Moretti's New Years Mock

moretti19

I hope everyone has a safe New Year. It has been fun watching this year's Packer's team and there is a lot to be excited about.

Week 17: Loss Minn

Week 18: Loss Chi

Green Bay finishes 7 - 10

Defensive Coordinator:

Joe Barry is let go and the Packers bring in.....

Joe Rossi, Minnesota

Joe-Rossi.png?fit=2560,1440&ssl=1

Minnesota isn’t landing elite blue-chip recruits, which makes the results Rossi is producing all the more impressive. The Gophers were No. 4 nationally in scoring defense in 2022 (13.8 ppg.) and 6th in 2021 (17.3). In 2022, Minnesota was also 6th nationally in 3rd-down defense (28.7%).

Leaving:

Yosh Nijman

Darnell Savage

David Bakhitiari

Dallin Leavitt

AJ Dillon

Justin Hollins

Eric Wilson

Josiah Deguara

Zanyne Anderson

John Runyan

Keisean Nixon

Resign:

Rudy Ford

Free Agents:

JK Dobbins on a 1 year prove it deal:

Dobbins is a top talent when healthy. We take a flier on low-risk high reward. 

nfl-jk-dobbins-ravens-contract-salary-be

NFL Draft: Greenbay picks #8 in the 2024 NFL Draft

• 1st

Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami.Previously: 9 Avg. 10.4 per 20
12/27/23: In 2023, Kinchens totaled 59 tackles, five interceptions and five passes batted. He declared for the 2024 NFL Draft and opted out of the bowl game. Kinchens put together a superb game against Texas A&M with an interception, a fumble recovery and seven tackles. He was carted off the field late in that contest with a head/neck injury, but after missing a few games, he came back to the field versus Georgia Tech.

08/29/23: Kinchens was one of the best safeties in college football in 2022, putting together a stellar season in Miami. He totaled six interceptions, five passes defended and 59 tackles on the year. For the NFL, Kinchens is a true single deep free safety. He can line up deep downfield, diagnose routes, read the eyes of the quarterback, and shut down completions deep down the field. He has the speed to get from the middle of the field to the sideline with excellent diagnosis and route-recognition skills. On top of being a dynamic zone-coverage safety, Kinchens is a solid and willing run defender. Team sources say Kinchens is a stud on and off the field, so he is already receiving good evaluations for character.

Kinchens-Kamren-Alamy-scaled.jpg?w=956&h

• 2nd (via New York Jets)
  • Florida State image Keon Coleman*, WR, Florida State
  • Height: 6-4. Weight: 215.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.51.
    Projected Round (2024): 1-2.

12/30/23: In 2023, Coleman totaled 50 catches of 658 yards and 11 touchdowns. The 6-foot-4, 215-pounder has good size with quickness, athleticism, and excellent ball skills. In 2022 for Michigan State, he recorded 58 receptions for 798 yards and seven touchdowns while playing. Coleman opened the 2023 season, and his career as a Seminole, with a monster game of nine catches for 122 yards and three touchdowns versus LSU. Coleman also got the better of a future NFL corner in Wake Forest’s Caelen Carson in their matchup.

Team sources have said Coleman moves well for a big wideout and presents size-mismatch problems. He could be a No. 1 receiver in the NFL.

florida-state-star-keon-coleman-makes-nf

2nd Troy Fautanu*, G/OT, Washington
Height: 6-4. Weight: 317.
Projected 40 Time: 5.10.
Projected Round (2024): 1-2.

12/9/23: Fautanu has been a very reliable and steady left tackle for Michael Penix Jr. this season. Fautanu became the starting left tackle in 2022 and has been a consistent contributor for Washington. Multiple NFL team sources say they like Fautanu and see him as an early-rounder. Some project him as a second-round pick for the 2024 NFL Draft with a potential move to guard because of length limitations. Pro evaluators like Fautanu’s athleticism. He moves well on the edge while having some quickness and strength in his build.

