did not impress me at all. Edmunds tape is profoundly better. 

So this games on youtube and it took less than 30 minutes to watch every defensive snap, and yes Virginia beat the hell out of Boise. Benkert was throwing freaking laser beams holy cow he was on a level. But Vander Esch still made plays and was all over the field (I did count 2 missed tackles), He and Edmunds are more similar than Smith based off their physical profile and the type of player youre projecting them to be but Edmunds played in a scheme that moved him around on the edge a fair amount, I almost never saw Vander Esch there he's always stacked in the box as a Mike backer. Different schemes highlight different traits so I guess you could be right Edmunds tape is better (especially if you just watch the virginia *** kicking) but I still like Vander Esch more from the angles he takes to the speed he's able to diagnose plays at 6'4 240. 

2 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

So this games on youtube and it took less than 30 minutes to watch every defensive snap, and yes Virginia beat the hell out of Boise. Benkert was throwing freaking laser beams holy cow he was on a level. But Vander Esch still made plays and was all over the field (I did count 2 missed tackles), He and Edmunds are more similar than Smith based off their physical profile and the type of player youre projecting them to be but Edmunds played in a scheme that moved him around on the edge a fair amount, I almost never saw Vander Esch there he's always stacked in the box as a Mike backer. Different schemes highlight different traits so I guess you could be right Edmunds tape is better (especially if you just watch the virginia *** kicking) but I still like Vander Esch more from the angles he takes to the speed he's able to diagnose plays at 6'4 240. 

He was unable to get off blocks repeatedly. We had a RS Fr Center, playing out of position, that put him on his back more than once. Yea he flows to the ball well and he seems athletic but when our O-Line was able to square him up, he was neturalized. As much as ragged on Edmunds and his lack of physicality at times, he is much more adapt at stack n shed or slipping blocks than Vaner Esch. And our O-Line was far from The Hogs or anything of the sort. We had no maulers or guys who were truly physically dominate or gifted. They were pretty patheic the whole year so to see him not really stand out against them soured me on him. I think in the right scheme, like Zimmer's he could be an effective OLB. I just dont see a Mike at the pro level. Now granted I didn't see him again the rest of the year but I didn't see enough from him to where I felt I needed a second look.

Archived