Finale GDT - Bears/Packers

beardown3231

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

One thing that really, really pissed me off about game itself I forgot to mention.

When Packers had ball on their own goal line and we played a really soft zone defense and gave them an easy 8 yard uncontested TE pass to Musgrave it was I believe.  

That was inexcusable.  Especially with way game was going.   You needed to be aggressive there.

That one had me fuming in real time.  

The whole game was like that. Love was 27/32 yesterday. Not to take anything away from him, because he certainly played well, but how many difficult throws did he have? 3? He was throwing to wide open guys all day both because we played super soft coverage all afternoon for some reason and because, strangely, when you utilize a diverse passing play call sheet instead of calling the same 7 plays over and over and over again, guys tend to get open. MLF looks like Mitch Trubisky’s cousin with ****** bro facial hair, but god dammit he’s an excellent offensive play caller and passing game designer.

*The filters apparently don’t like me relating MLF’s facial hair to that which you might find on a Summer’s Eve. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The whole game was like that. Love was 27/32 yesterday. Not to take anything away from him, because he certainly played well, but how many difficult throws did he have? 3? He was throwing to wide open guys all day both because we played super soft coverage all afternoon for some reason and because, strangely, when you utilize a diverse passing play call sheet instead of calling the same 7 plays over and over and over again, guys tend to get open. MLF looks like Mitch Trubisky’s cousin with ****** bro facial hair, but god dammit he’s an excellent offensive play caller and passing game designer.

*The filters apparently don’t like me relating MLF’s facial hair to that which you might find on a Summer’s Eve. 🤷‍♂️

That guy is a bloody handsome Vince Lombardi whenever he plays us.   Much more mortal against other teams.

Didn't really know where to post this..... Apparently the drive in to Halas Hall today was filled by fans with home made signs saying to resign Jaylon Johnson and keep Justin Fields (like those signs people use for political campaigns)

Regardless of opinions on how good those moves would or would not be (personally absolutely resign Jaylon, hell no on JF1), the sheer conviction fans seem to have on the situation can't be ignored by the staff. That chant last week, and the signs this week could very well have an impact.

There are going to be a lot of unhappy fans regardless of which road the team goes down, and it's only going to get worse as fans get more and more dug in on their positions. I'd add that timeline wise, if we did move on from Fields, it's probably going to be fairly late in the draft process, and much closer to the draft itself.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

Update.... Some guy with a twitter handle @jameistruther  (which actually gives me many more questions than answers in itself)

Just posted a video of himself removing all the JF1 signs, but leaving the Jaylon Johnson signs.  This offseason is gonna be amazing guys.... and I for one, am entertained.

giphy.gif

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

I was at my bowling league last night during the game.  One of my opponents is a packers fan.  I kicked butt last night so at least a Bears fan kicked a Packers fan butt.  I watched a little of the game there.  Hated the result so I deleted the game off my DVR.  Looking at the stats:  6 targets for Moore?  He had 9 receptions vs Atlanta for 159 and a TD.  Throw him the damn ball!!  Not to mention, having Moore this year, you'd think someone would step up and be a solid #2 WR.  Running game was bad.  25 carries for 75 yards between 3 players.   Just one sack.  I'm sick of losing to the packers, but not sick of crushing them on the lanes. 

37 minutes ago, Bowler1215 said:

I was at my bowling league last night during the game.  One of my opponents is a packers fan.  I kicked butt last night so at least a Bears fan kicked a Packers fan butt.  I watched a little of the game there.  Hated the result so I deleted the game off my DVR.  Looking at the stats:  6 targets for Moore?  He had 9 receptions vs Atlanta for 159 and a TD.  Throw him the damn ball!!  Not to mention, having Moore this year, you'd think someone would step up and be a solid #2 WR.  Running game was bad.  25 carries for 75 yards between 3 players.   Just one sack.  I'm sick of losing to the packers, but not sick of crushing them on the lanes. 

Fields had 0 passes in the 3rd quarter

He only threw it 16 times in all. It's hard to get any one pass catcher over 6 targets in that scenario. It's all a mess

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Fields had 0 passes in the 3rd quarter

He only threw it 16 times in all. It's hard to get any one pass catcher over 6 targets in that scenario. It's all a mess

I’ve never seen an NFL OC respond to pressure issues with his OL by just deciding not to pass at all. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’ve never seen an NFL OC respond to pressure issues with his OL by just deciding not to pass at all. 

He was hoping they were going to overplay the screen, then off to the races. And if it doesn't work once, try try for the whole ******* quarter.

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I only saw highlights, but in AL MI game MI was living in AL backfield in first half.  

Second half they were not.  I don’t know what they did different, but they obviously did something.  

It was not enough to win, but at least they adjusted otherwise game was over.  

• Like 1

In fairness to Fields and Getsy, that game was primarily lost by lack of physicality upfront on both sides of ball.  I am including entire front seven on defense in that.

WRs and DBs for most part were giving effort.  Big guys were not.  

Packers came out really fired up.  Bears did not.

Tale old as football, when one team is much more physical that team usually wins.  

But that is when as a coach you get in someone’s face.  You make some aggressive play calls.  You try to create some momentum.

You have to shake them up when there is lethargy or tightness. 

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

In fairness to Fields and Getsy, that game was primarily lost by lack of physicality upfront on both sides of ball.  I am including entire front seven on defense in that.

WRs and DBs for most part were giving effort.  Big guys were not.  

Packers came out really fired up.  Bears did not.

Tale old as football, when one team is much more physical that team usually wins.  

But that is when as a coach you get in someone’s face.  You make some aggressive play calls.  You try to create some momentum.

You have to shake them up when there is lethargy or tightness. 

This is a side effect of the scheme I think. Tries to run everything wide....it's a reactive finesse scheme and wants to be cute constantly to dance around people instead of just taking the ball wherever you want to go. 

I've never been a fan. Give me big mean maulers on the line. Give me a scheme that says "we're taking the yards we need, and we're taking them from wherever the hell we want on this field, stay out of our way or get run over, we don't care either way".... 

At least offensively, that is... The defensive line is a whole different can of worms. It needs more talent, but I'm not really of the opinion that we can afford to spend significant investment on it this offseason, when the offense needs a pretty massive overhaul. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Epyon said:

This is a side effect of the scheme I think. Tries to run everything wide....it's a reactive finesse scheme and wants to be cute constantly to dance around people instead of just taking the ball wherever you want to go. 

I've never been a fan. Give me big mean maulers on the line. Give me a scheme that says "we're taking the yards we need, and we're taking them from wherever the hell we want on this field, stay out of our way or get run over, we don't care either way".... 

At least offensively, that is... The defensive line is a whole different can of worms. It needs more talent, but I'm not really of the opinion that we can afford to spend significant investment on it this offseason, when the offense needs a pretty massive overhaul. 

This is where Shanahan excels.

35 minutes ago, Epyon said:

For me it was more an issue of lack of diversity in the run game. To my eye it seemed like about 2/3 of our designed runs this year were one of 3 plays:

-Zone read with the RB going right up the middle

-That awkward looking pitch play where it’s like a 2’ pitch to the RB 

-Designed Fields sweep, almost always to the short side for some reason

Last season our run package was far more diverse IMO. This year once we got outside the script it was like Getsy had Ron Turner’s Tecmo Bowl play call sheet. Once we were outside the script we were incredibly predictable on offense in all facets. Once we were beyond the script the majority of plays we made seemed to be ones where Fields made something out of nothing. 

• Like 2