Su'a Cravens to return to Redskins? Or another team?

MikeT14

Good points, I didn’t even know all of that. I still want him back, he’s a talented guy who makes game changing plays. We don’t have many of those on defense, even the ones we are paying tens of millions of dollars for.

If I remember correctly team leadership was supporting him. Meaning guys like Trent Williams. Compton wasn’t, but Compton is the anti-Sua, talked a good game and couldn’t back it up on the field.

If he comes back and plays well, the team will welcome him and the fan base. I’m a Sua fan, that’s not changing. I’ve wanted the redskins to draft him since I first saw him play at USC.

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Good points, I didn’t even know all of that. I still want him back, he’s a talented guy who makes game changing plays. We don’t have many of those on defense, even the ones we are paying tens of millions of dollars for.

If I remember correctly team leadership was supporting him. Meaning guys like Trent Williams. Compton wasn’t, but Compton is the anti-Sua, talked a good game and couldn’t back it up on the field.

If he comes back and plays well, the team will welcome him and the fan base. I’m a Sua fan, that’s not changing. I’ve wanted the redskins to draft him since I first saw him play at USC.

Huh??

Compton has had a better career and made more plays than Suzy. Makes game changing plays? Suzy has made exactly ONE game changing play IIRC.

Compton is the anti S'ua because he wants the defense to work like a team. S'ua wanted to work like 11 individuals. In other words, Compton was thinking like a leader. S'ua wasn't

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

You’re going to trust this guy to show up on game day?  Sometimes there’s addition by subtraction.

Why not?

What do "Me" players have in common? They want it to be about them. Now it is about Su'a and whether he's good enough to allow back. If he's looking for the cash, he very well could have 2-4 good years of production before his idiocy gets the better of him.

It's beyond slighted feelings - this is a business and certain skillsets are in need. The smart play is letting the diva climb that peak, and let some other team buy high. He wants to come back because the money calls him? Cool, make him an ILB again and go with Cardinals/Rams style of pass defending/blitzing ILB.

The Titans should have traded Haynesworth, but that was one example of a diva climbing that peak and the team letting him. Maximizing on the return for the good years and then letting another team take the risk. In the end, he did not have the desire to work everyday. 

The Redskins once offered 2 first round draft picks for Chad Johnson (back when he was good). Plenty of teams make the awful decision of buying high on the wrong guy, and typically the fanbase 'called it' in the sense they were right at the valuation of the player. 

Let Cravens climb next season. If you get lucky (DC Guenther and impact NT+ILB) you make the playoffs. Trade Cravens. Everyone is happy, or at the least the Redskins are. 

2 minutes ago, footy_29 said:

Why not?

What do "Me" players have in common? They want it to be about them. Now it is about Su'a and whether he's good enough to allow back. If he's looking for the cash, he very well could have 2-4 good years of production before his idiocy gets the better of him.

It's beyond slighted feelings - this is a business and certain skillsets are in need. The smart play is letting the diva climb that peak, and let some other team buy high. He wants to come back because the money calls him? Cool, make him an ILB again and go with Cardinals/Rams style of pass defending/blitzing ILB.

The Titans should have traded Haynesworth, but that was one example of a diva climbing that peak and the team letting him. Maximizing on the return for the good years and then letting another team take the risk. In the end, he did not have the desire to work everyday. 

The Redskins once offered 2 first round draft picks for Chad Johnson (back when he was good). Plenty of teams make the awful decision of buying high on the wrong guy, and typically the fanbase 'called it' in the sense they were right at the valuation of the player. 

Let Cravens climb next season. If you get lucky (DC Guenther and impact NT+ILB) you make the playoffs. Trade Cravens. Everyone is happy, or at the least the Redskins are. 

The problem is you're assuming he'll make that effort.  He could bail again at any second.  I think there's merit to cutting bait while you can.  Yes, we could maximize the return by rehabbing his image, but if he retires again midseason next year we'll end up with nothing.  The team would also be counting on him to fill a role which we could possibly address in the offseason if we knew he wasn't going to be here.

25 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The problem is you're assuming he'll make that effort.  He could bail again at any second.  I think there's merit to cutting bait while you can.  Yes, we could maximize the return by rehabbing his image, but if he retires again midseason next year we'll end up with nothing.  The team would also be counting on him to fill a role which we could possibly address in the offseason if we knew he wasn't going to be here.

To add to this is that you're sending a message to the team that its ok to quit and no repercussions. One reason our team sucks so much now is that mistakes are not punished severely enough. Quitting on your team right before Week 1 of the season is kinda a huge no-no. Why should we reward behavior like that?

11 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

To add to this is that you're sending a message to the team that its ok to quit and no repercussions. One reason our team sucks so much now is that mistakes are not punished severely enough. Quitting on your team right before Week 1 of the season is kinda a huge no-no. Why should we reward behavior like that?

He sat out for a year and didn't get paid. You get paid to play. He didn't play, he didn't get paid. 

3 minutes ago, footy_29 said:

He sat out for a year and didn't get paid. You get paid to play. He didn't play, he didn't get paid. 

His choice to forego that $. That was contractual. He cannot be allowed back in our locker room if you want us to become a mature organization. 

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Huh??

Compton has had a better career and made more plays than Suzy. Makes game changing plays? Suzy has made exactly ONE game changing play IIRC.

Compton is the anti S'ua because he wants the defense to work like a team. S'ua wanted to work like 11 individuals. In other words, Compton was thinking like a leader. S'ua wasn't

Well that’s true to an extent, but Compton was a starter over SUA CRAVENS as an ILB. For as many plays that’s Compton made I’d be willing to bet that Compton got smoked on twice as many. There’s a reason we signed Brown last offseason and that Compton didn’t remain a starter. While he’s smart and recognizes things, he’s not athletic, gets overpowered (two great combos to have) and he misses tackles and get beat in coverage rather easily.

You can’t deny we missed Sua on our roster this year, he wasn’t going to be an intrical part of our defense and still could be if whatever’s was going on is sorted out. 

31 minutes ago, the lone star said:

I owned Cravens in a dynasty league. I heard about the concussion last year.

Last year meaning 2016 yes, this year concussion? No, that was never talked about. He had a knee injury in training camp and then couldn’t decide if he wanted to retire or not so they put him on the reserves list and it wasn’t the injured resevee list. 

As Thai said he didn’t even get paid this year.

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Two can play that game, you’re assuming he won’t make the effort. 

Lets not forget that McCloughan said that Sua loves football and him taking time off was not because he didn’t love football.

Clearly what we need to do is draft another safety and ILB in round 1 and 2 to cover our bases here.

Derwin James in round 1 just in case Sua bails again and then Raquon Smith in round 2.

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Twin can play that game, you’re assuming he won’t make the effort. 

Lets not forget that McCloughan said that Sua loves football and him taking time off was not because he didn’t love football.

Clearly what we need to do is draft another safety and ILB in round 1 and 2 to cover our bases here.

Derwin James in round 1 just in case Sua bails again and then Raquon Smith in round 2.

Hell no

What I believe will happen: Allen will try to trade him, and end up releasing him.

What should happen: The team captains will nominate one other player to vote. They should be informed that prior to cleaning out their lockers for the season, they will be required to deliver a vote on whether or not Cravens should be retained by the Redskins or released. Whatever the vote is, that is the decision.

If retained, the team should progress as if they are NOT depending on Cravens. He will have to earn starting time again. Fortunately, that will be quite achievable, as he has the skill set that compliments Brown and Sweringer (Covering right ends)

Archived