11295207.jpg

• 3rd
Miami image Matt Lee, C/G, Miami
Height: 6-4. Weight: 295.
Projected 40 Time: 5.20.
Projected Round (2024): 2-3.

12/9/23: Lee spent four seasons at Central Florida before transferring to Miami. He has quality size and is a well-rounded blocker. He was very good in pass protection and a solid run blocker for the Knights. That trend has continued in 2023 for Miami. Lee could be a riser if he performs well at an all-star game and in pre-draft workouts.

Matt-Lee-Photo-by-Neil-Gershman.jpg

• 3rd (via Buffalo Bills)
LSU image Jordan Jefferson*, NT, LSU
Height: 6-4. Weight: 317.
Projected 40 Time: 5.10.
Projected Round (2024): 2-3.

12/16/23: The big and strong nose tackle Jefferson has impressed team evaluators with his play this year. The senior from Navarre, Florida has been a tough run defender in the middle of the defensive line for the Tigers. He has 35 tackles, 1.5 sacks and pass defended this season. As junior, he recorded three sacks and 31 tackles. Jefferson has good size for the NFL and could be a physical interior defender as a pro.

USATSI_21595175.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

• 4th

Michigan State image Cal Haladay*, ILB/OLB, Michigan State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 235.
Projected 40 Time: 4.69.
Projected Round (2024): 3-5.

12/16/23: In 2023, Haladay had 91 tackles, an interception, a sack and two passes broken up.

8/19/23: Haladay was a productive defenders for the Spartans during the past two seasons, notching a lot of stops on ball-carriers. In 2022, Haladay amassed 120 tackles, 1.5 sacks and one forced fumble. Showing good pass-coverage ability with movement skills and speed will be critical for Haladay to rise in 2023.

Q5SHNREILNAHREU7KPTYEOSBA4.jpg

• 5th (traded to Buffalo Bills)
  • 6th

South Florida image Nay'Quan Wright, RB, South Florida
Height: 5-9. Weight: 196.
Projected 40 Time: 4.56.
Projected Round (2024): 4-6.

12/30/23: In 2023, Wright averaged 4.4 yards per carry for 797 yards and eight touchdowns.

230909-FBvFAMU1360.jpg

• 7th

Boston College image Pat Garwo III, RB, Boston College
Height: 5-8. Weight: 214.
Projected 40 Time: 4.55.
Projected Round (2024): FA.

12/30/23: Garwo averaged 5.2 yards per carry in 2023 for 270 yards and a touchdown.

8/19/23: Garwo flashed some ability in 2021 with an average of 5.1 yards per carry for 1,045 yards and seven touchdowns. While his rushing production declined in 2022, he did well as a receiver with 29 catches for 241 yards.

AG8I8316.jpg

• Like 2

Love the effort. A few notes:

-You forgot to mention what happens to Ballentine. He's not a critical piece of the defense, but if you're losing Nixon and Douglas in a season, along with Ballentine, I would say we need a top 100 pick going toward CB. 

-I do like Dobbins as a upside signing. 

- I'll echo Victor's comment as well. I don't mind bringing in a depth piece at WR who can back up Watson, but I don't want to spend a top 50 pick on him. Wicks, Watson, Doubs, Reed have all earned their snaps. Melton looks like a great WR5. So Coleman is going to have a hard time getting on the field. He'd have to be a massive value to justify taking at that slot, and I think I'd rather trade down with a WR needy team and maneuver somewhere where the best player available is someone who can help this team.

-I really like taking two versatile offensive linemen early. Runyan is a free agent and Myers continues to struggle down the stretch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Love the effort. A few notes:

-You forgot to mention what happens to Ballentine. He's not a critical piece of the defense, but if you're losing Nixon and Douglas in a season, along with Ballentine, I would say we need a top 100 pick going toward CB. 

-I do like Dobbins as a upside signing. 

- I'll echo Victor's comment as well. I don't mind bringing in a depth piece at WR who can back up Watson, but I don't want to spend a top 50 pick on him. Wicks, Watson, Doubs, Reed have all earned their snaps. Melton looks like a great WR5. So Coleman is going to have a hard time getting on the field. He'd have to be a massive value to justify taking at that slot, and I think I'd rather trade down with a WR needy team and maneuver somewhere where the best player available is someone who can help this team.

