BDL Discussion Thread 2024

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Are we combining their sacks in those seasons, too? Lol.

Why would we?   You want to use total sacks, Judon, you want to use double sack seasons, Judon for either. 

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

Why would we?   You want to use total sacks, Judon, you want to use double sack seasons, Judon for either. 

And if I want to use common sense, I go with Sweat because he's younger, better, and more productive at this stage of their careers. You're the one who brought up Gary.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Are we combining their sacks in those seasons, too? Lol.

I would hope that a guy who has played 2-3 more seasons and 40 more games has more sacks.

What.?   Judon has played 114 games, the sweat Gary duo has played 140.  Judon still has more double digit sack seasons that either or both of them combined

Individual sacks he has more than either of them the past three seasons

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

And if I want to use common sense, I go with Sweat because he's younger, better, and more productive at this stage of their careers. You're the one who brought up Gary.

You're the one who pointed out just Judon on the list

What.?   Judon has played 114 games, the sweat Gary duo has played 140.  Judon still has more double digit sack seasons that either or both of them combined

Individual sacks he has more than either of them the past three seasons

Oh, so we're using combined games when it's convenient for you, and individual stats when it's not? Lol.

You're the one who pointed out just Judon on the list

Yeah, because he doesn't deserve to be there, never has, and is VERY unlikely to change that at 32 coming off a season-ending injury.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Oh, so we're using combined games when it's convenient for you, and individual stats when it's not? Lol.

Yeah, because he doesn't deserve to be there, never has, and is VERY unlikely to change that at 32 coming off a season-ending injury.

Lol fine. Individually he has more sacks and more ten sack seasons than either of them since they entered the NFL

9 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Lol fine. Individually he has more sacks and more ten sack seasons than either of them since they entered the NFL

Because he's played three more seasons and is five years older than either of them! lol

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Blue said:

Because he's played three more seasons and is five years older than either of them! lol

You really missed the "since they've come into the league" part didn't you.  As in since sweat and Gary entered the league

Edited by bcb1213

9 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

You really missed the "since they've come into the league" part didn't you.  As in since sweat and Gary entered the league

A vet was more productive than first and second year players? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you

17 minutes ago, Blue said:

A vet was more productive than first and second year players? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you

So  three years doesn't work and five years doesn't work for u. Got it

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

My list started an irrational Blue rant. 

Mission accomplished 

Fwiw you made people question why Sweat was paid as Top 8 guy when comparable to Judon, so perfect,  

I’m removing Gary for the time being.   

5 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

So  three years doesn't work and five years doesn't work for u. Got it

Comparing things that are different generally doesn't work, no

Svalbard Miners

Offseason needs : QB, WR, OC, NT, RB

Cap space remaining: $64,363

Roster spots remaining: 20

What they did so far:

1.    Extended key defenders

A lot of focus of this Svalbard offseason thus far has been centered around the defense. And it started with the 3ups. Jaylon Johnson, who was traded at the deadline last year as an expiring, was obviously 3upped and will provide a CB1 for Svalbard. Jonathan Greenard, will get the chance to confirm his breakout 2023 year after being extended for 4 years. And Blake Cashman, another breakout player last year, also received a very reasonable deal in the offseason. The latter two will numerically replace Arik Armstead and Dee Greenlaw who were both let go in the offseason

2.    Had an active RFA

In order to not draft at all, SirA had a couple of picks that needed to disappear and he used RFA to do so. Svalbard bet heavily on Malcolm Koonce and Milton Williams by offering them expensive deals for relatively unproven players. But should that work out, they will get two players at premium positions for cheap. Unfortunately, someone had the audacity to bid on Alaric Johnson and SirA had to receive one draft pick - shame. 

3. Traded for a TE2

Svalbard WR3 position was somewhat of a weakness last year, despite the progess made by Jauan Jennings. SirA could have tackle the position in free agency, and maybe he will still do that, but he opted to get another TE to pair up with Sam LaPorta in Dalton Schultz. With a solid 12 personnel, whoever Svalbard dusts out of its mines at RB will have a chance for a solid year. Svalbard lost Josh Jacobs in this trade, but given that more or less 2 running backs break out every year on this franchise, I'm not worried about the RB situation there.

What remains to be done:

1.    Find a QB

Svalbard have lost Kirk Cousins in Free Agency. And if you look at the rest of the roster, besides center, there's no obvious need elsewhere on the roster. So, with 63K of cap, Svalbard will be able to throw the kitchen sink at the QB they covet. They might even sign two with that much cap space. SirA already eluded to someone he could pursue - we shall see

FA fit: Aaron Rodgers

2.    Find a center

Center is the other position with no current IRL starter on roster for Svalbard. Again, they will be more than able to sign the best player of the FA pool at the position given the amount of cap they have available

FA fit: Lloyd Cushenberry

3.    Upgrade somewhere with a luxury signing

Svalbard has a ton of cap and realistically two or three needs (though QB is the most expensive one). Once they allocate half their cap for these two + a SS, and once they work on depth issues they have at LB, RB and NT, they should have around 20Kish left to spend. They can keep that cap to resign someone like Davonta Smith, or go after an upgrade at a position where they have a BDL starter, but not a franchise cornerstone. Whether that's for a WR3, a LT, EDGE or somewhere else is an open question. Maybe someone who was not resigned for $1 will still be a target in Free Agency?

FA fit: Jerry Jeudy

Final assessment:

Yesterday, I singled out Rome as a complete team but that maybe lacked the top high-end talent here and there to be included in my Tier 1 of favorites for the year. Svalbard, QB situation aside, might be in the same boat. They have very few needs, a lot of cap to address them and should be able to sign a good QB to compete for this year. Yet, in the trenches mainly, I don't know if they have the sort of game-changing talent you need to win a BDL title. They certainly have some younger guys who might take that step, but, besides the obvious QB situation to solve, I think this might be SirA biggest challenge in this FA period

@SirA1

Next up: Greenland, but when they complete their 3up/3downs

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Good analysis Ted. I've gone back and forth over a few different QBs so we will see in two weeks who we land on. 

I do have an IRL starting Center in Olu Oluwatimi for the Seahawks. Former Rimington and Outland Trophy winner from '22. But will need competition there as I would always like to be three deep at OL because of injuries and the new 17 soon to be 18 game NFL season.

I currently have my eye on adding about 12 players in FA.

Armstead and Greenlaw are players we still like but not at their former BDL numbers. Greenlaw will likely not even play the first half of the upcoming BDL season at least while recovering from his injury sustained in the NFL playoffs.

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 1