-I really like taking two versatile offensive linemen early. Runyan is a free agent and Myers continues to struggle down the stretch.

The only RB I can think of that suffered an achilles injury / surgery who came back well was Cam Akers....but is he as good as he was?  Are there others?

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

The only RB I can think of that suffered an achilles injury / surgery who came back well was Cam Akers....but is he as good as he was?  Are there others?

Well my first thought was Willis McGahee. Injured in the 2002 national championship game. Went on to have a pretty productive career with the Ravens.

I feel like Adrian Peterson came back from some rough injuries too.

7 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Well my first thought was Willis McGahee. Injured in the 2002 national championship game. Went on to have a pretty productive career with the Ravens.

I feel like Adrian Peterson came back from some rough injuries too.

Yeah....but weren't they knee injuries? I remember seeing the McGahee injury. Didnt think a leg could bend that far and still stay attached.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2023 at 12:51 PM, moretti19 said:

I would continue to add as much talent as possible for Love. Coleman would bring a Watson type of presence to the field. 

While I would love to add weapons for Love and can envision Watson being consistently injured but that seems like a move we would make next year if Watson has another injury filled year. 

Instead of WR I would bump that OT selection up to make sure we got the BPA.  I would also look at CB, DL, IOL before WR this year. 

Edited by Victor1124

I did an NFLmockdraftdatabase mock just this minute. Although I mostly didn't pick the same players, I did pick many of the same positions as Moretti. My effort (with no trades) in rounds 1-4 is shown below. Comments are from Draft Buzz. (Packers have no rd5 pick).

Pick 19  CB Terrion Arnold 6'0", 196, 4.45 He’s tall-framed with long arms to match. With his powerful hands, straight-line speed, and fluidity in his hips, turning and chasing downfield shouldn’t be a problem. Instinctive, adept at reading routes and anticipating throws, and strong in zone coverage. Physical run supporter in the Antoine Winfield mold with short-area explosiveness to leave his mark on ballcarriers.

Pick 40 T/G  Graham Barton (Duke) 6'5", 314   In the run game, Barton explodes off the line of scrimmage and consistently gets out to the second level to do damage. Hand placement is excellent, and he shows a good understanding of angles when climbing upfield. I'm seeing mainly guard here.

Pick 52 S Kamren Kinchens (Miami) 6'0", 205, 4.45 Reads receivers' routes and anticipates throws at the first down marker. Covers a lot of ground in a hurry when in space. Reads the quarterback's eyes and sees the routes very quickly, then has straight-line speed to arrive with or just after the ball. He’s a willing and capable hitter in run support and closes fast to make plays against quick screens. A tough-minded overachiever.

Pick 83 RB Treveyon Henderson (Ohio St) 5'11", 212, 4.39 Surprised to see him this late - maybe the lingering foot injury caused him to slide. Flashes initial burst and good lateral quickness to sidestep defenders or bounce runs outside with very good foot quickness. Displays very good feel as an inside and outside runner with above average vision to make sharp cuts - good patience· and footwork to pick through defenses. Especially effective on fly sweeps. His passing game skills are strong. He’s a natural hands catcher who turns upfield quickly in the screen game, and he shows a great feel for setting up wheel routes.

Pick 88 C  Jackson Powers-Johnson (Oregon) 6'3", 320 Big dude for a center.  Quick out of his stance with the footwork to be effective in front of screens. Willing to get out in front of ballcarriers to take out defensive backs and linebackers. In the run game, he explodes off the line of scrimmage and consistently gets out to the second level to do damage. Probably the no.3 center in the draft (after Van Pran and Frazier).

Pick 120 ILB Tommy Eichenberg (Ohio St) 6'3", 239, 4.69. Can be used as a rangy run defender inside, instinctive when it comes to locating the ball with the quickness to get to it before blockers can react at the second level. He chases well in pursuit, and Eichenberg has the athleticism to play in space if asked to drop into coverage.

Pick 134 S Cole Bishop (Utah) 6'2", 207, 4.50. Has the fluid athleticism and speed to cover tight ends and maybe even some big slot receivers. Bishop has the ball skills to create turnovers. He also has value as a blitzer. Tracks the ball well downfield and has the innate feel for high-point passes. He’s willing to come up and fill against the run and seems to take pride in delivering violent hits in run support.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the DC, my choice (made a while back now) was Michigan DC Jesse Minter. Has history on defense with the Ravens and is under Jim Harbaugh as Michigan HC.

What did I miss on ? Would have liked a big NT like the 6'6", 315 lb Maason Smith (LSU)

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I did an NFLmockdraftdatabase mock just this minute. Although I mostly didn't pick the same players, I did pick many of the same positions as Moretti. My effort (with no trades) in rounds 1-4 is shown below. Comments are from Draft Buzz. (Packers have no rd5 pick).

Pick 19  CB Terrion Arnold 6'0", 196, 4.45 He’s tall-framed with long arms to match. With his powerful hands, straight-line speed, and fluidity in his hips, turning and chasing downfield shouldn’t be a problem. Instinctive, adept at reading routes and anticipating throws, and strong in zone coverage. Physical run supporter in the Antoine Winfield mold with short-area explosiveness to leave his mark on ballcarriers.

Pick 40 T/G  Graham Barton (Duke) 6'5", 314   In the run game, Barton explodes off the line of scrimmage and consistently gets out to the second level to do damage. Hand placement is excellent, and he shows a good understanding of angles when climbing upfield. I'm seeing mainly guard here.

Pick 52 S Kamren Kinchens (Miami) 6'0", 205, 4.45 Reads receivers' routes and anticipates throws at the first down marker. Covers a lot of ground in a hurry when in space. Reads the quarterback's eyes and sees the routes very quickly, then has straight-line speed to arrive with or just after the ball. He’s a willing and capable hitter in run support and closes fast to make plays against quick screens. A tough-minded overachiever.

Pick 83 RB Treveyon Henderson (Ohio St) 5'11", 212, 4.39 Surprised to see him this late - maybe the lingering foot injury caused him to slide. Flashes initial burst and good lateral quickness to sidestep defenders or bounce runs outside with very good foot quickness. Displays very good feel as an inside and outside runner with above average vision to make sharp cuts - good patience· and footwork to pick through defenses. Especially effective on fly sweeps. His passing game skills are strong. He’s a natural hands catcher who turns upfield quickly in the screen game, and he shows a great feel for setting up wheel routes.

Pick 88 C  Jackson Powers-Johnson (Oregon) 6'3", 320 Big dude for a center.  Quick out of his stance with the footwork to be effective in front of screens. Willing to get out in front of ballcarriers to take out defensive backs and linebackers. In the run game, he explodes off the line of scrimmage and consistently gets out to the second level to do damage. Probably the no.3 center in the draft (after Van Pran and Frazier).

Pick 120 ILB Tommy Eichenberg (Ohio St) 6'3", 239, 4.69. Can be used as a rangy run defender inside, instinctive when it comes to locating the ball with the quickness to get to it before blockers can react at the second level. He chases well in pursuit, and Eichenberg has the athleticism to play in space if asked to drop into coverage.

Pick 134 S Cole Bishop (Utah) 6'2", 207, 4.50. Has the fluid athleticism and speed to cover tight ends and maybe even some big slot receivers. Bishop has the ball skills to create turnovers. He also has value as a blitzer. Tracks the ball well downfield and has the innate feel for high-point passes. He’s willing to come up and fill against the run and seems to take pride in delivering violent hits in run support.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the DC, my choice (made a while back now) was Michigan DC Jesse Minter. Has history on defense with the Ravens and is under Jim Harbaugh as Michigan HC.

What did I miss on ? Would have liked a big NT like the 6'6", 315 lb Maason Smith (LSU)

Don't know much about your picks/players but really do like the positions .. that would work.